will she adapt ok

(63 Posts)
fostermumtomany Sat 06-Oct-12 15:26:35

i have a 2 year old going to adoptive parents soon. she has been with us since she was a very young baby.
im worried about how easily she will settle in with her new family. when we talk to her about the adoption she is adament she is not going. (she is a very very bright 2 year old), if we say " whose getting a new mummy and daddy" she will say "not me i stay with you" or "i got mummy and daddy, you mummy he daddy", meaning my hubby. this is depsite the fact she has never ever called us mummy and daddy, always by our first names.
im so worried that she wont settle and will spend all her time being upset or thinking we didnt want her.
i have moved a child onto adoption so many times before but i have never had such a clever lo before. she knows what she wants and what she doesnt want and at the moment she definately does not want to move.
how can i help her. can someone help me with this. have you been through this too? bridging is hard enough without worrying that the lo is going to be devastated.
any advice would be appreciated.

Pointeshoes Thu 12-Dec-13 09:55:23

This is heartbreaking. First time I've read it, just so so sad.

busygirl Tue 10-Dec-13 21:15:18

me too,i keep thinking about you OP

thenamestheyareachanging Sat 07-Dec-13 22:47:17

This thread has made my decision not to foster. I'm so sorry for fostermumtomany and the poor little girl. How can they do this?

Mum2lots Fri 15-Nov-13 00:58:35

Ow xxxxx no words just owwwwww

Lilka Wed 13-Nov-13 22:21:37

Me too, I cried at the time, and I'm crying reading it back through

I hope she has settled more now and OP I hope you will find time is a help to you, even the tiniest help. I am so sorry

Roshbegosh Wed 13-Nov-13 21:19:56

Me too, it's truly painful to read. I hope the child is going to be ok and the OP.

bouncingbelle Wed 13-Nov-13 19:37:56

This thread made me cry at the time and I,ve never forgotten it. Is there any update on how she settled or whether the birth family appealed?

fostermumtomany Tue 19-Mar-13 02:17:14

we saw her last month.
she looks perfect. everything went really well but then as we were leaving I asked for a kiss. she was sat on her daddys knee at the time, as I bent down to kiss her goodbye she grabbed my arm and drew me in for a hug and said I come home now with you?
I had to detangle myself and walk away so she wouldn't see me cry, she was screaming for me to come back. "don't leave gen, I sorry I good girl" how do I forget that? how do I get that out of my head?
she has been gone 4 months.
will this ever get better? please please tell me it will.

MoelFammau Sat 12-Jan-13 16:00:06

I was wondering if the OP had resolved things a little over the past 2 months? I'm considering becoming a foster carer and this thread had me in tears. I can't get my head around the fact that the little girl wanted to stay in her foster home, the OP desperately wanted to have her, yet SW disregarded all feelings. Hoping the bigger picture was for the best, I really do. Any news either way would be gratefully received. Thinking of you, OP.

Piffyonarock Wed 28-Nov-12 23:46:03

Hi Fostermumtomany, I'm glad you've come back, I've logged in most days as I really feel for you, and I'm sorry it is so painful. You need time to grieve, it is a very hard thing to lose a child and it is very like a bereavement.

I don't know if this is any comfort, but when we adopted our DD she and her foster family were very attached and she found it hard to settle with us. It has been nearly a year, and she's very much one of us now but it did take a long time and she missed her foster family such a lot. The adopters don't sound like they are being very sensible and certainly not sensitive but they might be feeling extremely panicky and under pressure (we feared that our child might be taken away if we appeared not to be coping, family and friends expect it to be a wonderful happy ending when you bring your child home and the reality can be so different at first etc). I've lost count of the amount of well meaning people who have suggested we cut all ties for our DDs sake, and the adopters might possibly think they are acting this way for good reasons.

However, having come through it we would say that keeping contact is the best way, although it did come at the price of setting her back to begin with. I suppose all I would say is, if you can in these circumstances, try not to close the door as the adopters may come round after a while. We were spurred on as it was our second adoption and we have a great relationship with our first foster carers so we knew it could work. It is a difficult set of circumstances to build an adult relationship in at the best of times and I think sometimes by the time adopters are ready for contact they can feel that too much time has passed and it won't be welcomed.

I really hope you feel better about things soon and that everything comes good for you and your LO, you sound lovely and you'll have really made a difference to her life whatever happens.

Look after yourself. You do a great job.

BusterTheDonk Wed 28-Nov-12 12:45:07

Fostermumtomany.. I'm so glad you've come back on... I think we've all been really worried for you...

I am so sorry to hear you are in so much pain and can only try and imagine how hard it is not to have her with you..let alone the 'parents' not wanting any contact or any recognition of her past life... I think this is quite common.

I don't know what to say... I think some wounds never heal and all you can do is take each day as it comes..

I am trying to think of anything that would be a small consolation to me in this circumstance (a huge possibility/certainty) and I know there is nothing...

It is normal to grieve.. it is a type of bereavement.. only worse somehow because you know she is still 'there' but not available to you...

Are you a member of fostertalk? They have a counselling service...

Its good to talk - it will eat away at you if you don't let it out...

Let us know if any of us can do anything for you...

Take care x

scarlet5tyger Wed 28-Nov-12 09:59:25

Fostermumtomany, I'm so sorry things are still difficult. When the child I bonded with most left it took me many months to get over it (and probably still am getting over it!) it was also difficult to bond with the next child who came along, although of course eventually I fell in love with him too! I think lots of people assume foster carers are robots who forget the child they've lost once the next one comes along but it doesn't happen like that.

