Interesting Guardian article

(3 Posts)
cdw97 Mon 05-Nov-12 23:59:33

Hello, I have been lurking here for a while and we have just been approved as foster carers - to provide respite care. Thanks everyone here for the interesting posts and comments. I've just read this article www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/31/who-profits-from-being-in-care and though it an interesting overview of care.

Fosterangel Tue 06-Nov-12 16:32:15

Good website! Many thanks. I have saved to favourites to have a good read later.
I like the Community Care website for mooching around on http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Home/ and there are some good articles on there.
Nothing like a good lurk, followed by a good mooch!

scarlet5tyger Tue 06-Nov-12 19:01:37

Thank you, really interesting article.

I was especially pleased to see it highlighted that the £30-60k it costs to keep a child in foster care for a year doesn't go to the foster carer!

Several foster carers I know who foster long term have continued to care for their FC long after they reached 16. Of course they no longer received money for this. Their FC have now been through college and university and are all in employment. In an age when children are remaining at home longer than ever surely this should extend to FC too? I know it would not meet govt approval as it would involve spending the money they'd prefer to keep giving their rich friends in the banks, but I live in hope.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now