Has anyone studied the OU course K218- working with children, young people and families?

(4 Posts)
lovesmileandlaugh Thu 07-Mar-13 13:38:14

If so, what do you think? Do you feel it was any benefit to your experiences as a foster carer?
I am coming to the end of this course and have found it very interesting, although our assessing social worker hasn't really seemed to find it relevant when I've asked about concepts.

willitbe Tue 12-Mar-13 16:49:55

I studied one of the previous courses k251 I think it was, but same title. I did it years ago, all I remember was that it seemed to be aimed solely at social workers, and so was a bit disappointed with the course. But I did find it interesting at the time.

How do you find the new course?

lovesmileandlaugh Fri 15-Mar-13 14:55:26

It has been very interesting, and certainly made me think about my views about the social construction of children and how they are viewed in society. I have just written an assignment looking at studies to improve resilience in looked after children, so yes I think it will be useful.
Having not come from a child or social work background, I think the underpinning knowledge is useful.

willitbe Fri 15-Mar-13 17:10:00

I found studying attachment theories in the social science foundation course to be more directly applicable to fostering. Did you so that course?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now