Mumnset Village Show - Cupcake Competition

(606 Posts)
Peachy Sun 01-Jul-07 15:36:19

Thanks, will sort out in a minute after DS1 is dropped at Church

littlelapin Sun 01-Jul-07 15:22:59

username mnafternoontea, password mumsnet

Peachy Sun 01-Jul-07 15:21:29

no for the treatray- mncupcakes wont bring up the albums, so has that changed?

what password? it's usually mumsnet for picturetrail.

littlelapin Sun 01-Jul-07 15:18:58

mumsnet

Peachy Sun 01-Jul-07 15:18:33

help! Whats the password?

littlelapin Sat 30-Jun-07 17:06:51

Oh good, I'm glad I was worried the postal strike might have left it lost in the ether!

Daemara Sat 30-Jun-07 16:00:12

ll- got my rosette in the morning today, thank you very much it totally brightened my day. *big hugs*

littlelapin Wed 27-Jun-07 00:04:52

UCM - I need your details for your rosette - littlelapin@gmail.com

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 13:47:34

New comp thread here

SlightlyMadShorthair Tue 26-Jun-07 13:33:44

And I expect to be able to see my reflection in the tea service are you will all be disqualified <evil scientist laugh>

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 13:32:55

tbh I don't have any dainty cups & saucers...I feel a trip to my mothers is in order.

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 13:31:14

9pm is fine.

<stands in front of giant floor to ceiling corner cupboard deciding which fine bone china tea set to use>

ha!

littlelapin Tue 26-Jun-07 13:26:33

<buffs milk jugs>

SlightlyMadShorthair Tue 26-Jun-07 13:25:36

I'll judge as I won't be joining afternoon tea - I know I can't beat LLs posh teaset

CAn we have a closing time of 9pm Sunday though or you will be waiting until late on Monday for a verdict....

Also could I have some judging criteria, as we did for cupcakes.

littlelapin Tue 26-Jun-07 13:21:36

Oh I want to do afternoon tea! <withdraws offer to judge>

<polishes silver>

--sorry for hijack ----

psst - Peachy ,,, I need a word -see thread in your name ...

Peachy Tue 26-Jun-07 13:17:59

Ah se I have good imitation plates LOL- (amazing what you can get in millets Sales )

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 13:14:42

£5 sounds fine, it should be approx as we all have different things in larder.

Peachy- the picnic one will seperate the Anthea fans from the rest, china plates for a picnic? pretty but impractical

Peachy Tue 26-Jun-07 13:09:38

That sounds a good one- maybe next time apicnic hamper would be appropriate LOL

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 13:07:06

Shall we set a deadline?

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 13:06:16

How much?

I suppose we will be feeding our families with our efforts (I'm liking the idea of a MN 'High Tea' on sunday...all over the country families will be sitting down at 4pm with napkins, mini sandwiches with crusts cut off and delicate scones).

Whats the budget for feeding a family high tea then?

£5? I'm assuming people already have flour/butter/eggs/jam etc in their larders

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 12:59:43

Certainly.

can I still use my lovely little silver spoons inherited from grandmother and never been out of velvet linedbox yet?

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 12:52:54

I do think that the afternoon tea for one should have a budget or spending limit to try and make it fairer and easier to judge

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 12:45:04

An idea based on Peachy's idea btw!!

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 12:44:08

...Ok Ok so no one wants cress eh eh.

I do think we should do a 'produce' comp at some point. Maybe to include flowers too. As F&Z says we should leave it until Aug. You should see my sunflower. It is the weediest most moth eated droopiest effort ever. It needs a lot of love (and a bit less rain) to be at competition standard.

In our village show there is a catagory entitled

An afternoon tea tray for one.

Quite a lot of scope there for scones/biscuits/cakes/delicate egg & cress sandwiches/nice china/silver tea spoons/delicate linen cloths etc.

I like the idea of anonymous entrees also.

Just a suggestion.....

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 12:25:17

or if we went with peachy's idea, we could have a "who can serve the most appetising afternoon tea" class with an approx budget, so we can all make are own faves (but i wouldnt fancy judging that one, talk about varied entries!)

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 12:20:06

Agree about anon entries, i quite wanted to show sil my entry online but didnt want to give away my mn id

if we did scones we could have catergories like :

best traditional cream tea (plain/sultana scones, jam and cream artfully arranged)

most inventive flavoured (may need to sub-divide to sweet and savoury)

childrens category (my dd is too small so im not sure what criteria should be)

Peachy Tue 26-Jun-07 11:07:16

And can do flapjacks or choccy cake (have fab receipes for both) or we could just have plate of baked goods, undecorated? Let poeple choose a bit what they do.

Peachy Tue 26-Jun-07 11:05:17

If we do flowers at some point I'll offer to judge rather than do, as did some courses in flower arrnaging so although not perfect, not as amateur as others, iyswim

MAybe next time to amke it easier (and it must have nbeen a nightmare tigi) we should simply give every entrant a number as someone said and a letter- either A for adult or C for child, make it far easier iyswim?

maisemor Tue 26-Jun-07 10:54:41

Where can I see all these cakes please?

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 10:46:43

I know I know

best face painted child

best face painted adult (done by child)

This has just inspired me and ds to enter for a real village show, we are doing "salad leaves in a pot" and "a cress head"

will cress grow by Saturday???? [help]

flapjacks

choc cake

I lioke that idea actually...I thought it half way through last comp....then there is no chance of it be a popularity/most needy/she can't win cos she won the las one contest...

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 10:41:55

Good idea

i have an idea!! (they don't come often so listen up!!)

the next one should be anonymous! when we put our pictures up we;ll just put #1, #2 etc. then we won't know who's is who's until the winners are announces and we fes up!

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 10:36:40

Tigi I think you were a fab judge in very difficult circumstances

FrannyandZooey Tue 26-Jun-07 10:36:01

Flowers LATER flowers LATER flowers LATER (say, August?)

I say is it alright me having just jumped in and joined your village show btw? I wasn't invited and now I am trying to choose what thing we do next

tell me to buggar orf if necessary

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:30:55

Can I just say folks that I had a real laff doing judging, but it was REALLY hard. I knew you'd all be upset at my decisions, but they were all so good. I have to say that though my favorite pic was BettyBuilders little girl, it was just a gorgeous pic. She should frame it.

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 10:28:11

scones... not enough variation to get it wrong, more like the VSC comp

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:27:56

vase of flowers vase of flowers vase of flowers vase of flowers vase of flowers

aw tigi! you did a great job judging!

i'll just have to try harder next time! (and be a bit more obvious maybe!! )

cookies or scones...
cookies or scones...

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:22:25

just nipping off to do a bit of dusting with my wonderful new polish - 'the original non-silicone wool silk furniture polish'. smells heavenly, and it lingers. DH been working away for 2 weeks, back today. If he gets a whiff of this he'll think I've polished every day, instead of spending hours on a computer judging a cupcake comp. lol!

