hackneylass...wishing you lots of luck!! xx

NanaNina Thu 29-Aug-13 18:48:23

So happy for you Aunty

threeandcounting Thu 29-Aug-13 12:27:30

Congratulations! grin flowers

hackneyLass Wed 28-Aug-13 21:45:24

Hey congratulations flowers
To the future!
(we're hoping ours will be settled in the next month)

MoreThanWords Wed 28-Aug-13 09:04:42

Congratulations!!

Yes, it's an intrusive process isn't it, but worth it in the end (mine was granted almost four years ago).

Hope all goes well from hereon-in x

lovesmileandlaugh Wed 28-Aug-13 08:50:30

Congratulations grin

auntycupcake Tue 27-Aug-13 23:37:46

just a quick message of support and encouragement for anyone going through the process of applying for a SGO!
Yes...its a painful experience where you feel torn between family and social services...especially when birth mum (sister in law) is contesting the placement with you and the care order!
Yes...you feel like your in the big brother house with the LA watching your every move!
Yes...its like being on "this is your life" as SS go further into your past than you care to remember.
Yes...your diary seems to fill up with appointments from professionals who you did not know existed (who then cancel at the very last minute!!)
and yes...the process seems to be never ending with court dates being made and then postponed, extra time being given for further assessments which you just know are going to be a waste of time, etc!
BUT...i can assure you it is all worth it! my partner and i have been granted a sgo of our 20 month niece today who has been with us under interim care orders since being removed from birth parents.
If I could give you any advice it would be to speak openly and honestly with guardians (they have such an influence in the whole process....my guardian sorted out the financial aspect of the SGO in my case. Something which my SW insisted was correct until the guardian spoke up and disagreed!)
and get legal representation and advice! speak to your SW regarding available funding for this from LA. I have not paid a penny for legal advice or representation in court and it is safe to say without my solicitor i do not know how i would of understood what was going on.
today i feel like a lead weight has been lifted off my shoulders...i can finally begin to plan my future and i actually feel like i am in control of my life for the first time in a while!
so just think of the end goal which always has to be the childs best interests with regards to their welfare and let that be your incentive to keep going!!
i really sympathise with family members who have applied for SGO and have to wait for the order to be granted before a child can be placed with them...i have thankfully had my niece with me for the duration and seeing how she has developed and changed since being a carer for her has made me more determined!
Good luck everybody...if anybody wants to ask anything feel free! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now