Just been approved! Single foster carer

(11 Posts)
Notsurehow Mon 18-Nov-13 12:43:06

Munkymoo...I read your post and it could be me!! I started assessment in April and went to panel last Tuesday. I am also a single parent of an 8yr old DD!!
It really has been a rollercoaster and I have been approved for 5-18yrs.
Just waiting for that all important letter and then for a placement.
Whereabouts in the country are you?

Roshbegosh Mon 18-Nov-13 06:51:32

Yes that delayed CRB thing is a nuisance. My friend is desperate for a couple of hours break but after the assessment, approval and now six weeks into a terribly difficult placement her grown up family can't look after the child to help because still no CRB. The child is a teenager too. Personally I would break that rule after all my experience of SWs making demands but failing to do what they are required to do. Only with family that I know and trust of course.
You have done well OP. That is quite an achievement to look after a baby, your own DC, attend all that training and contact and support group and meetings and even the tedious and worthless CWDC. At least I thought so, I didn't learn anything really useful from it at all. All on your own, really, well done you!
You deserve thanks and cake

newfostermummy Sun 17-Nov-13 15:13:47

I'm a single carer, and had my 1st placement, a baby 3 weeks after panel. As none of my family or friends had been CRB'd, I was told no babysitters until the CRB came through. I had baby 24/7 on my own for 6 weeks! It was really hard. Contact with baby was in the daytime, so that was OK. I just found it really hard with little support. There was a host of training courses that I had to attend (after CRB's came through), and CWDC which I had to complete on my own. I did attend my local support group which was once a month. The worst thing was when I was feeling ill and just had to carry on, but then any single parent has to go through that. I have suggested to my LA that they be pro-active and ensure that prospective FC's have at least 1 person CRB'd by panel date so that the FC can hit the ground running.

Akasha09 Mon 21-Oct-13 12:53:56

Well done Monkeymoo!

waffletog Sat 19-Oct-13 22:20:42

Take the bull by the horns as the saying goes !!

I am a single carer, was a respite carer for 3 years working full time then still working full time with 1 foster child, decided earlier this year to get the house sorted to have 2 extra bedrooms and give up work.

I have my own 15yr old and 2 foster children 13 and 8.

It can be tough juggling school, clubs etc but I do not regret giving up work and taking on an extra child, still have room for another one which judging by what the SW says it won't be long!

I feel its the best thing decision I have taken in a very long time.

The very best of luck to you.

Munkymoo Sun 13-Oct-13 15:41:40

Thanks for your replies smile I will definitely ask for the friends and family I named as my support network to be crb'd for back up.

I heard there could be daily contact but hopefully if it's in school hours will be manageable.
Because I've been on my own with my daughter since she's been born, I'm used to not having anyone to take over when things get tough, but I'm hoping I'll manage ok with my friends giving me help if I need it.

How often do you attend support groups? I'm just thinking would I be allowed to have a friend babysit so I could go to these?
Thanks x

scarlet5tyger Sat 12-Oct-13 23:09:29

Hi, I am a single carer and yes it's difficult but certainly not unmanageable.

Your approved age group means that contact will most likely be in school hours so your own child will often be at school. That's the plus side. The negative side is that 0-4 year olds will be likely to have very frequent contact (could even be as often as daily) which is a pain, but does give you a bit of time to get errands and things run.

Make sure you have a good safe care plan - there's no-one to back up a single carer in the event of allegations.

Try and get your LA to approve as many support people as you can - my LA will still only let foster children go to approved and crb-checked if I'm not there (even though I am supposed to have delegated authority for things like this), and they will only pay for CrB checks for a couple of people.

Attend as many support groups as you can - you'll get much more support from your fellow foster carers than you will from anyone else.

Good luck, I hope you don't have too long to wait!

Mum2lots Sat 12-Oct-13 22:31:22

Assessment not assert !!!!

Mum2lots Sat 12-Oct-13 22:30:52

As above but your assert has found you will cope and you will xxxx

Roshbegosh Sat 12-Oct-13 22:18:06

I'm not a single foster carer myself but I think it will be hard to manage things like contact on your own. If you have to get the LO to contact, maybe three times a week or something, it is hard to manage when you have to drag your own child along.
The other thing is when it all gets on top of you it is nice to just leave things to DH and get a break. If you are not working then that will help a lot, my friends who foster do all work and then it is things like school exclusions and emergency meetings etc that are a particular challenge. Well done on getting approved and I am sure you will manage.

Munkymoo Sat 12-Oct-13 15:30:28

Hi everyone, this is my first post smile
I started my assessment in April and have been reading this board for a while but was too shy to say hi! But, this week I went to panel and am so happy I've been approved by my LA.
I'm a lone parent to my 8 year old daughter, and I've been approved for 1 child 0-4 or 2 if siblings.
It's been a complete rollercoaster of emotions the past 6 months, have given up my job now so am nervously waiting for my first placement. Hopefully won't have to wait too long.
Is anybody else a single foster carer? What challenges have you found so far.
Love munkymoo xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now