How do you claim vat back from amazon?

(9 Posts)
Adviceinscotland Sun 30-Sep-12 14:38:52

I've heard it's easy but it looks a total faff to me!

Where do you get the certificate stamped to send to them?

goinggetstough Sun 30-Sep-12 16:14:00

The relevant amazon info is at www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200792760#refunds but I think you have probably seen this already.
We have a letter written so when an amazon order arrives we take the delivery receipt and the letter to the admin office and the OC/CO stamps and dates both the letter and the delivery receipt. We then scan them both and email them to amazon. They usually refund within a day. You have 3 months to reclaim VAT.

The letter is on unit headed paper and says this is to confirm that.....insert name has received the following orders from amazon and then there is a space for order numbers. It is then signed by the CO/OC or equivalent.
Hope this is helpful.

Saltire Sun 30-Sep-12 16:17:37

DH is at a BFPO address where the items were sent and he just emailed to say he'd received the goods and got the refund back onto his card

SoggySummer Sun 30-Sep-12 19:37:59

We just did this yesterday. There is a link on the website but I just emailed them and said as it was posted to a BFPO address could I please claim the VAT back. This morning I logged into my email and there was an email from Amazon to say it will be added to our card.

goinggetstough Sun 30-Sep-12 19:57:59

We could do that too in our last posting but it does depend where the BFPO address is actually located. Another problem can be if it is a BFPO address co-located with the FCO I believe a letter is also required then.

Adviceinscotland Sun 30-Sep-12 22:33:08

Without any kind of paperwork or proof soggy?

Dh is in the sandpit so don't want him having to faff about with emails and getting things stamped

Saltire Sun 30-Sep-12 22:38:12

DH just got an email to say his vat had been paid back, he never had to hand over any paperwork, I think it was based on the BFPO address

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 30-Sep-12 22:41:33

we live in Jersey which is outside the UK and just email to tell them and they refund. In fact I think they do it automatically now for the CI

SoggySummer Sun 30-Sep-12 23:29:44

No paperwork. DH is probably same place as yours. I think the proof is the item has actually been despatched to the BFPO address and not here. We did have to wait for the item to be desptached before sending the email.

I didnt read all the bumf on the amazon website and just sent the email to the link literally saying ..... Please can you arrange for the VAT to be refunded now order number blah de blah has been despatched to BFPO XXX. DH did actually order it out there mind. I just keep logging into our amazon account to keep tabs on it iykwim.

I assumed if they needed anything they would ask me for it. Woke up this morning and the eail tells me my card will have already been recredited. Not actually checked it has yet - will do in the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now