Panel date!!!!!

(36 Posts)
Catfriend Wed 23-Jan-13 09:06:46

hi I've got my panel date!!!! Hopefully if my ssw gets everything done on time!!! It's not for a good few months yet tho. Is there anything I need to do to prepare myself??

NanaNina Tue 09-Apr-13 20:30:08

Aah thanks for your kind words Catfriend - truth is I miss my job a lot because I loved it, so I like helping others where I can. Yes a lot of people are amazed when they read their form. After all it's not often people ask you for your life story and then write it down. I remember a lovely lady (granny being assessed as a kinship carer for her grand daughter) and I had completed everything and we went to panel and all was fine. I was about to wish her well and she completly shocked me and said "see you next Wednesday then, usual time....." I had told her that I was carrying out her assessment for the LA on an independent basis and hopefully she would get a SSW from the LA, but she hadn't taken it in.

Even when I tried to explain again, she said "well can't you just come anyway" (I had to gently say sorry but No) Don't know if she ever got a SSW as the LA was Birmingham City Council and they were very short of social workers and in quite a mess.

So glad you liked your Form F and a few tears of emotion don't go amiss. You will be fine at Panel and the hard work starts when the children arrive!

Catfriend Thu 11-Apr-13 15:33:57

Thanks NanaNina. I'm still unsure on when to hand my notice in at work?!!! One lady I've spoke to waited 3 weeks for her 'Final letter' of approval to actually go through!!!!

NanaNina Thu 11-Apr-13 17:27:31

The thing is that the panel can only recommend approval, and all the paperwork has to be sent to the Agency decision maker. It's a formality but the trouble is they are meant to read the paperwork and I'm sure they only skim it, but if there has been a long panel (maybe 8 or 9 applicants) there is a lot of paperwork.

I would definitely wait till you get your letter of approval. Some carers wait a long time for their first placement too, so it would be quite in order to say you couldn't take placments until you had worked your notice.

lostonline Fri 12-Apr-13 12:35:26

HI Catfriend

We only had to wait a week for the letter to come through. It may be worth asking on the day how long it they except it to take.
I agree about reading through your forms - its strange to see your life all written down in black and white
Good luck - I am sure you will be OK !

Catfriend Mon 15-Apr-13 07:47:36

Hi lostonline. I'm hoping that my letter only takes a week then I can hand my notice in sooner rather than later. I can eventually see light at the end of this long assessment smile

Catfriend Fri 19-Apr-13 07:41:32

Well I've been to panel and everything went good. Just waiting for the 'official' letter to say I've been approvedsmile

lostonline Fri 19-Apr-13 08:02:46

Well done - did they ask lots of questions ? Hopefully the letter will arrive next week. What age children have you been approved for ? Have you decided when to had in your notice at work ? Congratulations

Catfriend Wed 24-Apr-13 07:43:31

Thanks lostonline. They asked me 6 questions, but I got the questions about 10 minutes before I went in. Which gave me and my SSW a chance to read through them and write notes downsmile I'm hopefully going to be approved for birth to 8 with a preference to under 5's. As soon as I receive the letter then I can hand my notice insmile

lostonline Wed 24-Apr-13 10:43:56

Great news - how long will you have to work after you have handed in your notice? Its going to be a real change for you.
We have been permanently matched with 2 school aged girls and we are hopefully meeting them for the first time today. Its all been very stressful because the current foster carers are not happy with the match and we have been left feeling like the bad guys. Hoping today will go well and everyone will be happier at the end of it.

lostonline Fri 17-May-13 09:48:55

Hi Catfriend
Just wondering what is happening with you - any news ?

Catfriend Thu 30-May-13 08:30:48

Hi lostonline I handed my notice in, done my notice and I have no placementsad which means no incomesad I am rather worried with the no income situation!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now