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:19:12

I wouldn't LL, really I wouldn't - had nightmares all night about cupcakes not judged in the correct catogories... sob.

littlelapin Tue 26-Jun-07 10:15:24

I volunteer to judge next time

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Tue 26-Jun-07 10:10:13

Tigi flounces back in.

Daemara Tue 26-Jun-07 10:05:39

well I have never actually tried to make scones before.. but I do have two lovely sounding recipes for knock off Starbucks Cinnamon scones, and a lovely blueberry and sourcream one..

love cookies though... have been hoarding a bag of nestles tollhouse chocolate chips in the back of the cuboard..

we will have to do pumpkin carving at Halloween though!

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 09:27:58

Either is fine by me... with biscuits/cookies there are more variations available, for recipes etc

littleducks Tue 26-Jun-07 09:21:00

hmm, scones or biscuits?

ooh scones! yes!!

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 09:14:47

Or scones... we could do a proper cream tea

MrsFish Tue 26-Jun-07 08:50:57

How about jam tarts?

littlelapin Tue 26-Jun-07 08:46:57

<ok then I'll just whisper "instability">

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jun-07 08:31:12

Done LL!

Sorry ladies that I wasn't really about here last night (that is the second live judging I've missed), DH wanted the functioning computer, WI programme on, communication systems meltdown etc etc.

Anyway, I hope there is still plentiful MN Village Show love still about .

A RL friend gave me a huge lecture the other day that getting involved in a internet baking competition with a bunch of strangers was surely a symptom of mental unstableness (not sure if that is a word) and that I should start doing proper serious RL things instead.

My reply was that I was having fun. A lot of fun. Why can't mummies have some silly fun now and again.

So anyone up for more silly fun?

(I'll just whisper cress again very quietly at the bottom here. See you hardly even heard it)

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 22:21:25

Details please from those winners/mummies that haven't sent them yet to littlelapin@gmail.com - I shall endeavour to get them out over the next couple of days (unless Portsmouth sinks )

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 21:48:36

fishie yes I agree

tastes bloody awful though LOL!

Daemara Mon 25-Jun-07 21:43:54

goodnight everyone off to tidy up horrendous mess DH has made trying to find something without asking where it was. but at least he is doing the dishes

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:43:46

I thought tigi was being humorous in the face of adversity too

damn interweb

sorry for crashing in crazy late on the judging 'n' all (got waylaid in the pimms tent).
Judging notes (and subsequent comments) have had me rofl. Dh is looking bemused
Tigi/dontaskmeto... marrvellous judging, many thanks ("btb cakes not the best but lovely little girl")

And littlelapin, I shall email you for a certif for dd

fishie Mon 25-Jun-07 21:39:29

peachy i think the octopus is a very charming cake and deserves a special award.

am very impressed by all entries, such artistry wih the icing. now what is next week?

Daemara Mon 25-Jun-07 21:37:03

whats the addy?

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 21:33:52

perhaps we should get abck to cupcakes

I was trying to be humourous F&Z just thought I had cocked it up badly- poor tigi didnt seem happy!

Now these cupcakes- anyone been on the squires kitchen website shop? MIL swears by it!

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:27:34

Peachy, I just thought you were being humorous in the face of adversity

sorry about PMT and lack of dx for ds

Daemara Mon 25-Jun-07 21:19:43

FrannyandZooey - thank you I never ever thought I would win though, as I thought they were all really great

Peachy- *big hugs* I don't think you were being bitchy... and havign just had a quick peek at that thread you have the right to be queen of all bitches. hugs

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 21:13:38

(if i'm coming over as a real bitch sorry - can I claim PMT (which when you've been ttc 8 months is really a bit sad) plus this)

Sorry again

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 21:10:50

Daemara they were really beautiful, well done

Daemara Mon 25-Jun-07 21:09:51

hello, sorry I'm late everyone I just got the power back on about five minutes ago. grumble... At least Frizbe kindly called me to tell me all the excitment. Thank you very much Tigi, and be hugs to everyone involved. This was really fun and I must admit to almost being teary eyed, I never really won much before.. Feeling very proud. Now if only I can off load the rest of these here cupcakes.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 21:07:06

Oh goodness, programme re WI, must watch that.

<still applauding all contestants as she heads down stairs>

PS Apologies for the Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Cress Party earlier on.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 21:05:15

Sorry I'm so late, blimin' computer/network etc

Brilliant Judging tigi (and I'm not just saying that as you awarded dd's a rosette). Loved your judging notes. lol, this online baking malarkey is hilarious.

Well done to all, I really was blown away by some of the proper serious entries. I am very impressed, you all must have long thin delicate fingers and excellent eye sight .

LOL at ladies int eh computer!!!

Mercy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:49:53

Haven't read this thread but there is a programme on toniht at 9 pm, BBC 4 re the Women's Institute. Nt sure if you'll learn how to make the perfect cupcake or VSC but you never know!

Anyway I'm sure this thread is nothing to do with either by now

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 20:44:05

Oooh oooh oooh how EXCITING

well done everyone, and please don't feel at ALL guilty that ds went to bed saying "do you think the kind ladies in your computer will send me a rosette Mummy?"

Tigi your notes made me LOL

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 20:38:16

No, had the girls round for coffee - icing everywhere

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:36:21

Its just 1 strawberry one and two of DS2's sea creatures- too much colouring and sugar for my liking!

LL- are you no longer LITTLELapin then (or did you share?)

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 20:34:50

(Actually I'm lying - mine have been eaten - all 50 of 'em!)

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 20:32:15

Peachy - my cakes are still in the fridge too, don't want to chuck them or eat them either

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:30:17

Ni I knew that LOL- just trying to be happy and smiley

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 20:24:26

Actually Peachy, I was offering it to Tigi but I have emough for everyone!

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:19:45

LOL LL- last thing I need to eat is a blardy cupcake! Been living off them for days!

9and at least if the kids weren't entered by mistakethey can't get sad- problem solved )

Still got that blardy red octopus in the fridge tho- had to remove from boys yesterday after majr sugar high! Cant bear to throw it, cant face eating it either!

Blu Mon 25-Jun-07 20:17:10

Ooooawwwww, who would have thought it?

Good cakes all round, but I could have sworn that MrsFish would win one prize or another....

<<Blu puts hands on hips in a bosmy blousy sort of way>>

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 20:14:24

Here, have a cupcake - I've got loooooads!

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:14:19

Ory i didnt mean to upset anyone

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Mon 25-Jun-07 20:12:59

I'm not being stroppy - honest

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 20:10:49

Ohh, don't be stroppy tigi, we do appreciate it, honestly. Peachy just wants her little ones' efforts to be applauded <applauds wildly>.

DontAskMeToJudgeCupCakeComps Mon 25-Jun-07 20:09:55

I'm sorry peachy it was an oversight - I had so much to think about. My house never got cleared up today because I spent all day judging!

