Can someone tell me about the assessment process please?

(6 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Mon 18-Feb-13 10:51:49

I'm a single parent, dd is 10 and would like to foster, am particularly interested in respite or fostering children with special needs as I have lots of experience.

My parents are local so I have a good support network.

What does the process involve apart from home and medical checks?

I presume they will talk to my dd s school? To my parents? Will they want to talk to dd s father?

musickeepsmesane Mon 18-Feb-13 18:29:59

Hi Marius. Great you are thinking of fostering and also good you have a support network. For your assessment you will need references (we needed 6!), at least 2 of your referees will be visited by your assessor. The process is about 6 months and includes the skills to foster course and some homework. Your dd will be talked to for her views as well. My kids had left home and were interviewed but I don't think they talk to the school. The birth father of my children was not talked to because they could not get hold of him but they did try. It is a long process and toward the end we were getting pretty fed up!! Suddenly tho' it is all done and you are ready for panel. We have never looked back. It is worth it in the end! Good luck.

bonnieslilsister Mon 18-Feb-13 20:44:33

Hi Marius, Like music , I had to provide 6 referees. My sw chose who she would visit and who she would write to for written references. My children's birth father was interviewed and my dc's school was contacted and the teachers talked to. I would think they will talk to your parents, too.
There was a health and safety check of my house and garden. I cant think of anything else at the moment. Good luck smile

lovesmileandlaugh Mon 18-Feb-13 20:56:34

We also have had all ex-partners contacted, childrens school, our employers, referees, dh's step daughter from previous marriage.
We have 8-10 2 hour meetings with SW, skills to foster course, bank statements and financial stuff handed over. CRB, thorough medical. Check of house and garden. Assessment of dog. Our children have been talked with.
It is a pretty intrusive full on process!

bonnieslilsister Mon 18-Feb-13 21:37:05

Totally forgot about the financial stuff, check of statements
such embarrassment blush

musickeepsmesane Mon 18-Feb-13 22:46:13

I don't think we had our finances checked, at least I don't remember. I also forgot about the dog being checked tho'. Sorry. Also health and safety - we had a stream in our garden and had to have safety net on trampoline, stuff like that. My parents weren't talked to which, now I think about it, was probably an oversight and for the best blush!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now