Chicksands

(19 Posts)
Drusilla Thu 24-Sep-09 10:42:51

Anyone at Chicksands? Nothing definite yet, but if we did go it would be with a 5 yr old. Have just looked at the Ofsted report for Campton Lower School which is not brilliant, but is 2 years old now. Also, whats are the quarters like? Thanks

jcscot Thu 24-Sep-09 12:14:50

Quarters? Ugh. Just Ugh. Cheap, but that's because they're ugh.

We lived there for just under a year and have several friends who've cycled through there since (we've managed to avoid another posting there so far). I can't speak to the schools, as I have no experience.

Drusilla Thu 24-Sep-09 12:41:03

Lol - I shouldn't even have bothered asking, just assumed they would be ugh

jcscot Thu 24-Sep-09 14:40:16

On a serious note - the camop is lovely, but isolated with quite a walk to get public transport. Shefford has a small supermarket and a library as well a few basic shops and pubs.

Hitchin is nice and is nearby but Bedford/Luton are awful for shopping.

The quarters are very cold as the heating system isn't great and is very expensive to run. Of course, it's been about two years since we've visited the camp and they could have put in decent central heating by now but I'm not sure.

When we were there, there was a good community spirit and I doubt that will have changed much.

detoxdiva Thu 24-Sep-09 14:51:11

No experience of the base but live in the area...Shefford lower school is deemed to be better and the middle school (Robert Bloomfield) has a very good reputation.

Shefford is a nice little town with all the necessary shops (and an excellent Indian!), and Hitchin is the nicest local town. Ampthill is also a nice market town. As has been said, Bedford & Luton are pretty grim (sorry!)

weepootle Wed 30-Sep-09 16:21:06

Drusilla, can you give me an email address and I'll email you - I'll tell you all you need to know smile.

Yorky Wed 30-Sep-09 16:37:23

Yuk
It smells
Spent first 3 weeks of married life there and nearly left him
Rotting onions [heave]
Can't actually tell you anything useful though- sorry

Fortunately that has been my only brief experience of the place and as you can tell I'm not in a hurry to go back!

weepootle Wed 30-Sep-09 18:30:37

I'm going to disagree here, the quarters are great even though they're cheap. Huuuuge living room, good size kitchen, 3 good size bedrooms - all with masses of built-in storage. Yes they're dated like most quarters but definitely not bad. The old heating system is gone and they now have gas.

Schools are fantastic, most go to Campton or Shefford but there's an 'Outstanding' school very nearby which has plenty of spaces for your 5 year old.

The onion factory does stink but you only notice it when you're driving onto camp as it's down from the front gates.

I'll be happy to show to around if you come. smile

jcscot Wed 30-Sep-09 19:47:14

"The old heating system is gone and they now have gas."

That would make a huge difference - when I lived there we had the old system so it was cold and very expensive to run.

I agree that they're good-sized rooms and they do have a lot of cupboard space. I thought the kitchen was quite small (compared to other quarters we've had) - long and narrow and no room for a table and chairs.

weepootle Wed 30-Sep-09 20:06:48

Definitely not big enough for any sort of table but plenty of cupboards and for a galley style kitchen it's pretty wide.

Jscot, I think it also depends whether you're used to Offrs or ORs quarters. I imagine for Offrs they're a bit of a let-down! From what I can gather Offrs/ORs have exactly the same houses but the Offrs gardens are about 3 times as big.

weepootle Wed 30-Sep-09 20:11:20

Drusilla, you can email me at weepootle@live.co.uk. I have a dd the same age as your lo and can give you more info on the schools.

Drusilla Thu 01-Oct-09 09:10:49

Wow, thanks everyone, have been away for a few days and only just noticed all this! have emailed you weepootle

weepootle Thu 01-Oct-09 14:10:53

Drusilla, got your email and have replied. smile

Oh, and the small supermarket is now a Morrions (still small though).

SandyChick Thu 08-Oct-09 21:01:24

Hello, i lived at chicksands for 3 years. I moved out of MQ a year ago to move back into our home. My DH was there until Aug this year.

The MQ are all in the middle of being done up. They are having a complete overhall, new roofs, windows, all have gas central heating, down stairs loo (in the 4 bedroom anyway), new kitchen & bathroom, the lot really. The kitchens i've seen finished are beech cabinets and dark worktops. Kitchens are galley style.

My ds was 1 when we moved so dont know about schools.

Shefford is a lovely little village with, docs, dentist, take aways and pubs, a new Morrisons which has just recently opened.

Biggleswade is a few mile away and has an Asda, banks, library etc.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Drusilla Thu 29-Oct-09 13:13:29

Thanks again for this everyone. I am quite liking the sound of small village and Morrisons Weepootle - what email address did I give you? You must think I'm really rude not to reply, but I had only just set up that hotmail address and have completely forgotten what it was blush

Drusilla Mon 22-Feb-10 16:52:51

Weepootle - are you still here? Or anyone else at Chicksands?!

Drusilla Sun 14-Mar-10 22:46:15

bump

MrsBirdy Sun 21-Oct-12 10:01:20

Hi,
I know this topic is from years ago but just wondered if anyone is still at Chicksands?
I'll be moving there in the new year and would be great some more info. It's the first time i'll have lived on MQ so feel a bit apprehensive.

firstpost Sat 27-Oct-12 22:58:41

I would reccomend you join the facebook group married quarters -r-us.You can get a really detailed view of the MQ and area before you move. It was a godsend for me before I moved to my current hellhole palace smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now