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 20:07:00

Thank you Tigi <polite round of applause> I have the fast car round the corner, if you'd like to nip in and get away from the baying mob...

An excellent and thorough job of judging. I'd like to point out that my carbon footprint is the size of a small child's, as I do not drive .

If the winners could email me with their details on littlelapin@gmail.com, and also anyone who would like a certificate for their children (I shall put "Highly Commended" ). If you would like the child's name printed onto the certificate, put their name in the email (you can have a certificate per child) but if you would rather not email your child's name to some mad woman who you only know over the internet who enters online baking contest I can put in a blank line for you to fill in the names.

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 20:02:31

Oops sorry didn't mean to scare everyone away.

Thank you tigi- it was just a genuine query!

Shall slink of in shame now

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:55:15

there was a there Tigi!

Can I ask though- how come my children got a mention as Peachy, rather than as children? It did give their ages on my pics.

Bibis Mon 25-Jun-07 19:54:22

I thought mrs Fish's background was the best and why wasn't that commended?

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:53:11

Thank you Littleducks - I did have fun with this.

littleducks Mon 25-Jun-07 19:51:28

thanks for taking the time tigi, don't you know all the best judges are whispered about in the corner of the marquee!

littleducks Mon 25-Jun-07 19:50:04

<<cupcakes are defined as plain sponge underneath with highly decorative tops, pineapple cakes should fall into the muffin class..>>

well done all those who won, hope to join in again next time

MommyUpNorth Mon 25-Jun-07 19:50:03

Oh my goodness I missed my name being called (thought this was at 8!)... I can't believe I got a first place in something... Woohoo!! And ds will be thrilled that his cupcake dino got a mention.

Huge congrats to everyone who joined in. I loved a lot of the other entries and will be making more cupcakes based on some soon!

So what's up for next week then?

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:49:51

i'm fed up now.
I've spent all day worrying about which piggin' cake should win, and now you are all crabby with me.

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:47:35

Do we get a better judge next time?

ChippyMinton Mon 25-Jun-07 19:47:32

Hands up those who would rather have pick n mix on their cakes, than dull old fruit? Too many hands to count? Thought so.

I did like daemara's ice crem though

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 19:47:01

I just wanted to set the record straight that I made all of the icing things, bar the obvious jelly sweets and silver balls

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:46:30

Thanks tigi for judging.

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:46:01

LL said they were, my 3 would definitely appreicate it

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:45:48

Don't moan at meeeeeeeeeeee

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:45:16

Are we doing certficates for all of the children who took part??

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:44:14

Can I just point out the chocolate piles were made by my SN 3 year old so that they were recommended! I did like the Octopus though.

obviously i have to explain my cakes!!

first one: beach scene. water, sand, little red spade

second one: picnic scene (i made all the grass). the yellow thing is a sandwich. in the side view one you can see the lettuce and tomato peeking out. and the blakc thing is an ant. (the uninvited guest...)

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 19:42:14

And I was ill after making the cakes because I was on my feet all day.

Just to set the record straight

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 19:41:38

I DID MAKE THE LADYBIRDS MYSELF, and the flip flops and the Bee!!!

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:40:39

Ladies, may I share with you a copy of the Judges notes?

Mrs Fish, Lovely, but did not make ladybirds self. Used sickness issues for sympathy vote.
Mrs Tweedy, dainty display, impressed has been able to grow a marshmallow bush on allotment. (Visit pending by RHS.)
Mumupnorth – cupcakeasaurus highly recommended.
Peachy – chocolate piles highly recommended. Covered all options to appeal to judging team using fruit and sweets.
Slubber eenies Good kitchen snaps, impressive range of baking ingredients.
Slubgullion – highly different…
UCM – the judge likes cats. Impressed with the pineapple and choc recipe. Cat poop?
BettyBuilder – cakes not the best but lovely little girl. Commended by judges.
F&Z = Kids, tiny cakes. Recogition for health issue with the amount of fruit used.
ChippyMinton - admitted sweets not homemade. Good presentation.
Daemara– extreme weather issues fully addressed.
Little Ducks – sweet flowers. Very dainty.
LL – rainbow, excessive use of cakes (thinking of carbon footprint). Good display.
Mrs Fish – good ideas. Tissue paper used effectively.
Purplemonkey – judges expressed confusion what 2nd cake was….?

MrsTweedy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:40:26

Joins purple in polite applause and realises should have used fruit from the Jelly Baby bush instead.

goingfor3 Mon 25-Jun-07 19:39:30

The ice cream cupcake is amazing, what a fab idea!!!!!

goingfor3 Mon 25-Jun-07 19:39:30

The ice cream cupcake is amazing, what a fab idea!!!!!

yes please!

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:38:15

Ladies, would you like to see the judges notes?

at least you got a mention, fish!

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 19:36:52

I'm with you purple... spent far too many hours making mine

Must not be as adventurous next time

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:36:44

Daemara still has no power, but I've got her on the phone.....
Daemara is currently speechless, she'd like to thank Tigi very much for judging and everyone else for the lovely, beautiful contributions to the competition, especially the kids
She will be back on herself when the power is back on and when her dh stops taking the micky out of her

polite appluase

(i can't believe how disappointed i am! i really really need to get a life!)

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:35:08

Yay Daemara

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:35:02

Ladies Ladies, order please.

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:34:49

Yay well done UCM

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:34:29

Bits and Bobs award - in special appreciation to Slubberdegullion.

Cutest picture mention - of course this has to go to BettyBuilder. What a lovely lovely picture. Beautiful.

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:33:24

Oh no, poor Daemara can't be here as she has a power cut.

<<big clap clap for her anyway>> ring her wont you.

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:32:35

special mentions to follow in a minute when the roar dies down........

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:32:11

Yayyyy gotta rosette!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to thank my parents, god, the lady next door who held up my cake and all of the good people in the world, my milkman, the lady in the cake decorating shop, and last of all you lot, for making this sooooooooo much fun!!

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:31:54

Overall – Daemara

This prize is awarded for the perfection of the solitary cake seen at the end of Daemars’s photographic album. It is seen with a swirl of icing with a succulent strawberry dropped on top. The symmetry of the image is a marvel to behold.

The judge was bowled over with delight and ecstasy to see the absolute perfection of Daemara’s cake. Completely perfect and 100% round, sat in the case proudly, with no excess dollops or slops of icing sugar or sweeties to be seen. A marvellous specimen that makes me very proud indeed to be a member of the WI. Daemara will receive automatic entry to the ‘All England Cupcake Championships’ to be held in the Blackpool Ballroom on 1 April 2008. All spectators welcome (subject to £20 entry fee and smart dress code to be adhered to – no flipflops accepted into the the pimms and champagne reception tent).

To summarise, the cake is a perfect shape in perfect proportion, with a simple effective swirl of creamy icing, with a perfect strawberry. A perfect cake, and it tasted delicious too.

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:31:05

overall winner to be announced when i have a bit of hush.
ladies, ladies

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:31:03

Congrats to all the winners!

