Lovely experience to share

(7 Posts)
gallivantsaregood Wed 24-Oct-12 15:14:34

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share our wonderful experience. We recently had our 1st placement. A little 6 month old baby. She is such a happy, contented baby and such a dream to care for. Her family were also very accepting and trusting of us which was an amazing experience and not what we were expecting.

We looked after this little bundle for 5 weeks and yesterday she returned to family (not parents) where I am 100% sure she will be loved and nurtured as she should be. It was sad for us for her to go but she is where she should be and family, including her mum have been adamant they want to keep in touch.

Today I had to pick my own son up early from school as he is not very well and returned home to find a huge bouquet of flowers at the back door....... from baby's mum. I am so touched and grateful that they were able to place such trust in us.

I do know that what we have experienced is far from what many people experience, but just wanted to share how it can be

What a lovely way to begin our fostering lives. xxxx.

NanaNina Wed 24-Oct-12 15:38:50

WOW - that is unbelievably unusual - flowers from the birthmum!! Never heard of it before. You have indeed had a good start. Don't be disappointed though if the family of this LO don't keep in touch; they often say they will at the time.

Hope your next placement will be along soon.

gallivantsaregood Wed 24-Oct-12 15:43:46

Thanks Nana. We are prepared for them not to stay in touch and have explained that although we would love it, they should do what is right for them. The request to stay in touch came from them.

I am really gobsmacked to be honest. This is not what we expected at all smile ( And we won't be expcting it in future either....lol)

Fosterangel Wed 24-Oct-12 22:16:49

Wow! That has made my week. What a lovely gesture and one that will stay with you and warm your heart now that the lo has gone to family. No foster carer expects thanks so it is all the more welcome to hear how much the family of this lo valued your care.

I hope your next placement brings you just as much joy.
xxx

bonnieslilsister Wed 24-Oct-12 22:46:49

Wow! Well done. I hope you get another placement soon. It is lovely you were appreciated. I did have a thank you card last week

chocaholic2011 Thu 25-Oct-12 09:54:03

How fantastic!!! Well done!!! I have to say we have been extremely lucky too, with both the placements we have had the mums have spoken up in reviews to say they are really pleased with the care we are providing!

We see our first placement (adopted) every few weeks and have a brilliant relationship with her mum and dad. We were even lucky enough to be invited to their celebration day and they refer to us as auntie and uncle as they say we are her family too. What could be nicer!!!!

Good luck with the next one!! Xx

gallivantsaregood Thu 25-Oct-12 16:09:16

Bonnie : That's lovely too smile

Choca: That's a lovely heartwarming story too smile

Fosterangel: You are right, I certainly didn't expect thanks and tbh if I was in mum's shoes I would have struggled to be civil to the person looking after my baby and who found her 1st tooth, saw her roll for the 1st time etc etc....All credit to her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now