Glasgow LA

(10 Posts)
MoelFammau Sat 12-Jan-13 17:01:03

Can anyone give me any insights into fostering with Glasgow City Council? I've emailed but had no reply. Good and bad things appreciated. I especially need to know the financial side because I'm going have to give up my job (single parent). Need to be sure I can survive for the sake of my daughter.

I also contacted Barnardos at the same time and received an info pack the next day in the post, so I'm feeling a bit torn. On one hand I want to support the LA but if they can't even answer an email at the early inquiry stage, how are they going to be when I might really need them?

Any advice at all? Are they actually really supportive but a bit snowed under?

bonnieslilsister Sat 12-Jan-13 20:40:08

You could try phoning Moel you might get more success. I believe they are snowed under maybe literally too . I am in Scotland but not Glasgow. I guess it is for you to decide what you are looking for ie support or definite placements. I think you would almost certainly get the placements with Glasgow but then if you are in Glasgow you might get the placements with Barnardos too. You could always ask barnardos when you see them how many children they have placed in Glasgow over the last year and also what age range do they normally place.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on smile

MoelFammau Sun 13-Jan-13 01:36:39

Thank you, I'll try them on Monday. Really don't want to sound grasping, just need to have definite financial information to make sure I don't end up ruined by good intentions!

I actually don't mind gaps in placement too much, as during these spells I could freelance out in my old job. It's the long term picture though - if I ended up fostering a child for 12+ months, I'd have no way of topping up my income.

Re bedrooms, I have a 2 double room flat with a massive living room. Do you think the LA would mind if I put my bed in a corner of the living room and screened it off a bit? That would provide both my daughter and a foster child with their own room. Would that count?

lovesmileandlaugh Sun 13-Jan-13 12:05:33

It took me a long time and a lot of perserverance to get going with our LA. A LOT of unreturned phonecalls. Don't get too disheartened. Just see it as them prioritising the children and carers they have over prospective carers in a world of very little resources and not enough to go around. Keep badgering them, it shows resiliance and keenness on your part!
Good luck!

MoelFammau Mon 14-Jan-13 00:50:38

That's a good point, Loves.

gallivantsaregood Tue 15-Jan-13 12:44:09

Mole, it's fantastic that you want to do this. :-D

However, your current living situation doesn't really sound suitable. I really don't think the LA, and know for sure Barnardos would not be ok with you slerping in the living room, sharing your daughter's room or your daughter and foster child sharing. I feel bad being the bearer of bad news. SORRY.

Would there be any way of making a 3rd bedroom at all?

MoelFammau Tue 15-Jan-13 18:27:45

I just had a chat with Glasgow LA and told them all the reasons I might be a bad choice - renting, only 2 rooms, toddler daughter, dog... And they said so far I've not put them off! I did say I only could foster a baby so maybe they think the baby would share my room anyway...?

They seemed lovely and I'm going to chat again tomorrow. Maybe Glasgow has such a crisis that some things can slide...?

We'll see. Quite excited!

gallivantsaregood Wed 16-Jan-13 14:52:22

Oh thats good. Sorry I wasn't thinking about babies as most LAs have lits of Fc who will look after babies.

On that basis I'd stick with L.A as Barnardos don't have many babies placed with them

Good luck and well done for taking the. 1st step :-D

MoelFammau Thu 17-Jan-13 16:28:11

Thank you! Going to their Intro Meeting on Feb 5th.

Very excited.

bonnieslilsister Thu 17-Jan-13 19:43:22

Good luck op and let us know how you get on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now