childminding and fostering

(6 Posts)
Panadbois Wed 05-Jun-13 08:22:15

Thanks for your message.

I decided against it in the end as it was taking me further from my dream

i'm glad it's working for you, though its a shame you have to supplement your fostering payment. We all know that Fostering in a full time job, as in 24/7 not 9-5 grin

libbyharry Fri 31-May-13 18:04:16

Hi Panadbois, Only just seen this thread, I am a childminder & Foster carer & have been for the last 10 years, I was a childminder first, for me this has worked very well, I explain to parents of child minded that I foster explain about reviews & SW visits & have yet to come unstuck. I also explain to SW etc that my day off is a Thursday & if possible could I have my visits on that day same with reviews, my LA have tried their best to accommodate this. Hope everything going well for you.

Panadbois Fri 25-Jan-13 15:40:39

I was thinking of only taking on one. my LO is well settled, only 21 months and will be with me for a while yet. It would be the same as taking on a newborn as a FC placement?

Also thinking of doing three/four days which allows time for fostering work. Lac reviews few and far between.

SW visits could fall on 'day off'..... I am testing the water here on MN before discussing it with my SW, I don't want her to think I'm blackmailing her into finding a second placement out of thin air!

LaurieBlueBell Fri 25-Jan-13 15:24:21

My LA wont allow it but I do know two carers who work for IFAs who do it.

IMO I don't really think it is workable and not really fair to most children who come into the care system.

Panadbois Thu 24-Jan-13 13:24:07

I have read old threads and this idea isn' t very popular.

I might still apply to go on the introductory course in March and see what happens first, a second placement or childminding.

Panadbois Thu 24-Jan-13 11:39:15

Is it do- able? Are there any rules that say I can' t do it?

It' s not very often I go to meetings and they give plenty of notice, so maybe could manage one placement one mindee?

Or even do community childminding for Social Service?? (Thinking aloud here)

I' m fostering for LA at the moment, and need some more money coming in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now