(and I will now tell kids they got a commendation coz I cant be arsed to spend night drying tears)

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:30:08

Most Inventive Presentation – UCM

The judge was most impressed with the pineapple and chocolate recipe used for these cakes. Highly original and authentic. The judge was especially pleased to receive a sample to taste in the post prior to the actual event. The pineapple was found to add just the right tang to the cake. The judge is very fond of cats, and thought that the setting of the cat cakes to be seen in their natural habitat of fences and trellis was a superb idea, absolutely spot on, and very ingenious. The apples of course should be seen on the ground with grubs in them. Fabulous all round ideas.

A close runner up was found in Littlelapins rainbow arrangement, although the judges voiced concerns about the excessive number of cakes required to make an impact. Chippyminton was also nominated as being highly recommended. A very difficult category to judge.

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 19:29:49

The only thing I didn't make were the silver balls and the butterfly [sulk]

well done mummyupnorth

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:29:16

well done mupnorth

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:28:36

Whey Hey MUN, well done hon <<clap clap>>

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:27:53

Best Decoration Winner – MommyUpNorth

These delightful cakes caught the eye of the Judging panel as soon as they set foot in marquee. The attention to detail was very impressive, and the miniscule proportions incredible. The artwork is reminiscent of the great Picasso. It is obvious to the judging panel that the artist must have spent a great many hours studying the view on Blackpool beach to produce this masterpiece.
On the other cakes the sweeties were well arranged to gain attention of the Judging party. The Cupcake-a-saurus also comes very highly recommended within the children section.

Mrs Fish came a close runner up, as did Chippyminton. Both were let down by the fact that the sweeties were not home made. Attention to these small things is most important to the eyes of the judging panel.

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:27:14

Big clap for the little slubs <<clap clap>>

applause

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:26:30

yay! well done

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:26:08

awwww

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:25:54

Childrens Winner – Slubereenies

The Judging panel were particularly impressed with the array of baking materials used, and at hand within the kitchen. Also, the cleanliness and lack of mess within the confines of the kitchen noted. The obvious use of ‘Ariel for all your whites’ impressive too. The carefully haphazard use of sweeties drew the eye of the younger judges who felt this was a ‘real’ cake rather than the use of fruit.
It should be noted that fruit featured highly this year, and our fruity contestants should be given a round of applause for aiming to reduce calories consumed.

Highly recommended (in no particular order)
Franny&Zooey / BuilderBetty /MumupNorth (cupcakeasaurus)

<giggles nervously>

(so seriously i am!)

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:25:14

please be patient as i copy and paste........

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:24:28

ladie ladies, a very high standard of baking seen here in this marquee today. I have had a very difficult and worrying task to identify winners. Please be patient as I go through each award. a polite applause would be welcome for each winner, as is the custom. pause.

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:23:22

<<shivers with excitement>>

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:23:21

daemara can't join you as power cut just happened, lucky I don't live too close to her, so I can relay for you via phone!

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:22:49

drum roll

<holds breath...>

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 19:21:53

Do it now, please. I have to go before 8.

Frizbe Mon 25-Jun-07 19:18:33

ooh how exciting, have just txt'd one of your competitors to get her to log on!! lol

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 19:17:59

Just go for it

8 is kids yto bed time here, and dh to work time

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 19:16:21

Evening ladies. The judging has now all been finalised, and decisions have been made. Results are typed up and ready to be transmitted. I have told bakers to be present at 8. Does it seem fair to wait until 8, or should i start now?

who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won? who won?

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 18:41:49

Tigi, are we there yet

Yeah but that would compromise mine and theirs identity.

Just google 'arabidopsis thaliana' and you will open up a whole new world of links....

<may not be the cress we eat though >

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:41:08

yes, I think I shoud go now and attend to my children.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:39:50

link to your cress resaerch mate....surely he/she has a web site (I though all sciency types had web sites these days...being sciency and all).

tbh I'm getting a bit tired now

Could someone please get arrange to get Slubs sectioned....she appears to have lost the plot

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:38:28

link to what?

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:36:59

link please Oh stroppy one.

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 18:36:44

Well at least with cress we could all take part, we nedn't have been blessed with a garden, wanting to plant six months ago and also (my issue) not is possession of a psychotic neighbour who chooses to build brieze block extgensions over their flower beds when theya re away (yes, the landlord is dealing LOL)

Whrn do we get the garden in a tea tray please? That was always my fave (hey look, i come from Somerset- I know these things)

I do great jam and chutneys too from my own garden, but they don't photograph well sadly.

Daemara Mon 25-Jun-07 18:36:40

Bit of a hard sell I think. Personally I'd rather eat grass than cress.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:36:22

Actually I do know someone that does proper scientific research on cress....

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:34:46

Nah - you keep going...you'll have a GCSE in MN links at this rate

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:33:27
Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:32:00
Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:30:04
Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 18:28:27
FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 17:31:38

[damn why didn't I think of that emoticon]

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 17:29:47

What flowers I did have have been ruined by these storms

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 17:22:03

[panic]

I haven't GOT any flowers yet, give me till August for that one

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 17:18:51

quietly peeps round door..... - 'what about a vase of garden flowers for the next one?'
closes door quiettly, and carries on judging (been at it all day, with the help of Tigiwinkle juniors as well)

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 16:30:39

I think I can definitely make a salad exciting

[huff]

and we should absolutely do best sunflower

I quite liked best plate of sandwiches as well

Peachy Mon 25-Jun-07 15:59:32

<<PEachy wonders what she could do for bribery value....>>

Nah you all know how wonderful and deserving my kids are despite their personal difficulties etc etc etc (cue violins)

(* NB* Actually the only one in with a shout is the only NT one before you all hit me!!!! }

LOL

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 14:31:23

Well it's an idea. Could be remarkably silly. Could get the DC involved. Healthy and edible end product. Would boost flagging cress seed sales.

It's win-win-win-win all the way!

ChippyMinton Mon 25-Jun-07 14:29:41

Slubber did you just say cress comp on misdee's thread? I am sooo going to win that one

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 14:17:26

lol, veg carving. Not a commonly seen class in the village show.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 14:16:39

What else grows quick, and in a pot?

i LIKE that SMS!!

Ooooo whatabout potato/veg carving???

so for those of us who don't grow our own veg we'll be trawling through the spuds in morrisons looking for soemthing that looks like the queen?

oh, yes, and I like Mrs Tweedy's idea of amusing/mutant veg shapes in the style of 'That's Life'

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 14:05:37

Well we could always do an amusing cress comp.

All I can say is that I am glad I am not a judge.....hard decision...

Oh and I almost started a sunflower competition the other week until I realised I was too late to put mine in....

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 13:59:15

Some of them are really good though. I mean, wow look at the skill in that good.

To coin a phrase from the vegetable guys off the British Village show prog

'I take my glasses off to them'

I think your right - the ones in with a shout have kept within limits....

