victoria sponge quantities for 12" 10" and 8" all 5" deep please!!!

(52 Posts)
mothersmilk Sat 06-Jun-09 15:03:21

im making my friends wedding cake and she's requested victoria sponge im a confident baker but cant seem to find the right quantities anywere can anyone help the tin sizes are 12" 10" and 8" all of them are 5" deep
many thanks

glasgowgirl45 Sun 23-Aug-15 16:21:37

Help required ASAP!!! Making a wedding cake and two layers have sunk.....feeling quite panicky right now. I have taken the following recipe from the list re madeira cakes...8" square 250 stork/caster sugar/sr flour, 125 plain flour, 4 eggs.
10" square 315 stork/caster sugar/sr flour, 155 plain flour, 5 eggs.
12" square 375 stork/caster sugar/sr flour, 185 plain flour, 6 eggs.
These are the sizes that I need however, I have no idea if these quantities still stand (post was from 2009) or, what the individual baking times are and the best lining etc.
I think this type of cake may be better to hold marzipan/icing.
Your replies would greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Madeira cake is a firmer texture and so will carve more easily. Furthermore it will not dry out as quickly.

momof4dds Thu 19-Mar-15 07:35:28

Should be tall not talk shape !

momof4dds Thu 19-Mar-15 07:34:42

I am in urgent need of advice , I am making a Tardis cake tomorrow for my dd 18 and going to make thd sponge tonight , I have 2 x 8 inches tins . Do i make Madeira or basic sponge like Victoria ? I have to cut it into square to make the talk shape . Thank you in advance

Madeira cake actually improves for a couple of days before starting to dry out, so icing a couple of days before the wedding will be fine.

JoanSheila Tue 10-Feb-15 13:49:11

I will be making my son's wedding cake,and want to know how long in advance can I cover a madeira for the sponge layer without the cake drying out? I don't want it to be too last minute as I have to arrange flowers (either sugarpaste or artificial, not yet decided) draping down it, and want a day to do that, and to finish a couple of days before the wedding if possible.

Mummysboy2014 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:51:55

And also the cooking times thank you

Mummysboy2014 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:24:43

Hi all
I'm trying to bake a sponge cake
The tin is 13" and 4" deep

Anyone able to help with how much of the ingredients I shall need?

Many thanks Lisa

howardsa Thu 13-Nov-14 15:31:40

Thank you I will try that this evening. smile

Cut it with a large serrated knife. If you can, rest the knife on something of the right height and offer it up to the cake horizontally. Cut with a sawing action in to the middle and just work your way around the cake. Whatever you are resting the knife on should be around half the height of the cake (obviously), something like a muffin tray or a book. Once you have cut it, you will need to lift off very carefully as it could break. It might be best to have someone to help you, and each use a couple of spatulas to lift it off and on again.
Good luck!

howardsa Thu 13-Nov-14 10:36:19

Thank you, think it is 2.5 deep, next question how to slice it to put filling in, not made one this big before. smile

How deep is it? If it is 2.5" deep or more, that would be acceptable to me. I wouldn't want to go much thinner. That said, I wouldn't choose to have 2 layers of 2" as that becomes a humungous lump!!! We make a "Sliced Sponge" pan that is 2.5" deep, so that is about the right depth of cake I think. In the end, it is down to personal choice.

howardsa Thu 13-Nov-14 09:35:56

Hi, can you help me, I made a 12" Square madeira cake last night for my daughters 18th tomorrow, its come out lovely but dont think it is quite deep enough to slice in half, would you consider making another one to go on top. Your help woud be very much appreciated. smile

It should last that long. In fact Madeira improves with keeping a little. A week shouldn't be a problem.

tiger1234 Sat 14-Jun-14 17:20:25

Just made a 12in madria cake covering tomorrow , got told it will last a week till the Christian is that right .

Bluebelle1 Sun 11-Aug-13 14:27:43

Hi can anyone help please? I have a recipe for an 8" round lemon drizzle cake which I have been doing for a few years now using 6ozs each of Flour, margarine and sugar with 3 eggs. I always put the mixture all in one 8" tin and it comes out really nice and light, although I would like it to be a bit higher. My query is, if I increase the mixture to 8ozs of everything plus 4 eggs, is it best to divide the mixture between 2 8" cake tins or will it still come out ok if I just use the one tin? Any advice would be appreciated.

mommachadry Thu 08-Aug-13 16:15:04

Does anyone have a vanilla recipe for a 10inch round cake? Trying to make my son's birthday cake but can't find one x

Any help appreciated

LizzieL85, 14" Square is a heck of a big cake. Give me a call. I can't post the phone number here as it would probably be taken down for being "Too Commercial". It is a shame, as we are only trying to be helpful. You will find it here.

LizzieL85 Tue 06-Aug-13 12:10:54

Hello this is a msg for silverwoodhelpdesk. I would like the make the cake you posted in a 14inch , 10inch and 6 inch square cake about 2.5 inch in height.
Madeira Cake - 12” Square (with thanks to Jen Aldred)
Please may you advise me on Qty and cooking times.

Thank You.

Practitioner33 Sat 03-Aug-13 01:59:42

This recipe worked perfectly for me smile I am tackling a Castle Grayskull cake for my brothers 30th . . .end results could be interesting smile

I wouldn't do a Victoria because you don't want to be making it all at the last minute. I would do a Madeira cake which will keep much better (will improve with keeping) and remain moist. More importantly, it is much firmer and will stand much greater chance of supporting the weight of the upper tiers. You could, perhaps do a Victoria for the top tier.

Polly48 Tue 30-Jul-13 14:22:55

I am just about to start experimenting making a three tier sponge wedding cake although reading some of the earlier posts, this is probably going to be too light so support each tier. I have a 10" and a 6" cake tin and thought I would improvise with a 9" cake tin for the 8" cake. I think that I can adjust the recipes I have seen posted but if thin cake boards are used between each layer would this give some support. The finished cake will be filled with buttercream and raspberries and decorated with fresh flowers. Has anyone some suggestions - this cake is required on 23rd August.

PutThatDownNow Mon 01-Jul-13 12:30:17

Hi Joolsangel, I am sure someone far more skilled than I am will be along with advice but for me I would take the cheat's way out - make a Victoria sponge and cover with green butter icing and some flowers then add chocolate ladybirds. (You can buy these online if you can't find locally.)

joolsangel Sun 30-Jun-13 20:43:13

my DDs 5th birthday is coming up and she has asked for a ladybird birthday cake. I am no baker (only ever baked her last 4 birthday cakes and the odd cup cake). I would love to do square Victoria sponge with lady bird cake on top and im drawing a blank about how best to decorate both and fillings etc. any tips that aren't too ambitious would be great please!

tam1977 Fri 23-Nov-12 08:09:43

Good morning all im new to this so hope im doing it rite. Im trying to make a 12" by 12" by 4" deep sponge cake and it wont rise enough can anyone help with a recipe please x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now