Ideas for 80's themed dinner party...

(11 Posts)
gemmummy Thu 12-Nov-09 10:53:19

I'm thinking prawn cocktail for starters, but maybe that's a bit obvious. What about a main and dessert? What screams 80's? Also, ideas for decorations, music? Important: this is not a formal thing, some good friends who are up for a laugh.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Thu 12-Nov-09 10:57:12

Prawn cocktail is obvious, but good. Or maybe garlic mushrooms?

For main how about chicken Kiev, and dessert it has to be Vienetta!

We have the Ashes to Ashes CD , it has lots of fab 80's stuff on it.

thumbwitch Thu 12-Nov-09 11:02:11

Decorations should definitely involve glitter.
So should clothes - shiny-sparkly, colours like magenta, teal, deep royal blue, silver.. and that's just the tights and eye makeup!
Melon another good starter - also avocado and prawns
Coronation Chicken if not the kiev variety )although I think kiev is the best )
Vienetta or Arctic Roll (or perhaps that was more 70s?); baked alaska if you can manage it
Drink - HAS to be a babycham! Or Malibu (urgh, can't believe I used to drink that stuff)
There are lots of 80s collections out there but you MUST have Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Frankie GTH, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Flock of Seagulls, Wham, Bronski Beat... so many I can't even remember them all.

thelunar66 Thu 12-Nov-09 11:02:51

I recall chilli con carne being popular in the early 80s. And black forest gataux for pudding.

MissAnneElk Thu 12-Nov-09 11:08:24

Garlic Mushrooms
Peppered Steak
Profiteroles (sp?)

and a quick trip to New Look for the outfits. I was amazed when I went in there with DD last week. Batwing sleeves, blazers with the sleeves rolled up, leggings, long jumpers etc.

Bucharest Thu 12-Nov-09 11:09:42

Nigella has a retro chapter in her Express book, I think crepes suzette, avocado, and pineapple upside down cake feature quite heavily.

boolifooli Thu 12-Nov-09 11:10:12

Don't forget the After Eight's!

InterruptingKid Thu 12-Nov-09 11:10:55

thumbwithcs are all too 70s imo

InterruptingKid Thu 12-Nov-09 11:11:07

anne elk is more like it

thumbwitch Thu 12-Nov-09 11:11:43

Matchmakers, surely? Only we can't get them any more, can we...

gemmummy Thu 12-Nov-09 11:11:51

Thanks guys, I wasn't born til 81 so need all the help I can get!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now