"Skills to Foster" - What to expect?

(21 Posts)
Sarahjess Thu 23-May-13 08:29:01

Wow, another eye opening evening about fostering. 2 more to go. Panel date has been pencilled in too. Love this journey, looking forward to being able to help these poor little souls in such an awful situation in their lives.

Sarahjess Tue 21-May-13 08:27:18

Only 3 more skills sessions, wow it has all moved so fast. This is such an amazing journey. Looking forward to Panel x

Sarahjess Wed 15-May-13 18:07:10

Gillian 1980 & Bumble86, last nights session was a real eye-opener! Safeguarding! Wow! Got homework to do for next week, sw coming Monday, full steam ahead. Much happier than 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to moving forwards in this roller coaster smile xx. Thank you for you support, it means so much xxxx

Bumble86 Wed 15-May-13 13:00:57

Glad things are going well Sarahjess smile

Gillian1980 Mon 13-May-13 12:35:22

Glad things are back on track and I hope the next session goes well. Its a good thing that your DH is really thinking things through, SWs like to see that people are reflecting on the process.

Sarahjess Mon 13-May-13 08:07:05

Gillian1980. So back on track, Skills tomorrow night and I'm really looking forward to it, hubby seems quiet, but happy to be attending with me. Fingers crossed it will be a good session smile

Sarahjess Sat 11-May-13 06:20:49

Gillian1980' Thank you for your supportive words smile. We saw our sw his week and she was great, she managed on explain so many different situations to hubby, it put back on track! Yippee. Roll on next session xx

Gillian1980 Fri 10-May-13 14:04:59

Sarahjess, I can see what he means as it can be very overwhelming and frustrating having so many people involced. But you're right, the child needs those professionals and they can also provide you guys with a lot of support during difficult times.

I hope the rest of the evening sessions go well.

Bumble86 Fri 10-May-13 12:10:46

We've just completed our 2 days!! WOOP! It was really full-on intensive but then life will be even more like that when we are foster parents. We went through lots of case studies & scenarios. Group work, couples. It was really good, now I'm just nervous again about their review of the training meeting on Monday and who of us will go forward to assessment!!

Sarahjess Fri 03-May-13 15:06:47

All the people that are involved with each child placed. So many professionals, thinks its all too much for him to deal with. Not a just a child that needs everything we have to offer, it's all the other people. I really hope he can come to understand that each child needs all those people, but that we are the foster carers.

Gillian1980 Fri 03-May-13 12:08:56

What in particular did your hubby struggle with Sarahjess?

Sarahjess Thu 02-May-13 21:28:21

Oh and we have 5 more evening sessions to attend :/

Sarahjess Thu 02-May-13 21:25:45

We attended our 2nd skills to foster meeting this week, I found it eye-opening, hubby however is at a bit of a hurdle with it. See our ssw next week, really hope she can help hubby.

Bumble86 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:49:41

Oh i see. Think it'll be different because we're with an IFA too, thanks smile

lostonline Wed 24-Apr-13 09:59:04

I think it must work differently in different areas as we already had a social worker and had started assessments. Probably because we are in smaller area they only have the courses every other month so the training just slots in when it can.

Bumble86 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:30:54

Thank-you! It's always helpful to have the experience of others to have a picture of what might happen!

lostonline, was there one social worker for all of the families? I didn't think we'd meet one until home assessment?

Also, when did you find out about going forward actually?!

Catfriend Wed 24-Apr-13 07:47:48

I agree with both of the above. Be yourself and remember everyone has different opinions (know it all on my skills to foster, who wouldn't listen to other people's opinion) ask all the questions you want to ask. We had a foster carer join one of our sessions which I found a great help. I really enjoyed the course goodluck let us know how you get onsmile

lovesmileandlaugh Wed 24-Apr-13 07:30:51

Pretty much that, for some people in our group it seemed a real shock as to the problems kids can come with, others found safer caring hard to come to terms with. Just be yourselves. Say what you want to say and engage with it. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing. Believe me if you are thinking the wrong thing, they'll know by the end of the assessment process! They don't expect people to know it all, I think they like people willing to engage and learn. I really enjoyed the course, although it was quite tiring by the end of the day!

lostonline Wed 24-Apr-13 06:54:33

Sorry on my phone !
We had experienced foster carers attending who talked about their experiences.
Good luck and hope you enjoy it

lostonline Wed 24-Apr-13 06:52:42

Hi ours had six families and was three days long. It was made up of a series of short talks followed by group exercises. All of the group was observed by an assessor who reported back to our social worker about our contribution. We were told that if there was anything negative that they would speak to us at the end of the day to give us a chance to explain what we meant. We really enjoyed the training and learnt alot. I don't really enjoy small group work but found I just had to get on with it and it was ok It's good to meet up with others in the same situation and we also had s

Bumble86 Tue 23-Apr-13 21:37:02

My hubby and I are attending our 2 day training in 2 weeks time and I just wondered what to expect? Advice/tips?! smile Am not sure, but think it might be as many as 12 fostering families. How much input will be expected of us?

Thank-you in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now