Mumnset Village Show - Cupcake Competition

(606 Posts)
ChippyMinton Mon 18-Jun-07 11:31:17

Right ladies, new thread, let's get the rules set down so we can get baking

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 12:45:04

An idea based on Peachy's idea btw!!

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 12:44:08

...Ok Ok so no one wants cress eh eh.

I do think we should do a 'produce' comp at some point. Maybe to include flowers too. As F&Z says we should leave it until Aug. You should see my sunflower. It is the weediest most moth eated droopiest effort ever. It needs a lot of love (and a bit less rain) to be at competition standard.

In our village show there is a catagory entitled

An afternoon tea tray for one.

Quite a lot of scope there for scones/biscuits/cakes/delicate egg & cress sandwiches/nice china/silver tea spoons/delicate linen cloths etc.

I like the idea of anonymous entrees also.

Just a suggestion.....

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 12:25:17

or if we went with peachy's idea, we could have a "who can serve the most appetising afternoon tea" class with an approx budget, so we can all make are own faves (but i wouldnt fancy judging that one, talk about varied entries!)

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 12:20:06

Agree about anon entries, i quite wanted to show sil my entry online but didnt want to give away my mn id

if we did scones we could have catergories like :

best traditional cream tea (plain/sultana scones, jam and cream artfully arranged)

most inventive flavoured (may need to sub-divide to sweet and savoury)

childrens category (my dd is too small so im not sure what criteria should be)

Peachy Tue 26-Jun-07 11:07:16

And can do flapjacks or choccy cake (have fab receipes for both) or we could just have plate of baked goods, undecorated? Let poeple choose a bit what they do.

Peachy Tue 26-Jun-07 11:05:17

If we do flowers at some point I'll offer to judge rather than do, as did some courses in flower arrnaging so although not perfect, not as amateur as others, iyswim

MAybe next time to amke it easier (and it must have nbeen a nightmare tigi) we should simply give every entrant a number as someone said and a letter- either A for adult or C for child, make it far easier iyswim?

maisemor Tue 26-Jun-07 10:54:41

Where can I see all these cakes please?

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 10:46:43

I know I know

best face painted child

best face painted adult (done by child)

This has just inspired me and ds to enter for a real village show, we are doing "salad leaves in a pot" and "a cress head"

will cress grow by Saturday???? [help]

flapjacks

choc cake

I lioke that idea actually...I thought it half way through last comp....then there is no chance of it be a popularity/most needy/she can't win cos she won the las one contest...

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 10:41:55

Good idea

i have an idea!! (they don't come often so listen up!!)

the next one should be anonymous! when we put our pictures up we;ll just put #1, #2 etc. then we won't know who's is who's until the winners are announces and we fes up!

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 10:36:40

Tigi I think you were a fab judge in very difficult circumstances

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 10:36:01

Flowers LATER flowers LATER flowers LATER (say, August?)

I say is it alright me having just jumped in and joined your village show btw? I wasn't invited and now I am trying to choose what thing we do next

tell me to buggar orf if necessary

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:30:55

Can I just say folks that I had a real laff doing judging, but it was REALLY hard. I knew you'd all be upset at my decisions, but they were all so good. I have to say that though my favorite pic was BettyBuilders little girl, it was just a gorgeous pic. She should frame it.

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 10:28:11

scones... not enough variation to get it wrong, more like the VSC comp

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:27:56

vase of flowers vase of flowers vase of flowers vase of flowers vase of flowers

aw tigi! you did a great job judging!

i'll just have to try harder next time! (and be a bit more obvious maybe!! )

cookies or scones...
cookies or scones...

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:22:25

just nipping off to do a bit of dusting with my wonderful new polish - 'the original non-silicone wool silk furniture polish'. smells heavenly, and it lingers. DH been working away for 2 weeks, back today. If he gets a whiff of this he'll think I've polished every day, instead of spending hours on a computer judging a cupcake comp. lol!

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:19:12

I wouldn't LL, really I wouldn't - had nightmares all night about cupcakes not judged in the correct catogories... sob.

littlelapin Tue 26-Jun-07 10:15:24

I volunteer to judge next time

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:10:13

Tigi flounces back in.

Daemara Tue 26-Jun-07 10:05:39

well I have never actually tried to make scones before.. but I do have two lovely sounding recipes for knock off Starbucks Cinnamon scones, and a lovely blueberry and sourcream one..

love cookies though... have been hoarding a bag of nestles tollhouse chocolate chips in the back of the cuboard..

we will have to do pumpkin carving at Halloween though!

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 09:27:58

Either is fine by me... with biscuits/cookies there are more variations available, for recipes etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now