Fostering - Self-Employed or Employee?

(8 Posts)
NotmylastRolo Tue 25-Sep-12 11:41:58

Do we get a pension under the new regs coming soon on pensions.....?

childatheart Fri 07-Sep-12 18:45:43

LA carers do not get "paid" they receive an "allowance" to cover extra expenditure incurred as a result of fostering, therefore although we have to register with the revenue as "self employed" it is a paperwork exercise only. How can you be truly "self employed" when you do not receive a salary--- What a nonsense !!

Fosterangel Thu 06-Sep-12 16:20:48

How can this be? No other "self-employed" are contractually tied to one employer in exchange for a pre-set remuneration (set by the LA). Foster carers do not invoice the LA or set their own rates of pay so the remuneration is a "salary" by any other name but we are not employees with all the protection that would offer. No wonder we have a crisis in recruitment as who in sane mind would work under these conditions?

gallivantsaregood Wed 05-Sep-12 16:44:30

Officially we are not 'self employed', we are 'self-employed for tax purposes'. Ie we get to complete our tax returns ext without the other benefits of self employment!

kiddiwinkles Wed 05-Sep-12 12:44:35

Thats so true!

Officially we are self employed

NinePeedles Wed 05-Sep-12 11:58:24

This is an interesting one!

I don't class myself as any of the above.

I think we are in class of our own!

BusterTheDonk Wed 05-Sep-12 11:51:00

self employed

Fosterangel Wed 05-Sep-12 08:40:41

Hi - The foster kids have gone back to school today and already I am bored and mooching around the internet! I have come across a website which defines the three types of employment that exist:

"WORKER"
"EMPLOYEE"
"SELF-EMPLOYED"
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/are-you-a-worker-employee-or-self-employed

I cannot see that foster caring fits neatly into any of these categories. Foster carers submit our own tax returns and pay our own NI (this makes us self-employed) but cannot submit our own invoices or work for any other agency so are contracted solely to the LA for payment set by them (this makes us not self-employed). Forgive me if this is an old fostering chestnut but I am fairly new to fostering and I have loads of questions to ask. My SSW says it is down to me to sort out my self-employed status, so thought I would throw this one out there for the Mumsnet experts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now