Advice on finding someone in the marines please

(14 Posts)
LadyFlumpalot Fri 14-Sep-12 16:24:17

Sorry, had no idea that what I suggested could be bad, I was daft, can see it now.

I'm not associated with the military at all, except for my cousin who's just started at Lympstone.

My bad, will not be so naive on future blush

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Sep-12 16:14:57

It was fairly surreal. I've been banned from picking up hitchers. I thought dh was going to have a coronary. grin

I haven't read the other thread, so no idea what the circs are, but the chances of him wondering about you are fairly minimal, he probably picked up someone else in fairly short order.

<otherwise they'll get Hugh grant to star as love struck marine. Although he's getting on a bit now.>

DuWop Fri 14-Sep-12 14:40:53

wow, thats like something out of a film, catch me if you can , type of thing.

I'm just a silly woman who is changing her mind.

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Sep-12 14:26:59

Ha. Hadn't realized it was the op.

Op, security threats again the military are fairly standard. Not saying you are anything more than some women he chatted up in a bar somewhere (or got pregnant on a one night stand, to be fair it happens all the time and we've had loads of threads on here) but there's no particular guarantee that you aren't just another anonymous nutter with a grudge or deep political leaning. grin

Fwiw, I picked up a hitch hiker who was claiming to be a marine trying to get back down south from Liverpool. I spent several hours in the car with him, and he seemed entirely legit, he even told me about his 'cousin' who was serving as well, and in the same regt as dh. Turned out that dh was his cousin's best man. (he asked me if we knew x, and showed me his business card, and introduced him as his cousin. Small world. I couldn't get over the coincidence. It was, like, 3am.)

Anyway, I dropped him off at Reading Services about 6am with £20 for breakfast, and told him to get it back to his cousin, who would give it us back when he saw us. (I may be daft, but I wasn't telling him my full name, or where I lived)

A couple of months later, dh's mate and family came round for Sunday lunch, and I asked him if his cousin had given him the £20 for me.

He hasn't got a cousin.

The guy (who probably wasn't even a marine at all) had been picked up as a hitcher by dh's mate, as well. who had also given him money and a ride, and his business card so that he could send the cash back. This bloke was clever enough to probably have a raft of cards in his back pocket and to know them thoroughly enough to be able to use them as plausible evidence with anyone that picked him up. Clever chap.

People aren't always what they seem. You, an innocent mner, him, a 'marine'.

Sure, go ahead and try to track him down. <shrugs>

It could end well.

I have to say I've been a lot more suspicious, even of folk who seem to be bona fide military, ever since. Most of the people I meet in a bar who tell people they are military are nothing of the sort, of course (unless they are particularly stupid). The real ones will usually spin you a line involving insurance or deck chair sales, unless they fancy a shag.

madwomanintheattic Fri 14-Sep-12 14:12:39

Ask your cousin if he wants you divulging information to a random tinternet punter asking questions about the military.

He'll explain what persec means...

DuWop Fri 14-Sep-12 14:00:15

oo thank you ladyflump.

what does persec mean?

meditrina Thu 13-Sep-12 20:41:44

PERSEC - unless you know DuWop in RL, of course.

LadyFlumpalot Thu 13-Sep-12 19:00:42

Duwop! PM me details, my cousin is in Lympstone at the moment, I'll text him and ask if he knows anyone who matches the description.

DuWop Thu 13-Sep-12 18:58:55

yes, i started that when i didnt have any luck here. Ive thought and thought about the advice i was given on the other thread. ON the one hand, i might find him, on the other hand, i will make a fool of myself, but, will it matter? because it will be with people I dont actually know.
fortunately ive been so busy this week, that i havent had a chance during working hours to do anything at all about it.

Newtothisstuff Thu 13-Sep-12 07:29:57

Oh so you only know his first name ?? Your screwed then.. Especially if it's a common name !! I doubt if you call they would be much help.. Don't you have any mutual friends ??

EdithWeston Thu 13-Sep-12 07:06:28

There's been a thread in 'chat' about this too. The published phone number for Lympstone is available on google, but there isn't much that can be done other than ring up and ask. Lympstone is a major training base with a large, transient population, so chances of finding him remain low. And chances of making an utter fool of yourself are pretty high.

DuWop Thu 13-Sep-12 06:18:12

no, but you need a surname for that.

Newtothisstuff Tue 11-Sep-12 23:06:00

Not on fb then ?

DuWop Sat 08-Sep-12 17:03:00

I'm hoping someone on here can help me out please. I've done a google search, but cant really work out from the results who to contact.

I'm trying to find someone who is in lympstone. I know his name, how old he is, and that he's welsh. I've rather stupidly deleted his number. Does anyone have any idea how to get in touch with him?

I've namechanged for this, as rather embarrassed about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now