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 13:54:02

SMS...har har.

Go dust Lapin with pickleaxe...she brought out the firt entry with 50 bloody cakes in.

So the rest of us just folowed along like silly sheep.

I think the main contenderes have only done 6 though.

filthymindedvixen Mon 25-Jun-07 13:50:14

MNWI? God no, you're all far too bossy and competitive! Can you imagine the battle for supremacy? ...erm, I mean chairperson

Daemara Mon 25-Jun-07 13:48:45

My DH thinks I'm mad for having gone to the effort of baking and decorating cupcakes for this. I said that I make them every week anyway, and if I wasn't such a coward about the whole thing I'd do a market stall. As it is I have promised to do a cake stall at ds preschool fete. I figure If that goes well I might have the courage to do a bit more. maybe I am a bit mad after all.

well, come join the MNWI!!

filthymindedvixen Mon 25-Jun-07 13:47:16

where were you lot all when I was tentatively asking about joining the WI back in Feb??? Eh? Eh?

This is so not fair

I was acused of cheating by using White jam

Nobody believes I have genetically modified reaspberries - but you all believe Mrs Tweedy grows marshallows - which is more likely - hey? hey?

You lot are cheating by usiong more than 6 cakes - but then the rules get bent for you...

By ChippyMinton on Sun 24-Jun-07 21:09:36
Erm..as i wrote the rules, i hereby add tanother which is

<drum roll>

4. The Universal Rule that all rules are to be broken wherever possible.

SMS stomps around marquee dusting all the cakes with a liberal sprinkling of fast acting laxatives....

Take that up yer pipe and smoke it

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 13:32:19

I would just like to say (in a fairly large arse kissy like me like me way) that Cod certainly has her finger on the pulse here.

Waaaaay back, right at the begining of the original VSC thread she said that MN should have it's own village show topic.
She has a MN crystal ball that woman.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 13:25:25

Good idea MUN. We have a most bedragled sunflower atm, but if I knew it was going to be in a comp then I would go and give it some serious nurturing.

I couldn't believe how quickly our salad grew, so if we started a salady comp at the start of the hols then we could judge at the end.

I love the children's minature gardens on the Great British Village Show programme. My dd's would def. be into doing one of those.

MrsTweedy Mon 25-Jun-07 13:24:29

Yes, so we could have a marrow/pumpkin/most unusal shaped vegetable competition.

Or just use one ingredient eg strawberries and the prize would be for the best recipe/idea.

MommyUpNorth Mon 25-Jun-07 13:21:42

I love the idea of other categories, but if they're going to be really specific could we maybe have a list of things coming up? If it was a certain type of veg, fruit or flower I could see my kids getting very excited about growing their very own one.

Perhaps some kiddie comps for throughout the summer holidays to keep them focused on things to... (hopeful!)

MrsTweedy Mon 25-Jun-07 13:21:30

How about fruit salad?
Or most interesting/tasty looking sandwich?
Could do with some new sandwich ideas.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 13:05:33

8pm......nooooo another 7 hours of cake angst. I can hardly bear the tension.

I can't do cakes this w/e as it is our Village Fete and I have to be completely focused on my winning Pirate Wench costume.
(Village Show & VSC not until mid July btw).

I could also do mixed salad as my pots are looking OK. Not sure how competitive or amusing salad could be made though F&Z.

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 11:45:49

LOL at Tigi

I was wondering whether we could have some other types of categories later in the season, like vegetables or flowers (says she anticipating her sweet peas and sunflowers ever coming up)

and yes something other than cakes would be good

how about a bowl of mixed salad? (eyes home grown lettuces smugly)

maybe we should ask our families what they would like next week?

chocolate cake?
novelty cake?
pies?

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 11:27:28

Right - what are we going to do next week?

right.

the judge we have for our next comp must not have any other obligations in the morning.

8??? i have to wait until 8???!!!!

tigi Mon 25-Jun-07 10:40:21

Have just had a quick five mins, and it was a quick one, in the judging arena.I have to say that the standard is very high indeed (shakes head worridly), I can't be expected to make a decision very quickly. There are so many factors to consider, as well as the usual bribery and corruption promises. For example, how can I ignore the information given by Mrs Tweedy that she has a marshmallow bush on her allotment? Such dedication to cake making industry is so rarely seen... Also, some kitchen photographs are used to exhort and cause jelousy in others (shakes head despairingly)
And of course children are used throughout in the photographs. How can I reject one child for another? The poor little souls may never recover from the hurt and humiliation of my rash decisions. I regret that this may take much longer than anticipated.
Please be advised that I must now go to a forum on 'preservation of icing sugar within the home', and am then required to do market research on chutney in a local shopping centre this afternoon. I would be obliged if you could all return at 8 for the final announcement. Regards, Judge Tigi

ChippyMinton Mon 25-Jun-07 09:55:00

Aw shucks, thanks MUN. Your seaside cake puts me in mind of the great Impressionists

All the entries are fab, we are sooo talented. Right i must go and make my school sports day cakes. I have separated several tubes of smarties into red, yellow, green and <wail> purple because there are no blue ones anymore. Will do bright blue icing instead

MommyUpNorth Mon 25-Jun-07 09:50:01

Aww, thanks. Slubber, what a cool job that would be!

I think there are some wonderful decorators among us... Chippy we're really lovin' your bugs. The kids have asked if we can make those next!

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 08:43:43

Whoa, there are some superb cakes there

<hides entry under a doiley>

FrannyandZooey Mon 25-Jun-07 08:40:43

<scurries around picking fluff off cakes>

<nibbling some of the other entries>

<hiding crumbs in pinny>

littlelapin Mon 25-Jun-07 08:39:06

Mommyupnorth - wow! <impressed>

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jun-07 08:23:52

I think Judge tigi isn't in the cake marquee until lunchtime, ladies. She's in a chutney tribunal all morning.

Holy moley, just looked at the final list. There is so NO WAY that I'm winning this week. Mommyupnorth, I am very impressed. Are you a professional icer per-chance??

MrsFish Mon 25-Jun-07 08:22:57

Mummyupnorth - liking the cakes I too bought so much, I dread to think how much I have spent, my dh thinks I'm mad

littleducks Mon 25-Jun-07 08:04:35

So I guess i wasnt the only one to get up and wonder when the winners would be announced!

WaynettaSlob Mon 25-Jun-07 08:03:41

They all look fab - you have such great imaginations and an eye for detail.

(Am now v.hungry!!)

<<whispers>> is anyone up yet? is judge tigi getting ready??

UCM Mon 25-Jun-07 00:28:43

Can I add that my actual cakes were pineapple & coconut muffins.

MommyUpNorth Sun 24-Jun-07 23:16:14

Fantastic entries yet again!

We had a blast making and decorating cupcakes & fairy cakes this afternoon. I think the kids were a bit suprised by the amount of decorating stuff... cue dd 'can we really use everything!'

ds2 (age 3) looked like he was going to give it a try, so he took a large spoon full of pink frosting and then somehow stirred it into the middle of the cupcake and then ate it! Didn't quite understand the point of decorating for show!

