Have my LA actually lost the plot?

(12 Posts)

As the parent of a long term cared for child i agree with notmylastrolo's post at 14:16:43

All children need memories and you as people have taken on other people's children and given them a happy life and a chance. you haven't been selfish and said 'oh well my parenting time is over time for some freedom' you job is thankless enough.

I would like to thank you personally .. not all FC's my DD had were that good, but thats something else.. thank you all thanks you do a wonderful job i can not understand WHY you get treated like this!

Panadbois Mon 08-Oct-12 16:24:52

Same here, LA won't let you keep any records or personal logs of any placement, but the training agency who's taught us about reducing the risk of allegation tells us its a good idea in case of allegations years down the road! The have advised us though to keep a personal diary with initialls instead of full names.

Same training copmpany have told us we should be deletaing any photos we might have of old placements off our computers as they are not ours to keep :-(

Fishwife1949 Thu 04-Oct-12 16:38:48

Also they are good if a childs sw trys to get ou of somthing you can have a quick look back and say ah ha but if you dont have the notes to hand you pretty much have to accpect whats being said about you

Re photos just say no what the HELL are they gonna do you have looked after children from birth and maybe then for years shoud we not be able to have a dam photo

God they will want our blood next all we have is our memories because we sure dont have the pay

scarlet5tyger Thu 04-Oct-12 14:46:20

Thanks for the replies everyone, I slept dreadfully last night with this (amongst other foster worries) playing on my mind.

I've never received a copy of my supervising notes in the first place, and hadn't considered the log notes being useful if allegations are made. Must admit I'd love to be able to look back at some of the early ones now - I always read them through at the end of a placement as there's so much I've forgotten in them, and its lovely to see the improvements a child makes from their initial placement to their leaving.

NotmylastRolo Thu 04-Oct-12 14:32:46

I forgot to say that my LA has not mentioned return of photos/films/videos of foster kids at all.............Yet.

We return the logs, placement plans, review reports (PEP, LAC), school reports and medical reports. I would always photocopy the log before handing it in. The log is written daily and is factual and, I believe, allowable as evidence in court so I feel it is important as a document. Everything is locked away. If my SSW asks I will do as STFD does and smile then ignore.

NotmylastRolo Thu 04-Oct-12 14:16:43

I cannot believe what I read sometimes! These are your memories of your fosterchildren so how dare they wade in and ride roughshod over your memories. I am so annoyed on your behalf. Are they trying to wipe evidence of the foster children from your lives? How will the foster children feel when they visit you in years to come and you cannot share mementos/photos etc of them at important family events? So many foster children rip up their photos/memories out of sadness or anger at times of stress. I have never met a foster carer yet who did not treasure and keep safe such mementos. Some are always passed on to the SW or to the child or new carer but foster carers must be allowed to keep some if only out of respect for the hard work they do. How disrespectful and another nail in the coffin of decent, caring foster families. Grrrrrrr!

Fishwife1949 Thu 04-Oct-12 12:29:31

Yes my la tried this crap as well i also was told i was no longer allowed to have a copy of teh recordings my link workers makes about her visits with me

Let me tell you i photo copy them when she sends me them to find i will NOT i repeat NOT delete MY recording either when a child leaves because allergations can happen after a child has left and i dont want to be having to make a appoitment with the la to see my gile and next thing you know the vital part has gine walkies

As for photos i keep a large frame in my hallway with a picture of every child i have ever carered for they will have to rip it down themselves

And they wonder why they cant keep hold of carers i my self am not carrying on after this placement ends

ShutTheFrontDoor Wed 03-Oct-12 22:17:16

Something similar happened in our LA, but I would just ignore and keep them, how on earth will they know if you have them or not.
My link worker said I could keep a few but hand in the majority I just nodded and ignored her.

TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 03-Oct-12 20:22:47

Thought you'd say that sad

scarlet5tyger Wed 03-Oct-12 20:19:59

I think they're being kept on their files but I already give a cd full of all photos and videos to the SW to keep on file. It read like these were any printed pictures.

TheAngelshavetheOod Wed 03-Oct-12 19:59:48

Are they being 'given to the child(ren)? <hopeful that there's some logic to it>

scarlet5tyger Wed 03-Oct-12 19:50:47

Or am I in the wrong....?

Today all foster carers in my LA were sent an email about note keeping and what should/should not be kept once a child moves on. Some of the things listed were obvious, e.g. Log notes, supervision notes, incident report forms. Fair enough.

Also listed to be returned to LA care once child leaves were any photos/videos of child taken whilst they were placed with you. Really?? I have years worth of photos of all the children who've stayed with me, they are a huge part of my own "life story" and I'm willing to fight to be able to keep this very small part of them that I'm left with when they leave.

I've not had time to discuss it with my ssw yet and I'm hoping it was just a badly worded email, but before I wade in and start making a fuss thought I'd check whether any other FC have been told about this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now