Chickens in MQ?

(10 Posts)
Bettyintheburbs Wed 28-Nov-12 20:01:47

Please don't laugh, I don't know who else to ask. Are you allowed to keep chickens in MQ? I don't live in MQ but might be in the new year and have three chickens. DP says there are 'no livestock' rules but how can I check and who would I ask? If I sound green, it's cos I am.

Bettyintheburbs Wed 28-Nov-12 20:02:34

In the garden grin not free ranging round the MQ itself.

Yes but you need to get permission from the HASC or whatever thing they call themselves at the moment!

Know several people who have them. They all recommend the igloo thing as removals will move it.

We are looking into it but not for at least a year.

TheWombat Wed 28-Nov-12 20:04:45

I have friends who live on a patch and have 3 chickens. smile. I have never questioned whether they were legally there, though, IYSWIM. M

TheWombat Wed 28-Nov-12 20:05:27

Oops, meant to add: wonder if there are different rules for different patches?

Chickens aren't livestock, they're poultry - it's a really important distinction as there's all sorts of covenants about livestock in house deeds, allotments, estates which leads most people to think they can't have chickens when they can.

madwomanintheattic Wed 28-Nov-12 20:11:40

Yes, I know loads of folk who do.

Bettyintheburbs Wed 28-Nov-12 21:08:13

Thanks so much for all the advice, especially on transport and what constitutes 'livestock' . Am googling igloos and will check with the HASC

driventodrink Thu 29-Nov-12 21:26:06

my friends have them in their MQ. The igloos are great, try getting second hand from ebay, as you aren't allowed to sell animals you may find somebody selling igloo, straw, food etc etc and wonder what are they doing with their chickens, if you message them you quite often find they want rid of chickens too so will throw them in for free.

Bettyintheburbs Fri 30-Nov-12 18:02:50

Wow, wonderful ebay tip, many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now