Brize Norton AMQ advice please

(7 Posts)
Blurry29 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:02:36

Hello all,

My family and I are posted to RAF Brize Norton in late spring. We are very familiar with the surrounding areas and are very happy with the move but from what I understand is many houses have been demolished and a lot have been or are in the process of refurbishment. We are trying to get our application admin ready and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on streets to ask for and streets to avoid. Any advice would be great. Thanks smile

If you are on FB your best bet is to join the group married quarters r us.

Other than that I can't be much help. We are near Swindon and there are a few people who are based at Brize here.

Blurry29 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:08:55

Thanks so much. I'll check it out x

SoggySummer Fri 11-Jan-13 19:20:34

Not at Brize anymore but do know of lots of housing issues. There are some houses at Fairford that some turn down because they dont drive and want to be in Carterton. Shrivenham is another place a few people were housed.

I had RAF friends who lived off base in ex USAF houses in a village out by Blenheim Palace and Woodstock. Cant recall the name of it now. About 2 streets of 3 bed detatched houses were there. Always 1 or 2 empty when ever we popped over for a visit. They were quite big inside but usual in the 70's MQ stylee. Had their own garage and driveway as well. The village seemed really nice and had good schools (apparently) and some very nice pubs - which I know first hand grin. Apparently the rumour was no one as general were offered these houses only those that asked about them. Probably a load of codswallop but maybe worth asking about.

Will see if I can find the name of the village.

Blurry29 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:31:25

Brilliant thanks x

jcscot Sat 12-Jan-13 16:21:03

Shrivenham is lovely but MQs there are pretty full because of ICSC and ACSC courses. Also, there is a heavy bias towards Officer housing rather than OR housing. We have friends there and it was a close-run thing to get a quarter in time.

Blurry29 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:56:05

Bloody officers!!!! confusedconfused Joking

I'll bear that in mind. Many thanks. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now