Boarding school luggage

(17 Posts)
SoggySummer Sat 25-Aug-12 17:35:46

My girls have 2 huge wheeled suitcases. They are not the hard ones but dont fold down at all. I chose ones with the extra zip expansion.

Eldest Dd had a suitcase that has been ours for years and years. When DD2 started I was out of work and money was tight so she ended up with a cheapy one from Poundstretcher (made by Chicane - can tell you that because I am sat here looking at it as I have just got it out ready to pack next week). Cheap that it was, its lasting well. Still looks as good as new and the zips are fine despite being under enormous stress when rammed full packed by DD at the end of the school year to come home.

Whatever you choose you need to make sure you can fit it in your car with everything/everyone else. We watched a neighbour a few years ago battle with 2 trunks and 2 tuck boxes various hockey sticks/tennis raquets etc for several hours, to try and fit it in the boot of his car. He ended up borrowing our camping trailer.

Gottal Fri 24-Aug-12 13:30:36

@berrybed: my DS going to boarding in September. Would be grateful to know where to get the suitcase you mention. Thx

goinggetstough Sat 17-Sep-11 19:13:07

I also started to label things twice, I put the second label in an unusual place eg inside a cuff. Great to see you have Matron on side.
Good luck!

whenIgetto3 Sat 17-Sep-11 18:15:06

going we have now employed a reward system for anything lost and a reward system for not loosing anything else. I did find it hard to discipline him over his phone that went missing as the housemistress thinks (has not proof) another boy stole it and pealed his name label off and his scout trousers were taken by another boy who took them home and his mum relabeled them his shock I cannot punish him for items other boys have stolen borrowed. This term I labelled everything twice grin

New matron this term is apparently sorting these issues out

goinggetstough Sat 17-Sep-11 17:26:37

when I am not sure how old your Dc are but do you have any sanctions if they lose stuff. I find it worked with mine if they lost stuff, but to honest they didn't lose much. Mind you I found it was bringing rubbish home at the end of term that really got me. So I told them I would fine them for each bit, it did concentrate their minds!
I do think though that schools too have to accept some responsibility especially if you have named it all. One school my DC were at had a forfeit/ mini punishment if their kit was found where it shouldn't be. It might sound strict but firstly kit costs money and secondly DC need to be encouraged to respect their own possessions and those of other people.

whenIgetto3 Sat 17-Sep-11 16:19:18

well 2 weeks into term and we have already lost 1 pair scout trousers, 1 school jumper and a baseball cap but however my threat of a 99p tesco gumshield has worked and so far (reaches to touch wood) we haven't lost the opro one smile

Thats just 1 child the other 2 haven't spoken to me so I don't know what they have lost yet.

We have however apparently found last years lost cricket pad and art smock. smile

wouldlikeagirl Sat 17-Sep-11 09:38:44

Thanks for all your posts - agh it is just never easy is it! I have been looking online at the wheeled duffle bags.

WhenIgetto3 - Sadly I have very low expectations of my sons being able to pack and not lose stuff. I have tried, honestly, but even the ironed and folded items left for them to put away themselves (I am trying to teach them some independence and not to be blamed for their scuffiness by future wives!) are rolled into balls and nowhere near where they should be! But I will show them how to pack and make a list of stuff that goes in - great idea as I may not remember everything.

whenIgetto3 Wed 14-Sep-11 10:05:56

Darn knew there was something I forgot blush they are probably lost already in the black hole that appears in the boarding house just to eat my sons stuff

oh well I did keep copies so I can post it to them the weekend before they start packing grin

mpsw Tue 13-Sep-11 22:13:19

I hope you superglued all those pictures/lists/instructions to the inside of the lid!

whenIgetto3 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:34:50

MPSW that relies on that member being here grin and after umpteen moves packing a house of 6 into a 63 cubic truck I am probably just as good [blows own trumpet emoticon] wink

I sent mine this time with :
a laminated packing list (attempt not to loose stuff)
a laminated picture of the packed trunk
a laminated instruction paper on how to pack it (along the lines of lego instructions as I know they can follow those) grin

I wait for half term and see how well it has been taken in.

mpsw Tue 13-Sep-11 17:16:25

You need to get whichever parent is in the Forces to do the teaching when it comes to packing. After many years of cramming more than you could think physically possible into a Bergen, s/he will be the expert at turning anything into a TARDIS.

goinggetstough Tue 13-Sep-11 16:50:56

I would agree a soft bag or a very inexpensive large case. If possible I would get one with wheels, it is amazing how far dorms can be from car parks or store rooms if you are an overseas boarder.

whenIgetto3 Tue 13-Sep-11 11:37:59

I would say a suitcase rather than soft bag. Our school allows trunks so my 3 now have them but to begin with we did soft sided bags and when it came to the end of term we got the bag, plus bin liners, plus boxes etc etc as they are all 3 useless at packing the bag correctly. With trunks they are much better as the hard walls allow them to visualise the space, we did experiment with suitcases they were better at those but the trunks are the best. Shame you school won't allow them.

Another good tip is make sure you practice packing with your DC as no matter how much you show them they won't actually pack it correctly unless they have been told to do so in front of you with you saying no that does not go there, heavy things at the bottom.

Sorry, if you have a DD then I am sure it will be packed neatly, my DD is good (after a years practice) just wish my boys could pack grin

Berryred Tue 13-Sep-11 11:25:34

DS takes a large suitcase, one that also hooks all his shirts and trousers neatly for putting straight to hanging (saves alot of hassle once get there).

wouldlikeagirl Mon 12-Sep-11 21:36:37

Yes, the school sec said big suitcases or soft bag. I think I prefer the soft bag option that can be pulled upstairs.

LIZS Mon 12-Sep-11 21:17:13

Apparently big suitcases are de rigeur

wouldlikeagirl Mon 12-Sep-11 18:25:36

Can anyone advise me on the best type of luggage to use for boarding school and where to get it from. The school have told me they don't take trunks due to lack of storage space, I rather like the idea of the large soft bag, a bit like the old fashioned Army sausage bag!

All experiences welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now