Wedding abroad…no kids allowed!

(10 Posts)
BeeJay24 Wed 08-Oct-14 14:53:15

Hi, how soon is too soon to leave my baby to go to a wedding abroad? Two of mine and my husbands closest friends are getting married abroad next April 2015 (my husband and the groom are soldiers and have been through a lot together and myself and the bride have supported each other through many years of service tours so it means a lot for us to be there). My little boy will be almost 11months old at the time of the wedding. The wedding is a no kiddies event and my husband and I are considering going to the wedding for 3-4nights, leaving our boy with grandparents. The reason I ask for your opions is that I'm not sure if it's the right thing to be doing. Any help / advice / opinions appreciated. Thank you smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 08-Oct-14 14:56:29

I would absoloutley do it. 3/4 nights away will be lovely for you both at that time, and as long as your DS already has by then a good relationship with his grandparents, he will have a brilliabt few days of being spoiled grin

If you want to keep things a bit more "normal" for him, would your parents maybe come and stay at your house so he has his usual bed and toys etc? Not saying this should happen, you just may feel more comfortable.

Id be counting down the days for a childfree weekend grin

financialwizard Fri 10-Oct-14 12:55:45

Do it. Baby will be fine with grandparents. Not like you're duct taping them to the ceiling.

financialwizard Fri 10-Oct-14 12:55:45

Do it. Baby will be fine with grandparents. Not like you're duct taping them to the ceiling.

LeftRightCentre Fri 10-Oct-14 13:02:57

It's not for me but if you want to, go for it.

SoonToBeSix Fri 10-Oct-14 13:04:36

I would go, grandparents are family and you won't be gone for long.

chicaguapa Fri 10-Oct-14 13:19:50

DD was 11 months old when DH & I got married and we didn't take her on our honeymoon. It was hard but DD was fine. Go for it and have a lovely time.

soulgirl49 Fri 10-Oct-14 13:38:46

i do get annoyed when people make weddings 'no kids events' and then proceed to have children whom they take to all the subsequent events!! I have even been to a no kids wedding where the bride and groom had a child whom they proceeded to parade around the reception for everyone to go 'ahhh' at!! I personally do not go to no kids weddings since having my own child, as i feel my child is a person in her own right and weddings are supposedly 'family' occassions. Also I resent being told my child is not welcome as really thats what people are doing. If they want to get blind drunk and copp off with one of the other guests then hey go ahead but please don't tell me my child is not welcome at your nuptuals but i, as an adult am. Sorry to rant, but as you can see its one of my 'grrrrr' subjects..... now back to the original question. If you really feel ok about leaving your baby for 4 days (he/she is with grandparents after all), then go, although you sound as if you are more 'duty bound' (they've been through a lot together). I just think its weird (and a tad selfish), to have a 'no kids' wedding and have it abroad!!!!

Penfold007 Fri 10-Oct-14 14:12:17

If you can afford the flights etc and DS's grandparents are happy to babysit ten go for it and enjoy a short break being BeeJay and SoliderJay rather than miniJay's mummy and daddy.

ilze123 Wed 27-Jan-16 13:49:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now