Husband Deploying...I'm left with a newborn!HELP!Any advice!

(4 Posts)
Norf2016 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:28:16

Hi!
So I'm new to Mumsnet,and in desperate need of advice from other military spouses that may have/or are in my position soon!

So my husband deploys in a few weeks time & our little one will be around 12 weeks old by then.
I'm finding the whole newborn experience pretty tough going already,OH's job is pretty much 14hr days anyways,but is mostly home for help during the night & to give me the odd catch up sleep after work.

It's now getting to the inevitable countdown to deployment,and I'm just wondering how the heck I'm going to be able to look after a 12 week old on my own.

I live in married quarters,but away from my parents & family.But I am lucky enough to know most of my neighbours who I'm sure will be helpful,but not anyone I could call at 3am and cry for them to come help me if I needed it!

What have people done/are doing to get through this testing time??

anklebitersmum Mon 22-Feb-16 03:49:59

Get organised in advance-bulk buy the essential baby stuff, fill the cupboards and freezer and the pair of you get the house squared away within an inch of it's life before he goes.

At 12 weeks little one will kip, eat, kip so go with the flow. Night feeds tend to drop off a little at 12 weeks plus and remember you'll just be catering to yourself and the little one and there's lots less washing while he's not there wink

It's never easy but it is do-able. Don't forget to reach out to the community around you even if it's just for a brew or a cheeky vino. The beauty of being on patch is that most of us have either been there or are still there!

KateMossIsMyQueen Sun 13-Mar-16 09:15:29

Hey sorry I'm in late to this - I'll be in this position next year, I'm pregnant and DH will be leaving when baby is 6m old, so really interested to see how you get on, and hand hold when I can!

When's your DH off?

DartmoorDoughnut Sun 13-Mar-16 09:17:18

Amazon prime may be useful to get regular deliveries of nappies/wipes and you can watch their to/films that are on prime for free then which may be handy during the night! How's your welfare officer??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now