Difference between a food processor, a mixer and a blender?

(7 Posts)
DorisH Sun 20-Sep-09 22:02:40

Doh. I know I shouldn't admit to being this thick, but could someone explain to me the difference between a food processor, a mixer and a blender?

We've just got a juicer and were getting into making smoothies using it and our ancient cheapo blender. Now I've bust the blender, am looking for a replacement and find there's a whole world of kitchen appliances out there.

Would a blender do what mixer can do, or not? I've never made cakes using a mixer but that's because I've never had one. Ditto bread. Am I missing something?

TIA

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 22:10:18

I have been contemplating this too doris

I have a hand blender and a kenwood hand mixer which I use often

And a cumbersome food processor with loads of bits - none of which I ever use!

I agree there is a world of kitchen appliances out there to discover!

Hang on a mo

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 22:15:19

Right

A food processor - loads of bits, does all sorts of things, most of which you may never bother with - washing it up is a pain unless you have a dishwasher

hand mixer - fantastic for blending marg and sugar for cakes or for whipping up cream, with two whisky bits you attach - fab I use mine loads

Blender - similar to a mixer really but it blends! So great for banana smoothies

You can also get a jug blender but I cant see why anyone couldnt just manage with a hand blender tbh

Juicers - again something I own as part of my foodprocessor but I have never used it, too much faff washing up!

DorisH Sun 20-Sep-09 22:23:40

Thanks LIW.
I've got a stick blender which is fine for blending up soups or whatever or small quantities of fruit for smoothies.

But my friend reckons that a Kenwood chef is great for breadmaking -- use the dough hook, better than a breadmaker apparently.

But the Kenwood chef wouldn't be any good for blending would it?

Flippin eck.

Ivykaty44 Sun 20-Sep-09 22:28:26

I tryed making bread with my food p and it was crap (like a brick) - sorry but it is great for cakes coleslaw and soup but not bread. I use my bread maker for bread and it's great tasty stuff.

i use the liquidiser that I have had for ages for pesto and soup but the food p came with a liquidiser aswell.

I have a hand held mixer that I use for egg whites (meranges) and my dd uses to make cakes rather than the food p.

LauraIngallsWilder Sun 20-Sep-09 22:36:41

I am seriously toying with the idea of ditching my cumbersome food processor and replacing with
either of these

I like the idea that with those you have a blender and a mini chopper in one gadget

I have a panisonic bread maker which is fab - never bothered with the dough hook facility in the food processor

In fact there is nothing I have ever used my food processor for that I couldnt do with the handblender/minichopper I linked to above hence Im wondering about chucking the FP - it has a blender, juicer, grinder, grater, chopper etc etc but is too big to get down off the top of the cupboard so I never do

Plus its a pain to wash up!

ZariinKa25 Fri 06-May-16 08:45:01

Not sure how useful this post will be to answer your question but here it is: homeappliancesportal.com/mixer-and-a-blender
Cheers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now