Joining the RAF

(5 Posts)
Hunter16 Thu 09-Jun-16 07:33:37

My son is nearly 18 and has decided to no longer complete his 4 A's (don't even start on that one!).
He has not decided he wants to be an engineer in the RAF, apprenteship.
Good idea?
We are off the the RAF careers advice office soon.....as a Mum with my treasured cargo I am very apprehensive 😔🤔🤓

Sgtmajormummy Thu 09-Jun-16 07:43:14

Don't bank on immediately getting in.
DNeph was in the RAF cadets (or whatever they're called) at secondary, star pupil, did all the extra activities, turned down an unconditional offer from the Army, basically gave them his life in the hope of becoming an RAF pilot.
And was not offered even the lowest position on leaving school.

He still volunteers on their gliding courses as a group leader, trying to keep his face visible but has lost hope of joining. This will be the third set of school leavers looking for a job with the RAF since he finished school.

He now drives a bus to earn some cash and is working as hard as he can to get his commercial pilot's licence.
Bit of a shattered dream scenario, actually.

My advice? Do the exams then think about joining the RAF. They will only think the better of him.

NamelessEnsign Thu 09-Jun-16 07:58:34

My DH is coming to the end of a 16 year contract in the RAF. It has been an incredibly hard slog. The forces aren't what they used to be and there is less support for personnel. Everyone works harder and my DH is frequently within sight of his maximum working hours, every week. It makes family life difficult (I appreciate this may not be your son's priority).

It depends on your son's other interests and prospects, the length of time he needs to commit, what his qualifications will be on leaving etc. Only he can decide really.

Can he find a way of talking to people who have done/are doing the apprenticeship? Has he done any other work for comparison?

meditrina Thu 09-Jun-16 08:05:37

First piece of advice is not to take your mother to the Careers Office.

Secondly, agree that this is highly competitive. Although the minimum requirements are GCSE level, most candidates will be offering at least A levels.

And he'll need a cast iron and positive reason for abandoning an A level course. Dropping out of things you have decided to do usually plays very badly.

Hunter16 Thu 09-Jun-16 08:40:55

Thank you
I cannot do anymore to get him back to school...
He has 6 GCSE's and a BTEC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now