childminding and fostering

(6 Posts)
Panadbois Thu 24-Jan-13 11:39:15

Is it do- able? Are there any rules that say I can' t do it?

It' s not very often I go to meetings and they give plenty of notice, so maybe could manage one placement one mindee?

Or even do community childminding for Social Service?? (Thinking aloud here)

I' m fostering for LA at the moment, and need some more money coming in.

Panadbois Thu 24-Jan-13 13:24:07

I have read old threads and this idea isn' t very popular.

I might still apply to go on the introductory course in March and see what happens first, a second placement or childminding.

LaurieBlueBell Fri 25-Jan-13 15:24:21

My LA wont allow it but I do know two carers who work for IFAs who do it.

IMO I don't really think it is workable and not really fair to most children who come into the care system.

Panadbois Fri 25-Jan-13 15:40:39

I was thinking of only taking on one. my LO is well settled, only 21 months and will be with me for a while yet. It would be the same as taking on a newborn as a FC placement?

Also thinking of doing three/four days which allows time for fostering work. Lac reviews few and far between.

SW visits could fall on 'day off'..... I am testing the water here on MN before discussing it with my SW, I don't want her to think I'm blackmailing her into finding a second placement out of thin air!

libbyharry Fri 31-May-13 18:04:16

Hi Panadbois, Only just seen this thread, I am a childminder & Foster carer & have been for the last 10 years, I was a childminder first, for me this has worked very well, I explain to parents of child minded that I foster explain about reviews & SW visits & have yet to come unstuck. I also explain to SW etc that my day off is a Thursday & if possible could I have my visits on that day same with reviews, my LA have tried their best to accommodate this. Hope everything going well for you.

Panadbois Wed 05-Jun-13 08:22:15

Thanks for your message.

I decided against it in the end as it was taking me further from my dream

i'm glad it's working for you, though its a shame you have to supplement your fostering payment. We all know that Fostering in a full time job, as in 24/7 not 9-5 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now