New to everything...

(3 Posts)
Browneyedgirl6 Mon 25-Jul-16 15:05:27

Hi all!
I'm brand new to this site but just want a few tips.
Myself and my OH are newly engaged. He's based at RAF Odiham and we have a little one on the way due in October. I live quite far from his base in Hull so we are thinking of going for married quarters when we tie the knot. I already have a little one from a previous relationship.
The thought of moving miles from home with two little ones to live at his Base is terrifying but the time away from each other is already proving so difficult I can't wait to have him nearby. It's just having everyone else I love miles away from me that's scary. Especially when he goes on assignments etc.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice? Is there anything that you wish you'd have been told when starting off?
Any advice would be appreciated. It's scary!

scaryteacher Fri 29-Jul-16 09:13:39

I spent most of my married life with my family at least 3.5 hours drive away, and then in different countries when dh was posted abroad, once we moved to join him. At one point, dh was abroad, and we stayed in the UK.

It's service life I'm afraid....the best advice I can give you is to suck it and see. I had an advantage in that I was a services child, so I knew, to an extent, what the deal was, as I had grown up with it.

MrsHandles Sun 18-Sep-16 20:40:06

Hi there!
I met my now DH when he was based at Odiham. And I'm from Hull! How strange! Whilst he was moving around, we had a house in Hull so I could be near family. He's now based at RNAS Yeovilton in Somerset and looks likely that he'll not be moved for quite some time, so I made the move.

We've been in quarters just over a year now and I love it. I quickly made friends (I had to be brave as I can be very shy) and got a job before I moved down.

Advice? Talk to your neighbours, they'll quickly become close friends; everyone looks out for each other. DH is currently deployed until Christmas and it hasn't been half as bad knowing that I have people around me who understand fully what it's like.

Also, just throw yourself into it! Odiham is not too bad and you're close enough to places to go out and about. Family can visit and you can visit them. Odiham's around 3ish hours away so it's perfectly doable.

Any questions, just ask. Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now