Good luck to everyone!

mambach Sun 24-Jun-07 22:27:44

oops you're all great!!!

mambach Sun 24-Jun-07 22:27:14

Gutted!!! Ran out of time to bake cakes this weekend, we went on a family bike ride instead!! I had some great ideas too, but not going to tell you lot incase there's another cup cake comp! By the way looked at all the cakes and really like MrsFish, but all are fabulous, well done to all of you, your all great!

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 21:40:30

Sorted, littleducks

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 21:31:34

Just to say that the only things I didn't make were the tiny flowers on the ladybird cakes

I really enjoyed doing this but it took up far too much of my time this weekend, and made me ill (well maybe not that last bit but it has taken me 24 hrs to recover from being ill, must have been a bug)

I now have a fridge full of cake but no inclination to eat them, DH husband doesn't have a sweet tooth either

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Jun-07 21:28:07

I was going to do 48 cakes, i think, 12 in each colour. It's a cake stall so hopefully plenty of other cakes there too.

tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 21:26:03

Won't you have to bake enough for the entire school then?

littleducks Sun 24-Jun-07 21:26:02

Finally managed to get a moment and have uploaded mine, but i think i have created a duplicate album with no pics that i now cant delete so if someone could do that for me please.

Some lovely entries now i have had a look.
I have never mouldeed icing into flowers before but its really addictive, i think i will keep practicing!

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 21:25:37

Do a badge (you know, prefects badge shape) and flood it with the house colour

So a round cake top, a badge shape piped on top (in black or gold) and then flood with colour. You could pipe the house name across the badge?

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Jun-07 21:23:43

This thread has inspired me to come over all Alpha Mum tomorrow when i bake cupcakes for school sports day. I'm going to do several in each house colour and artfully arrange them on a tray. Any inspired suggestions gratefully appreciated.

tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 21:13:23

Thank God for that, else I will be changing my name on Tuesday, from 'Tigi', to 'Trauma' or 'CupCakeSuicide' or
'never askmetojudgeacakecompetitionagain'

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 21:12:52

I think there are only about six of ds's left now, does that help?

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 21:11:20

I like Chippy's answer

We are all friends here - there's been so much effort, let's not penalise anyone

tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 21:10:25

You could post anything over 6 cakes to me to eat, sample, and score?

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Jun-07 21:09:36

Erm..as i wrote the rules, i hereby add tanother which is

<drum roll>

4. The Universal Rule that all rules are to be broken wherever possible.

Does that help you Tigi? (idid stick to the rules BTW but only because i had them off by heart)

tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 21:09:20

I didn't make the rules, LL did. It's up to you all if you want a group chat about it, it just makes it awkward for me. I don't know what to do. can you just let me know what you decide please... I'll go with '6 or more' or just '6', up to you.

When I was little, I made 6 butterfly cakes for a school competition. About an hour before we left home, my mum realised there were only five, my brother had eaten one! He got into so much trouble with my mum, and I couldn't enter the comp - oh this cupcake competition has brought the memories back!!

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 21:08:34

[panics]

I am new to all this!

I just followed what the big girls were doing!

Are our cakes going to be confiscated now?

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 21:07:33

Franny, you only had 10 - I have 50!!!

I think we can relax that one slightly, can't we? Not for my benefit, I am not expecting to place!

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 21:02:10

Oh dear oh dear
are we going to be disqualified? I just copied everyone else. We were only meant to have SIX cakes chaps

tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 20:58:50

Judge Tigi here -

Here are the rules, as defined by LL

THE RULES

1. the recipe and size (muffin or fairy cake) is up to you (ie anything goes)
2. the deadline is midnight on Sunday for pictures to be posted on the competition picture trail
3. you may submit a maximum of six cakes in total in all or any of the following categories:

Best decoration
Most inventive presentation
Best childrens' entry
Overall

I have just popped into the marquee for a quick pre-peek and meet with door security, and I note how high the standard appears to be this year. It will be very hard to judge, I can tell you.. (smooths pinny, and brushes icing sugar from shoulder). It was noted, however, that some rules have been bent, with regard to the numbers of cakes entered. This is making it very difficult for me...
Prizes will be awarded as above.
My itinery is very tight tommorow, with meetings at various marquees all day. I may not be available in the marquee until 7pm, due to the jam makers AGM. However, if the Best Saucer garden can be finished early, judging of the cup cakes may commence 1pm. I will post a notice tommorow to advise when attendance is required, and an announcement will be due.
Regards, Judge Tigi

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:52:44

Well I'm off to make myself a proper hot chocolate and settle onto the sofa with DH to watch Rome.

See all you lovely ladies here tomorrow for the results

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:47:10

Aha, well cutting a block of butter in half is a doddle.

There is still so much to learn re the art of baking!

I've just had a good look at all the cupcakes, and there are some terrifically talented cupcakers out there.

I can't believe that I'm in a discussion about recipes ("d"h calls my cooking Cordon Noir) but dd and I used a recipe from the BBC food website by James Martin but cunningly used soya butter to make them dairy free, so I could eat 'em,too.

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:45:19

ooohh fancy cup LL. I cannot buy anymore cookbooks. My window ledge is groaning, half of them I will only have done one recipe. DD's cramp my cooking style big time!

MP...norty. We are trying to raise the tone here!

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 20:44:28

half a cup is basically half a block of butter.. if you measure it once you normally remember, a whole block of butter is about a cup... my cake recipe calls for a half a cup so the other half is used for the icing.. Unsalted butter btw

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 20:43:47

MP

Slubbers, yes butter is an issue. It's the whole "sticks" thing . FYI a stick of butter is 4oz or half a cup

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:40:55

How do you measure butter in a cup? I mean when you cut up the block its, well all squarish, and a cup is not. Do you have to squish it down into the cup to get a proper cups worth??

(even my mum uses her scales for butter)

morningpaper Sun 24-Jun-07 20:40:22

bumsex carrot cake (sorry)

There are some FABULOUS entries here

Also some very nice kitchens

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 20:39:13

Slubs, get thyself these (second item down) - I have them and they make life much easier with American cookbooks (my utter favourite)

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 20:36:18

Slubber- yup i do admit to being American, ex-Californian to be exact... I can't figure out the whole scales thing.. its just so much easier to do a cup of this cup of that.. when I do use cups that it.. alot of my cooking is a bit more organic and chaotic than that...

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:29:28

Ta Daemara, is confectioners sugar the same as icing sugar?

Your use of cups is a dead givaway that your an expat . My Mum does everything in cups (she's an Aussie) so I'll ask her for an interpretation!

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:25:55

Wow , they're amazing. I'd love to have a talent like that. What a fun job.

