CEA abuse thoughts

(37 Posts)
PaddlingMadly Tue 16-Apr-13 09:49:30

Thoughts please? Living in SFA and several of us quietly seething due to a quarter nearby being used by family claiming CEA, but blatantly not living there. We don't know the details (nobody there to ask) so yes the busybodies could be wrong, but if suspicions are correct the worry is that every case like this give more ammunition for getting rid of CEA altogether, and some of us really need it. But if we do say something it'll disrupt innocent kids' education. Stay out of it?

1980chick Mon 06-May-13 08:59:23

If anyone genuinely does suspect CEA abuse, just report it. Peer regulation discourages the cheating thieves. If you are fully entitled, you have nothing to fear!

1980chick Mon 06-May-13 08:59:52

If anyone genuinely does suspect CEA abuse, just report it. Peer regulation discourages the cheating thieves. If you are fully entitled, you have nothing to fear!

SarahJessicaFarter Sun 12-May-13 21:20:58

Electric? when was the last time you lived on the patch HF? I pay about 150 a month to heat my draughty quarter.

I agree with LtEve, voicing your doubts with out back up of fact is dodgy ground. We have a bad enough reputation for bitching and gossiping as it is without jumping in with accusations and anecdotal (at best) evidence.
I work full time, my DH is away. Children are out all day at school and afterschool clubs, if anyone were to look at my house it would appear that no one lives here. Gossip is not a part of normal human life, it is damaging and generally intended to be hurtful.

hf128219 Mon 13-May-13 13:13:13

But you obviously create mess in the evenings and weekends I would assume SJF? And there are signs you are around. Car. Rubbish bin etc.

loopydoo Wed 15-May-13 22:42:26

If the wife is the major bread winner or if they have loads of savings/rental properties/family money etc they could quite easily afford to pay their own school fees.

SarahJessicaFarter Wed 15-May-13 23:39:26

HF very true, I create a lot of mess and noise in the evenings, shouting at kids, sorting recycling wink. And there are two cars outside, one unused (OOA). loopydoo, kind of see where you're coming from, but let's assume that partner who is the major bread winner is following the flag and may give up their well paid job to move. I still think that while they continue to move us around CEA is valid. And I do agree that those who abuse the system should be taken to task, but unfounded gossip is never helpful.

hf128219 Thu 16-May-13 06:45:15

Agreed. But there are still a lot of people who take the system for a ride. I work FT, we live in our own house, bla bla. When I talked to someone about the future they said oh, just rent your house out for 6 months and move into a MQ, then you can get CEA. If I wished dd to go to boarding school we would pay ourselves.

AuntieStella Thu 16-May-13 06:53:41

Has anyone seen the current "urban myth" thread?

I think examples of abuse of CEA - as they appear on line - fall into this category.

It's wrong, of course it's wrong. And it does happen. But people get caught and fined etc. And in RL, everyone knows that reports of are welcomed and quickly resolved.

What doesn't happen is a flagrant abuse on the patch going on unchecked for months.

It's been a month since the anonymous tip-off hotline number was posted. So there is no need for, is OP puts it, the "busybodies" to be "seething". Especially as all the info on what to do if you expect abuse is readily available.

And your previous pattern of living is taken into account. Anyone who thinks you can 'just SFA for 6 months and get the allowance' is either deluded or pig ignorant.

hf128219 Thu 16-May-13 07:03:02

I certainly know people who do it I am afraid. You move into MQ for 6 months, you fit the criteria etc etc. you keep paying for the MQ for that posting but move out. No one needs to know. Seriously believe me.

If I was a cheating kind of person we could do it.

AuntieStella Thu 16-May-13 07:09:42

Then you also need to ring the hotline.

That is against the rules and needs to be dealt with, especially given the number of claims turned down these days because the family pattern of mobility is no longer acceptable since the revisions to the scheme.

Every single one of the "several people I know" needs to be reported. Moving out of SFA should trigger review, as would a quarter standing empty.

The review of entitlement will be prompt and discreet. And you'll no longer be complicit in fraud (assuming it isn't just empty talk).

hf128219 Thu 16-May-13 07:12:15

I agree with that. But people keep the MQs furnished etc etc. Pop back, DH or dw or everyone stays there sometimes.

SoggySummer Sat 18-May-13 01:11:47

You should still report it if as you say you KNOW people are doing this and it seems you know HOW they are tricking the system.

People defrauding the system should be dealt with promptly.

Around here the MOD police know if you have not been home. Our local MOD policeman asked us if all was OK as he had noticed our house "empty" and we had not reported it would be (thanks to DD having an unexpected and long stay in hospital). DH being the other side of the world and DD1 being at BS. Welfare were chasing me as were the police. After reading this I am wondering if maybe someone reported us????

The MOD police often enquire about other houses close by to me as well. Here we are expected to let them know if we are away. They seem to notice everything around here. It was the police that alerted one of my neighbours to the fact her garden table and chairs were not in her garden. She had not noticed.

I have no doubt that some people are conning the system and they should be reported as soon as you genuinely suspect this is the case.

However, there are genuine reasons why SFA may be empty despite claiming CEA - 1 case I know of off the top of my head is rehabilatation (with family temporarily accommodated at/near the rehab ctr whilst keeping their SFA). This happend last year/2 years ago to one of DDs boarding school friends. She didnt see her new house for about 8 months after moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now