Sw 1st visit at home - what are the next steps?

(4 Posts)
Rosyisgonnabeamummy Thu 10-Jan-13 20:58:00

Hi
We filled in our first 'we are interested' form and the sw has called to arrange a home visit. What is this for? Do I have to make my house child safe for this visit? Our kitchen is a bit upside down and the cleaning cupboard is actually a box......so not child safe as such!

So what will she ask?

Then what happens?

Thanks in advance xxx

TulipsfromAmsterdam Thu 10-Jan-13 21:22:57

The first visit we had lasted about an hour and was very informal. The sw looked around the house and garden but she didn't check cupboards had locks or anything.
The actual assessment was more thorough when recommendations are made regarding safety throughout the house.
Most of the visit was spent chatting about why we wanted to foster, bedrooms available and age group we were most interested in etc. After this it was a case of waiting for the next available place on the Skills to Foster course and then starting assessment. She will explain the procedures during the meeting.
Good luck x

Rosyisgonnabeamummy Fri 11-Jan-13 09:02:11

Thanks very much tulips

Quite exciting!!

NanaNina Fri 11-Jan-13 18:58:14

I am a retired social worker and team manager of a Fostering & Adoption team and so have carried out many many assessments on prospective foster carers and adoptors.

I agree with what Tulips says is the usual sort of visit. It's a chance to get to know each other and talk about fostering in general. As far as the house is concerned, I think it is easy to tell more or less right away if it's an ok place in terms of hygiene and whether it is warm and comfortable (especially in this weather!) Coffee is usually offered and I would usually follow the appct into the kitchen and chat (which gave me a chance to have a quick look at the kitchen to see if if was basically clean). I would ask to see the bedroom where the child would sleep. I would point out any obvious dangers (like open plan stairs) on this visit, but there is a Health & Safety check done on the house and garden later on.

Your house doesn't have to be ultra tidy, lived in look is ok. Just be yourself and take the opportunity to ask anything you want to - this is a 2 way street!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now