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 20:24:44

Slubber-

Vanilla Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup butter (about half a packet)
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon milk (or water)
1 teaspoon vanilla ( I used a little more to be very vanilla-y)

Beat butter until smooth. Cream in the sugar. When smooth add milk (water) and vanilla, beating until creamy. Its very simple but very nice.

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 20:22:26

My inspiration Slubbers.

Have a look at some of the other pictures on there - really gorgeous cakes. Shame she's in Singapore!

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:14:50

In a completely nerdy fashion I loved doing the weighing bit in HFW's VSC. 'Twas like a science experiment.

I though your icing was great LL.

I'm going to nab your idea for a Rainbow Guides activity!

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 20:10:48

I did Hugh FearlesslyEatsItAll and did the weighing the eggs thing - lovely and light and risen.

Shame about the dire icing

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:08:53

Daemara, recp. for vanilla butter cream frosting please

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 20:07:13

I used my favorite vinilla cake recipe.. and vanilla butter cream frosting... all the cakes look lovely though.. especially the childrens ones

i used the H F-W recipe. with a little added vanilla. very yummy!

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 20:01:25

la la la

<<pumps out lovely cakey vibes>>

So shall we discuss recipes for the cupcakes? Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Nigellas VSC I did use her all in one magimix resp for the cupcakes. It worked a treat.

Anyone ever tried those fancy cakes with molten stuff in the middle?

thanks, Slubber

Vive le cupcakes

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 19:41:06

She's v cute betty

Let's keep bumping the cupcakes, to counteract the general rudeness that is abounding here on MN tonight

Think the pics are there now betty's dd
It's been raining all day, and the sun came out the second I took the photo...so you'll have to imagine the rain!

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 19:08:42

Oh they are all so great. I love all the children's ones.

Don't envy your job tomorrow tigi. Some very strong entries there (proper serious icing going on over the weekend so I see).

Good luck to all

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 18:33:26
tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 18:24:28

Pink pinny is in the ironing basket. Hair to be coiffered in the morn. hairspray poised for action. Best brown walking brogues to be polished. May the best cupcake win.....

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:54:46

LOL

No, it was a clasic thread- very funny

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 16:51:01

Oh I see Peachy... I was going to suggest you had a shower

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 16:50:14

oooh ds is home

<<<excited>>>

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:48:49

Erm, you know what I mean- did you see the bluecheese thread? A MN classic

didnt eman blue cheese bumsex one LOL

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 16:45:23

eeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:44:47

See Dh loved it as it mean I was off MN for several hours LOL

Bumsex cupcake sounds rather amusing, how about a blue cheese one?

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 16:42:28

I loved the octopus

If it wasn't for the fact that DH would probably leave me if I make any more cakes for online competitions I'd be tempted to try and craft a bumsex cupcake

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:40:21

I rather thougt ds2's octopus was quite good

However the only one who can do a jigsaw is ds3- who is probably going to special school- so no linkage thereof methinks!

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 16:33:50

Slubber's are superb

DS has gone swimming but we will carry on when he gets back

I can promise you that they won't look ANYTHING like any of the ones on here. You are all very talented and I bet your children are good at jigsaw puzzles and stuff

littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 16:27:45

It's only a few pence, no sweat

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:25:04

(LL thanks - they would love a certificate! Can I cover postage though? or you could e-mail it)

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:24:19
littlelapin Sun 24-Jun-07 16:23:41

They are all SO fantastic!

Slubbers wins my vote for comedy value though, those are hilarious - the tantrum had me PMSL! I might have to make you a special rosette!

Incidentally, I am happy to do a certificate for any junior entrants

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 16:22:48

Mine up now

with a suitably tongue in cheek up me owna rse blurb on each one

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 16:22:28

UCM- normally my ds (3 and a half) loves to help bake and decorate but today he just grumped at me then decided he wanted to eat the cupcakes which he eventually did. well at least the icecream shaped one... pics of him on my profile

mrs fish, i was going to do flip flops too! )glad i didn't now, they wouldn't have been as good as yours!!)

UCM Sun 24-Jun-07 16:09:54

I simply cannot believe that ANY of you let your kids near cakes/decorating.....DS was threatened with premature beheading if he came near my whilst making mine.

dd and I made some cupcakes earlier this afternoon, then I saw this thread in active convos, so I've let her loose with the icing and sprinkles, and I'll now attempt to upload a piccy!

PandaG Sun 24-Jun-07 16:07:57

Thanks Mrs Fish

some really fab cakes, I love cake decorating

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 16:02:45

Here you go http://www.picturetrail.com/mncupcakes

PandaG Sun 24-Jun-07 15:55:50

any chance of a link to the picturetrail please? I'd love to have a look. I've no time to bake, made 3 doz cupcakes and 2 doz biscuits yesterday for a friend's BBQ. I hope to be able to join in with the next comp though

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 15:51:22

Daemara - just checked out your profile, I live in Derbyshire too

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 15:48:39

MrsFish- Love the flip flops!

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 15:47:39

SlightlyMadSugar- Thank you! I was going to try and make a deck chair type of thing but coulden't figure it out. I barely got my dh to take the pictures for me as DH and DS just wanted to eat them!

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 15:44:10

OK, mine are uploaded now, 2 summer themes running, in the garden and by the beach

Peachy Sun 24-Jun-07 15:10:04

All ours made (DS2 is particularly prud of his whilst ds1 seemed to want to scoff the decs- am mega proud of ds3 thougha s he did his all himself and they look great, which given that he is a 3 year old develeopmentally delayed asd kid is rpetty- well WOW- can you guess the size of my grin LOL)

Mone are a bit boring but I shall call them classy, LOL.

waiting fro abtteries on camera to charge will then upload

SlightlyMadSugar Sun 24-Jun-07 14:47:28

Deamera - I like your interpretation of the theme

Daemara Sun 24-Jun-07 14:44:05

Ok have uploaded my pictures, it took a while to get my head around picture trail.

FrannyandZooey Sun 24-Jun-07 12:26:55

Well you will be pleased to know rain has bollocked up all our plans for today, so Ds has completed the first stage of his cupcake entry and I am sitting here in my pyjamas [bliss]

he is just off to the shop with dp to get some decorations now

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Jun-07 12:24:18

Tigi, you have proven credentials and must go and iron your pink pinny.

I recall Francagoestohollywood wanted to judge too. but havn't seen her around?

Am LOL at the pure genius of our iced offerings

tigi Sun 24-Jun-07 11:49:33

Morning cupcakes, lovely to see the baking going so well, can almost smell the aroma! Am I judging, or someone else, or joint? I wasn't sure. Need to know whether I should make the time to iron my pink frilly pinny, or if just my grease splattered green one willl do?

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 11:17:00

Just finished taking mine, will download and upload as soon as... prepare to be amazed

roffle!

those are great slub!!

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 10:54:47

Now I know I haven't exactly stuck to the rules (but look at LL's ffs).

A day in the life is a Beatles song, isn't it??? [vvv hopeful emoticon]

and there are only 6 of the slubbereenies cakes, and we were singing nusery rhymes as we decorated (mostly Old Mcdonald).

