Thinking of providing respite

(8 Posts)
redgate Thu 18-Apr-13 13:47:53

Hahaha it's a bit of a controverial issue!!

The word 'respite' means a "delay or cessation for a time, especially of anything distressing or trying; an interval of relief: to toil without respite"

Of course looking after kids is hard work, and all carers are entitled to a break - but in the area I work in, when talking about providing a break for birth parents of disabled kids, we call it a 'short break' - a bit more positive, though exactly the same thing as respite!! wink

ComeYoniWithMe Thu 18-Apr-13 13:02:39

We're still called respite carers. No idea it was politically incorrect!

fostermumtomany Wed 17-Apr-13 12:31:05

well our LA Lancashire, have just emailed all carers to tell them that respite will no longer be provided at all. ever.

redgate Wed 17-Apr-13 10:15:56

Where do you live? Most local councils have a similar thing, or there are IFA's and charities like Barnado's you could try. An alternative would be to see if you could support a child via Direct Payments? (A lot less faffing about with being approved etc)

SpottedDots Tue 16-Apr-13 11:48:48

I can't keep up with the political correctness, it changes every day I think!

That website is exactly what I was looking for I think. The really worrying thing is that there is nothing in my area, although I shouldn't be surprised about that. I used to look after my friends little boy for a few hours every weekend because she couldn't find anything suitable.

redgate Tue 16-Apr-13 11:33:38

http://www.shortbreaksnetwork.org.uk/

redgate Tue 16-Apr-13 11:32:29

Hi look at the short breaks network website - that is a brilliant place to start smile or feel free to send me a pm, I have been a short break carer (respite is not politically correct!) for 6 years and I abolutely love it smile

SpottedDots Mon 15-Apr-13 15:41:21

I have looked into fostering quite a lot over the years and it is something that I would really like to start doing in a few years. At the moment I need to be working full time and my job isn't flexible enough. I would like to offer weekends mainly and a few weeks in the holidays.

My problem is I have no idea where to start looking. I can find plenty on fostering but very little on respite. I'm also worried that I may be too young for it, a few of the fostering agencies I have looked into have a minimum age of 25 and I am 23, so obviously I would need to check up on that.

I would like to offer it to children with disabilities, I have experience and training in a wide range of disabilities so I have a good idea of what is involved although I know it will be completely different to everything I have done before. But it is also not something that I have suddenly decided to do without really thinking about it.

So does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what other websites I can look at?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now