Have any of you ever been posted and moved near to Christmas?

(7 Posts)
Saltire Thu 13-Dec-12 09:28:01

4 removals vans on our street in the 2 days, people coming and going. I actually hate moving at any time but the thought of doing it so close to Christmas gives me nightmares.
Our camp shuts tomorrow for Christmas grant so poor folk moving in won't see much of what little goes on here.
Just wondered if anyone had moved close to christmas and was it worse than usual?

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 13-Dec-12 14:36:52

We moved at the beginning of November, and that was hard enough. Especially since DHs posting was 20th Nov, to you know where, and he won't be back until end of Feb.

The worst thing for us was his pre-deployment leave was all taken up with march-out prep, and not sorting out the new house (still boxes everywhere and no shelves put up)

I feel lucky compared to one woman I met though. Her DH is in the Fauklands, and she was moved down here from Lossy as he was originally posted here, only to be told that his posting has changed, so she is moving close to Christmas, on her own, for the second time in less than 2 months.

goinggetstough Thu 13-Dec-12 21:34:41

Sadly we have moved a number of times just before Christmas. At the end of the day moving is moving whenever you do it. However, I think it is slightly tougher as the barracks shut down over the Christmas period so it is sometimes difficult to get information about various things.
We did though survive and that was because kind neighbours popped round and said hi and answered any questions we had. So if you see neighbours moving in on you street do pop round and say hello, don't leave it till after Christmas. It makes all the difference or at least it did for us!

XBenedict Fri 14-Dec-12 22:42:05

December 18th was the closest to Xmas for us and 2nd Jan the closest to New Year. You muddle on! smile

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Dec-12 23:36:39

Yes, for sure. The packers were due 27th, but we had already sent a shipment previously, so this was the final shipment and stuff for storage. They were a day and a half late, and we were supposed to be driving back to the UK via tunnel, staying at mil's for a day, then catching a flight to Canada. Dd1 was 11 mos.

It was just another move. The main pita was the dog, who couldn't enter the UK, as that would mean quarantine at the time, so had to be kennelled and then fly direct from Germany to Canada.

Dh and I slept in the car in a carpark somewhere in Belgium at about 3am, as we were so exhausted we couldn't go any further.

It was fine. Just another move. By that point you don't care. We did ask that everyone only bought Christmas presents that we could mail to ourselves though, so we opened everything, then boxed it up and took it to the post office, and mailed it to our new address. No way was I trying to save room in suitcases for a flight for presents...

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Dec-12 23:37:14

Oh, and we had to sell one of the cars, but decided to leave the other one at mil's. it was interesting.

BaresarkBunny Sat 22-Dec-12 01:26:37

Last year we moved from NI back to England. Our removals delivered on either the 22nd or 23rd Dec it was a complete nightmare and ideally wouldn't want to do it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now