Navy Christmas Ball dress code?

(9 Posts)
Gennacy Mon 03-Dec-12 18:47:48

Sorry for asking a basic question, i did a search, but only found a summer ball one sad
My DH is being useless with the dresscode sad I assume he needs to be in Mess dress? Am I to wear floor length with shoulders? as before i realised there was a code I bought a lovely floor length strappy dress sad
TIA :D

Glamadon Tue 04-Dec-12 16:59:34

From experience, the dress code is much more relaxed than it initially seems, it's just to stop some of the ladies with questionable dress sense arriving in dresses that dont leave much to the imagination. I cant imagine bare shoulders being a problem, and I always wear dresses just above the knee and have never had a problem at a mess do. I think its the age old rule of legs or chest really. If its floor length and strappy, that sounds very classy and glam. I always go for shoulders covered purely because i have the pins out. If in doubt though, take a bolero which u can always pick up cheap, but I really wouldnt worry.

Gennacy Wed 05-Dec-12 10:03:55

Thank you :D

WeatherWitch Wed 05-Dec-12 10:08:13

The normal rule is that shoulders should be covered, at least for the meal, but it doesn't mean a long sleeved dress - just a scarf or wrap is fine. Your DH does need to find out what he shuld be wearing though - there are variations in mess dress /undress and it'll cost him a bottle of port if he gets the wrong one!

Nessica Wed 05-Dec-12 20:05:42

Hi Gennacy,

I posted pretty much the same question as you last year, but mine was for an Army Christmas ball.

I would assume that you OH would be in his mess kit and for ladies it's pretty much always a long dress with a shrug/pashmina to cover your shoulders.

Not too sure if the Navy is the same as the Army but make sure you pop to the loo before dinner as it bad etiquette to go during the meal.

Have a fab time, I found it to be much less daunting than I thought utilities would be and everyone was lovely.... just remember not to peak to soon in the drinking stakes as they often keep going until breakfast! grin grin

SorrelForbes Wed 05-Dec-12 20:14:59

It depends which mess? If it's the Wardroom then he'll definitely need to wear mess dress and you'll need to wear a full length dress. I think the WO & Senior Rates's mess is often the same.

Gennacy Thu 06-Dec-12 17:07:15

We are Raf in a Navy place. :S So neither of us have a clue really!
I think its a senior rates mess :D I am really looking forward to going now, have found a pashmina for the dress, i assume its possible to take a coat? apparently there is a fun fair!
Thanks for all your help :D

SorrelForbes Thu 06-Dec-12 17:10:38

You're not my next door neighbour are you? grin

I'd get him to check with the Mess Pres. I went to a few balls in the Senior Rate's Mess with my ex and all the women wore full length.

Can you say which base it is?

MrsSnaplegs Fri 07-Dec-12 18:14:08

It sounds as if you'll be fine - long dress and something to cover your shoulders and yes you will be able to take a coat as there will be a cloakroom of some kind
Have fun grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now