What made you go ahead?

(3 Posts)
plainjayne123 Fri 23-Nov-12 20:40:16

I started 2 years ago when my son was 2 and 1/2 and my daughter was 4. Our LA will only allow you to foster children at least 2 years younger than your youngest birth child so we could only have babies and that suits us very well. I always had fostering in the back of my mind somewhere but decided to give it a go earlier than I had anticipated because I diddn't want to go back to my career but I wanted to do something worthwhile. It fits in with being able to be at home for my birth children and I enjoy working with the other professionals. I would say go for it, there will be really tough times but it will make you stronger!

bonnieslilsister Thu 22-Nov-12 22:01:48

I thought about fostering for years before doing it but the time wasn't right until 4 years ago. I love fostering. I do mainly 0-4 but have had children all ages. The only drawback about fostering lo's is the high level of contact you have to drive fc to and also the numerous meetings. I end up having to pay a child minder whilst I go to the meetings. Good luck smile

messtins Tue 20-Nov-12 21:19:22

I've been mulling over fostering for a long time. I keep deciding it's not practical for us but I also can't let it go.
I have 2 DCs, 6 and nearly 3. We have a 4 bedroom house so 1 spare bedroom. DH works full time Mon-Fri and I work part time, 2 days in the week and some weekends in a job that I trained a long time for and mostly enjoy. I can only work the hours I do because DH's job is fairly flexible allowing him to do pick-ups on those days.
I know my own children would probably have to be a little older before I could take in FC. I'd only want to take age groups I already had experience with as I appreciate FC are likely to have needs over and above my own DCs, I'd see myself as taking older children as time went on.
I worry about giving up my "career" for something poorly paid and an unreliable income. On bad days I wonder how I'd cope with FCs when my own DCs are capable of driving me batty! I also worry about giving up family time, freedom to travel to see relatives, being able to holiday without seeking permission etc.
If my DH was promoted above his current grade it's likely that expectations of him travelling more and being around longer would increase and that would make my current working hours unviable. Hopefully though that would also take the pressure off me to be earning a second salary.
In so many ways it seems daft to even consider it, but it's not going away, so I'm curious what spurred other people on to become a foster carer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now