Just an idea

(18 Posts)
meditrina Thu 19-Jul-12 08:07:28

And no matter how much someone begs, do not send photos! Or at least not unclad ones.

financialwizard Thu 19-Jul-12 07:39:22

Pickles77

deinately have a look in Soldier Magazine. You might need to subscribe as it appears to be no longer available to browse online.

Pickles77 Mon 16-Jul-12 20:32:50

Oh I see smile

jcscot Mon 16-Jul-12 20:25:54

OPSEC/PERSEC are military terms for Operational and Personal Security and the guidelines advise personnel and their families to be careful about what information they put in the public domain and make available to strangers.

I'm simply pointing out that you could be anyone OP and no one should be handing over addresses or numbers to you as we have no idea what you intend. That's why I suggested that you stick to more regulated ways of getting in touch with forces personnel.

Pickles77 Mon 16-Jul-12 20:13:13

What's persec and the other one? smile

jcscot Mon 16-Jul-12 20:03:45

Newtothisstuff - please don't pass on details especially to any old random punter from the internet!

Doesn't anyone consider PERSEC/OPSEC?

OP - if you're looking for a penpal, then going through a magazine or website that matches personnel with civvies who want to write is really the best way.

Ha - it is a good song!
Yes I was only little in the 80's but my buddy remembers going to Southsea and getting off with a sailor or two...
Course once I was old enough they had downsized considerably. So I moved onto an airman grin

Youcanringmybell - yes. I don't do much frequenting of hostelries these days, but recall how the pubs and clubs were wall-to-wall RN back in the 80s grin

Now that the navy has downsized so much, you'd be pushed to fill a minibus sad

I like your name - I have the Anita Ward song stuck in my head now.

Talc - how true. I am from Portsmouth grin

You know it so well....are you from around there?

Pickles77 Sun 15-Jul-12 14:34:04

Talc that gave me a good chuckle smile

If you're after a matelot, Pickles, try loitering around an establishment that retails alcohol of an evenng in Plymouth or Portsmouth.

If you have a reasonable compliment of limbs and/or teeth and are under 75, you should be fine; the average young tar is most inclusive, especially when wearing his beer goggles. wink

Only kidding. Private Eye used to have a Soldier On section (which had friend requests from all sevices) in their small ads at the back; don't know if it's still there?

Newtothisstuff Sun 15-Jul-12 14:22:37

Pm me I've got loads of mates in afghan, I'd be happy to sort you out with some addresses grin

Pickles77 Sun 15-Jul-12 14:13:38

And how do you get into that?

Saltire Sun 15-Jul-12 13:56:12

Well airmen and sailors can get lonely too!

Saltire Sun 15-Jul-12 13:55:32

Well from personal experience wink, I'd write to an airman isntead of a soldier! grin

Pickles77 Sun 15-Jul-12 13:55:21

Oh no i dont mind, it was just the first thing that came to mind as i hear soldiers get lonely when deployed. Thats all

Grumpystiltskin Sun 15-Jul-12 13:50:48

You could look in the back of soldier magazine. Is there any particular reason you want a soldier? (Other armed services are available)

Pickles77 Sun 15-Jul-12 13:42:14

Hi, does anyone know how i can get involved with writing to a soldier? Imjust looking to make friends and have some company tbh. I dont want to go through the forcespenpals website as it seems to be completely internet based?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now