You know that pudding that was fashionable about 20 yrs ago, with ginger snaps and lots of cream

(17 Posts)
cat64 Wed 31-Mar-10 21:12:22

Message withdrawn

hellymelly Wed 31-Mar-10 21:14:29

Brandy snaps? You set them into a curl by rolling them around a spoon when hot and then when cold you fill them with whipped cream,or brandy laced whipped cream.Is that it?

My mum used to do one with gingernuts sandwiched together with crushed pineapple, then the whole thing covered with whipped cream. Might it have been that?

cat64 Wed 31-Mar-10 21:18:00

Message withdrawn

Picante Wed 31-Mar-10 21:19:13

My mum soaked ginger biscuits in sherry, stuck them together and covered them in cream.

GENIUS.

In fact I'm going to have to make that now!

onehitwonder Wed 31-Mar-10 21:23:06

My mum used to make this in the 70s. Ginger biscuits, dipped both sides in sherry, so they soak up plenty of booze grin. Sandwiched together with lots of whipped double cream and made into a circle shape (or I guess a log for less people?). Then more cream slathered over the top to completely cover the biscuits. Leave overnight in the fridge so that the biscuits go all soft, then cut on an angle so you get stripy effect from the biscuits.

Lovely - might have to make it myself over the weekend. grin

My mum does nice biscuits soaked in rum then stuck together with thick whipped cream.

Lilymaid Wed 31-Mar-10 21:23:14

Ginger Cream Roll

Ingredients:
One pack of ginger nuts
227ml double cream
Some sherry or other sweet wine

Method:
Whip cream.
Dip one gingernut into sherry (just put a little in a saucer and top up as required).
Put a dollop of cream on one side of gingernut.
Dip next gingernut into sherry.
Sandwich with first gingernut and put dollop of cream on other side.
And so on and on until you have sandwiched the entire pack of biscuits together into a log.
Then cover with the rest of the whipped cream.
Put in fridge for a few hours, decorate with sliced stem ginger or whatever takes your fancy.
When you serve it cut into slices on the diagonal. Most people don't realise it is only biscuits, booze and cream and think you have spent ages baking sponge etc.

IIRC you drain a tin of crushed pineapple, dip the biscuits in the juice and make a stack of dipped biscuits sandwiched with the drained pineapple (the faffing about probably makes sure the juice gets over every inch of biscuit...). Then turn the whole stack on its side and scoop/smear whipped cream over it, making a sort of Yule-log effect.

tootootired Wed 31-Mar-10 21:25:15

yep - DH used to make this when he lived in a bedsit!

tinned pineapple chunks
Dip gingernut biscuits in the juice and arrange in individual dishes

then put pineapple chunks on top and top with whipped cream

agasarecool Wed 31-Mar-10 21:27:46

Same as these but with mandarin oranges instead of the pineapple... yum yum

We did it with ladyfingers

(am I going to regret writing that?)

cat64 Wed 31-Mar-10 21:36:27

Message withdrawn

FairyMel Thu 01-Apr-10 19:35:15

We make it with chocolate chip cookies. Very very nice!

HinnyPet Thu 01-Apr-10 19:37:59

Ginger biccies, sherry and double cream, known as Dougal in these parts (for some reason)

sammac Thu 01-Apr-10 19:53:31

I make same but use chocolate chip cookies- no-one ever realises what it is!

Amuminplymouth96 Tue 08-Oct-13 13:31:54

Thank you for reminding me. My son who is now 45 reminded us about the Boozy cream pudding covered in cream last week, that we occasionally had back in the 70's. He is here again this evening and we are going to introduce his 18 year old twins to it. We didn't know what it was called so we named it Gopping!. It is not a good discription of it though because it really is yummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now