Posted to RAF Leuchars...

(28 Posts)
pinkem Tue 08-May-12 19:00:58

We are posted to RAF Leuchars in August can anyone give me some information?
I have a 5 year old so need to know about schools, and will be expecting baby in October so which hospital should I head to?
Also which quarters should we try and avoid (officer) plus anything else you think I need to know!
Thank you in advance grin

Saltire Tue 08-May-12 19:02:22

V jealous. I loved it there. The local primary school is good.

ginmakesitallok Tue 08-May-12 19:02:48

Don't know anything about the RAF base - but there's not much in Leuchars! Saving grace is that you're not far from St Andrews and Dundee. Hospital wise I would advise Ninewells MLU - it's fab!

pinkem Tue 08-May-12 19:22:13

Great, Thank you. I like positive things! I will look up hospital and school now.grin

prettybird Tue 08-May-12 19:22:49

When is your 5 year old's birthday? Scottish cut-off dates are different. If he/she was 5 since March then will start P1 (=c. Reception) in mid August.

pinkem Tue 08-May-12 19:50:06

Prettybird: He was 5 in January so started reception here Sept 2011, will he go back into reception? confused

prettybird Tue 08-May-12 20:42:40

Not sure what the case is if he's already in school, but if you'd been in Scotland, you'd have had the choice of starting him in P1 last August or deferring him and starting him in P1 this August (in Scotland we do real deferrals! grin).

So it would be up to you. Suspect that as he's already had a year of school, he'd probably be best going in to P2.

On the other hand, if he's been struggling, you might want to take advantage of the flexibility and keep him in P1 - but it could cause problems if you later move back to England (as I think happened to Saltire's when her family was posted down south sad)

pinkem Tue 08-May-12 20:59:32

Thank you. We would be heading back into the English system so having him go into p2 would be the best option for us. I think I will be making some phone calls tomorrowgrin

prettybird Tue 08-May-12 22:10:08

Probably best. Just be aware that from being in the "older" half of the year group, he'll become one of the youngest.

pinkem Wed 09-May-12 13:53:11

The local school will let him join P2 smile I'm hoping he won't mind being one of the youngest, most of his friends out of school are older so he should be fine!

Scorchio Wed 16-May-12 20:06:24

Oh you lucky, lucky thing! We just moved from Leuchars in September, and it is a terrific posting. Halfway between Dundee (for high street shops) and St. Andrews (for small independent shops) and with a station on the main East Coast railway line (so Edinburgh and Aberdeen easily reachable).

My elder DS went to Leuchars Primary and his teacher, the deputy head and the after-school club were great, but to be honest the rest of the school was a bit meh! Most of the kids on the officers' patch went to Guardbridge Primary this past year and I've heard lots of good things about it.

The patch has older style houses and 'newer' (Wimpy-ish) houses. We were in a newer one on the outside edge of Beaufort Crescent - the view over the fields to Tentsmuir forest were lovely and a real highlight of our time there. The houses were absolutely fine and most had new bathrooms in the last couple of years.

I had my younger DS at Ninewells Hospital and would really recommend it - he had a difficult start in life and the staff in SCBU were wonderful.

Have a wonderful posting. I would go back in a heartbeat smile

pinkem Sat 19-May-12 10:06:48

Thanks scorchio, I'm glad there are lots of positives. I am still looking into schools, I like the idea of walking to school but 'good' teaching is much more important, I will keep investigating! grin

IHateLivingHere Tue 12-Jun-12 09:50:26

Pinkem not sure whether you have been allocated now - have just found this thread. But, if not, I would ask for one of the Hunter Crescent houses and avoid the Beaufort Crescent ones, which are fugly, grey, pebble dash boxes! You can see the estate on Street View.

Also, was there 5 years and my name on here was about the way I felt...

Good luck, hope you or your husband are Scottish grin

pinkem Wed 13-Jun-12 21:57:28

IHateLivingHere - We haven't had our allocation yet so thanks for the info. We are from Yorkshire so hopefully they will except us grin

pinkem Wed 13-Jun-12 22:00:46

*acceptblush

CountDuckula Sun 01-Jul-12 13:07:27

pinkem, I'm in leuchars at the moment. There is a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/groups/136047066440138/ if you want any advise.

It's hit and miss here, some people love it, some people hate it. I've been here several years and most of my friends are now not RAF, just because the RAF ones have moved away.

The area is lovely, the facilities are good, yes the village is quiet but you are a quick bus/car/train journey from other stuff. There are a lot of new families moving in at the moment so you should be just fine.

pinkem Tue 03-Jul-12 18:28:22

Thanks CountDuckula I have joined the facebook group. We are meant to be moving at the beginning of august but there are currently no houses, I'm hoping someone will be moving soon so we can have their house!! smile

Saltire Tue 03-Jul-12 21:56:04

Good luck, hope you or your husband are Scottish

What do you mean by that Ihatelivinghere? I didn't think you had to be a Scot to live on a Scottish airbase (or army/navy base for that matter)

BigusBumus Sat 06-Oct-12 13:45:48

Saltire, did you move there yet? My dad was a phantom pilot in the 1970s and we lived at 42 Beaufort Cresent from 1976 to 78. I was 5-7 yrs old and I loved it there, going to the beach and playing on the dunes. Mind you the summer of 76 was the hotest ever which helped. My mum loved it too and we have nothing by happy memories of the place. I went to the school round the corner and was taught to read aged 5 by a very fierce lady who seemed to live in a cupboard under the stairs and was called Mrs Mole. Happy times.

Forgive me for crashing your thread and reminising....

pinkem Wed 10-Oct-12 22:25:04

BigusBumus - Yes we have arrived, we live just round the corner from your old house.

The area is gorgeous and we have a long list of places to visit. At the weekend we went to tentsmuir so my ds was playing in the dunes and then onto the beach (and into the sea fully dressed little monkey!)

I bet the quarters haven't changed since you lived here grin

Berniebennett Thu 11-Oct-12 05:58:47

My husband was posted there before we were married, so I never got the oppertunity to live there, but I always said I wished he had that posting, once we had settled and had kids because I absolutely loved it!x

Adviceinscotland Thu 11-Oct-12 20:17:21

You MUST head down the coast to Anstruther and get fish and chips from the famous chippy!

Hope you enjoy it there, I would love to go back.

pinkem Thu 11-Oct-12 21:27:06

Adviceinscotland - I will add it to our list, it will probably go near the top though as I really want fish and chips now!! grin

polkadotsrock Mon 15-Apr-13 15:55:09

Just hoping some of you ladies are still around... We are moving to Leuchars next month and will be having our second wee one in October, I have heard mutterings of a good MLU on the Leuchars side of the water- is this true or is it in Dundee? X

SoggySummer Mon 15-Apr-13 16:03:18

No local info I'm afraid but we just turned down a posting to Leuchars (despite wanting to be back in Scotland) because most squadrons are moving out (mostly to Lossie) at the end of this year and most of the base being handed over to the army. We wanted to avoid 2 moves in 12 months because we have school age children.

Just thought I wouldnt mention it incase you were not aware - you may not be affected if you are army or one of the lucky few RAF to remain.

I envious and it took a lot for us to say no this time because its number 2 on our list of pref postings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now