I sympathise with you about her new parents too - the new parents of a child I moved a while ago made all sorts of promises to keep in touch but I haven't heard from them since he went a year ago. I think at least if you know now then you can at least not build your hopes up to meet soon, only to have them dashed later on. I don't mean that to sound harsh. Sadly it seems lots of adoptive parents say whatever it takes to get them through approval/matching only to ignore it all the minute the celebration hearing takes place. I've even read comments on the adoption uk website advising prospective adopters to "play along until they're yours".

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice for you, just empathy. I talk about the children I miss most a lot when they go, I watch their DVDs and I make their photo albums. Probably all the things I'd be advised not to do by the professionals but it does help me a bit. I also try and visit the children I am still in contact with because that reminds me of what a good start they've had. Your LO had that good start too, thanks to you.

fostermumtomany Wed 28-Nov-12 03:03:43

hi everyone.
than you for your lovely messages of support.
she has been gone a month now and its harder every single day. i thought i would be feeling a bit better by now but im sat here sobbing. i have good days and bad days and today is an awful day. to be honest this is the first day when i have really let it out. i have been bottling it up for the sake of my own children as they are missing her so much as is my husband.
the day after she left, we got a call to take a tiny one straight from hospital. while he has helped a little to fill the hole, he just isnt her. i miss her mess and her noise, i miss her drawing on things she shouldnt be drawing on and sticky finger marks all over my patio doors. i miss her shouting upstairs for me to hurry and come back down, i even miss her following me to the loo!

the adopters have phoned twice, both times to ask for phone numbers for various appointments and what not. both times i had to plead for info on how she was. then they said they didnt want any further contact at all, not even a stat visit for her sake. ss over ruled that and said it will be happening but not until the new year. i spoke to her sw and she said she had had a hard time settling in and they thought it would be better for her to not see us for 3 months, so she can properly settle, which is fine. i want her to be happy and settled. i spoke to her birth family last week, they are appealing the adoption, they have a very good case to as lots of things were not done properly. i know this sounds really selfish of me because it isnt fair on her to keep being moved but i hope they win, at least then i will be able to see her again.
the adopters have said they wont be sending photos or letters. they even told ss they didnt want us writing a letter for her life story. she needs things like that in her life story or she will have a chunk of her life (2 and a half years) missing! they dont seem to care though about what is best for her, they just want everything on their terms. i know she is their daughter now but as a mum i would want whatever was best for my child, surely they want the same? surely ss would have told them all this during the adoption process?

sorry for going on, i just feel i have nobody to talk to as its three in the morning and i cant sleep for thinking of her and how she is.
god i miss her so much, its like she has died. is it normal to feel like this? i have missed little ones before but this is a whole new level of pain sad

bonnieslilsister Tue 06-Nov-12 21:31:34

Me too. I have been thinking of her and hoping she is ok.

scarlet5tyger Tue 06-Nov-12 19:07:38

Not heard anything but was thinking about her today when I logged on here. Hope everything is okay too.

Oldandindie Tue 06-Nov-12 11:58:32

Has any one heard from Fostermumtomany , hoping she's coping sad

Surrealistrhinoceros Sun 28-Oct-12 23:10:13

I'm sorry this has been so hard. Don't want to give too many details but we were recently the adopters in a very simila r situation. There were some heartbreaking moments and LO grieved obviously for her foster family. However they have been able to adapt and are now very happy and settled. To my eyes the experience they had in foster care of being loved and cherished has led them to expect the same from us - which actually made it easier for them to settle well, if not necessarily quickly. If that makes sense? Our older child ostensibly settled more quickly but has a tougher time several years on.

We had a visit quite early and I think that was helpful - many authorities advise a brief visit at 6 weeks ish I think?

All the very best.

LadyWidmerpool Fri 26-Oct-12 10:52:30

Thinking of you today. Take care of yourself. Children are amazingly resilient - more so than we are, sometimes! Best of luck.

Oldandindie Fri 26-Oct-12 07:49:51

Am sure you didn't sleep well last night .... I just want you to know that my thoughts are with you and your LO today xxxx

LadyWidmerpool Thu 25-Oct-12 17:31:30

Thinking of you. You should be so proud of yourself. It sounds like you have taught this poor little girl what love is - what a truly amazing gift. She will cope, it won't be easy but she will come through it. We are all so lucky that there are people like you. Wishing you strength.

Fosterangel Thu 25-Oct-12 17:07:31

Fostermumtomany - sending you love and hugs and all my thoughts are with you .

Your life and hers will be all the richer for this deep love that connected you. xxx

bonnieslilsister Thu 25-Oct-12 12:46:15

Thinking of you and hoping too you have rl support. I will pm you my number if you want to chat thanks xx

Fairylea Thu 25-Oct-12 11:39:46

My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you.

Just a random idea but could you print this off to give to her adopters to keep till she is older? So she knows you loved her so much and wanted the best for her ? It might be comforting in years to come... or an edited version.

You are doing the best you can in the most horrible of situations. Without people like you the world would be a much bleaker place for children in care. It's because you care so much that makes you a good carer. X

BusterTheDonk Thu 25-Oct-12 11:26:30

sending you the biggest virtual hug possible fostermumtomany...

I can't give you any advice... except to say that I totally understand - totally - and wish I could help - say the right thing, but I know in your hours of need it isn't words you need... just let it out...

Sending you the biggest hug and shoulder to cry on....

Take good care of yourself... try and be proud of yourself.. you should be!!
x x x x x x x

scarlet5tyger Thu 25-Oct-12 11:15:20

I'm so sorry this move is so difficult for you, and it's difficult to express support purely through the Internet. Like the two posters above I hope you can call on real life support to get you through it.

I always take comfort at this awful, awful time from a post someone made on here when I was struggling with moving a child on - every child that goes takes a little piece of your heart with them so that the next child you take in can fill it again.

Also, the fact that it hurts so much right now shows how much you loved this little girl and how lucky she was to have you. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now