Please don't disqualify me .

I was going to do flowers (like Chippy's) but she got there first (damn damn)

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 10:51:51

OK, and I'm done.

So my DD's efforts are here. We are currently in the throws of sugar rush mania.

And my work entitled A day in the life (of an Alpha MN Cup Cake) is there as well.

ok i'm up

but the pics aren't very good. i'll redo them when i get my camera back this afternoon.

now...where am i going to put my rosette??

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 10:04:19

Starting to feel better thanks. Need to decide how to photograph these things now

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 09:42:57

Righto, ta.

Get better soon MrsFish

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Jun-07 09:35:43

Morning fellow bakers . MrsFish, hope you feel better soon.
Slubber the caption thing - upload photos then click on manage photos, then it shows the pics and you can click to edit each one. Type into the boxes - i'm not sure which one. TBH i can't find my way back to the edit page .

Slubberdegullion Sun 24-Jun-07 09:28:51

I'm about to start taking piccies.

Can I ask, how do you get the title of your photo at the top? Do I have to name the photo before I upload it? My photos need titles or no one will know what the hell my cakes are on about.

MrsFish Sun 24-Jun-07 09:10:08

Will hopefully post some pictures at some point, at the moment feel to ill to leave the sofa

UCM Sun 24-Jun-07 01:15:32

I had beautiful things to say about my cakes.

Windfalls

Shoot or shoo

But none of the titles seem to have happened !!!

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Jun-07 22:01:36

SlightlyMadSugar Sat 23-Jun-07 21:59:23

Well my genetically modified jam didn't get any points

MrsTweedy Sat 23-Jun-07 21:56:06

Well mine are up but I'll try & take a better picture tomorrow (light was very bad today loads of rainclouds). The detail on everyone else's buns is incredible, mine are a bit plain really.

However the marshmallows are from the marshmallow bush on my allotment, do I get extra points for that?

UCM Sat 23-Jun-07 21:23:01

Well its summer and everyone is moaning about cat turds etc etc

MrsFish Sat 23-Jun-07 21:02:19

Will post mine tomorrow, been at it for a few hours this afternoon, but have had to stop as started feeling ill, don't know what I have eaten but a good 3 hurls later seems to have sorted it, just feel knackered now.

yoyo Sat 23-Jun-07 20:53:39

Chippyminton - DS has declared yours the most fantastic bug cakes he has seen! Would love to join in with these but do not have the technology.

suedonim Sat 23-Jun-07 20:50:16

And scrummy looking cakes everyone! Dd2 wants to eat the fish bowl one.

suedonim Sat 23-Jun-07 20:48:24

UCM, is that cat shit I see on your lawn?

maybe a cake decorating comp? i have a good idea but it won't fit on a cupcake!

great apples BTW UCM!!

UCM the apple ones are fantastic!

mambach Sat 23-Jun-07 20:08:42

Lots gone on since I last looked, Oh no! not sure if mine would be any good now....haven't made any yet!!!

Slubberdegullion Sat 23-Jun-07 20:05:04

Oh they're good UCM.

They're all looking good so far. (bugger)

UCM Sat 23-Jun-07 20:00:12
UCM Sat 23-Jun-07 19:59:49

Mine are in

Slubberdegullion Sat 23-Jun-07 19:55:35

It IS MN's fault I made NINE VSC's. You egged me on.

Slubberdegullion Sat 23-Jun-07 19:54:37

Well, OK then. But maybe monday's overall winner should be allowed to choose (like in eye spy). I'd be interested in trying the Mars/Drizzle/choc bar thigmy you're asking about atm SMS.

SlightlyMadSugar Sat 23-Jun-07 19:52:53

Oh and it is not our fault you made 5+ VSCs

SlightlyMadSugar Sat 23-Jun-07 19:51:20

But my choc cake is fab fab fab....no contest....please....even DP says so and he seriously does nopt 'do' choc...

Slubberdegullion Sat 23-Jun-07 19:47:39

SMS, maybe a low cal. snack comp? Jeans are undone now to sit on the sofa.

SlightlyMadSugar Sat 23-Jun-07 19:41:38

Oooo whats next weeks contest....I am off work all week....lots of time on my hands.....no DP......bake and photograph till my hearts content......chocolate cake/gatauex???????

COme to think of it what is on the agenda for the next 6 weeks....I could do 1 per day and save the piccies...

KerryMum Sat 23-Jun-07 19:40:22

KerryMum Sat 23-Jun-07 19:39:21

FGS!

Do we REALLY have to have this sort of carryon on MN?

I mean some of us find it disturbing!

UCM Sat 23-Jun-07 19:37:18

OK, I am having a problem getting in LL, MNcupcakes password mumsnet correct?

SlightlyMadSugar Sat 23-Jun-07 19:34:35

I think LL should be disqualified. Rules state 6 cakes....

Oh and I am pulling out as I havn't had time as DTDs homework took far longer than planned this week. Now if anyone wants my fab idea(s) just shout...

Slubberdegullion Sat 23-Jun-07 19:28:10

Fab cakes Chippy. Love the butterflies.

I have been unable to bake today due to being laid low by a vicious strain of the common cold. The rosette that UCM sent me is currently under investigation in a govt. lab, its viral load is being tested as we speak.

These rosettes are a highly sought after award....underhand tactics are something to be expected now I'm afraid.

Bibis Sat 23-Jun-07 18:45:11

Chippy

Isn't the disco ball thing something from MacDonalds Happy Meals??

oh you are a STAR!

fab cupcakes!

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Jun-07 12:19:23

have put pic on my profile just for you purplemonkeydishwasher

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Jun-07 11:34:46

Entitled The Ugly Bug Ball, ChippyMinton's entry takes cupcake theming to a new level. Utilising the stunning range of sweeties avaiable at Woolies pick n mix plus specialist edible glitter, these delightful cupcakes depict ethereal butterflies, dancing caterpillars, a lone predatory male wasp and a greedy ant scoffing a leaf from the all-night buffet.

{grin]

Idreamofdaleks Sat 23-Jun-07 11:00:45

stunning cupcakes chippy

oh bum.

i'm at work and can't get onto picture trail.

can you just describe them for me chippy?

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Jun-07 10:17:22

My entry is here

Now i have to clear away the props before DH gets back from football practice

littlelapin Sat 23-Jun-07 09:52:12

Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and bluuuuue...

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow tooooo.

LL - great cupcakes!

one suggestion though: ROY G BIV!

Slubberdegullion Sat 23-Jun-07 08:57:41

F&Z, kitchen posturing is purely optional

kickassangel Sat 23-Jun-07 08:31:48

on a tangent - dd loves nemo. i'm thinking of doing a standard shape cake, witha pic of nemo on - is painting it on the easiest/best way? i'm not v good at painting soa little worried.

kickassangel Sat 23-Jun-07 08:24:00

pants - kitchen still out of use! i am not supposed to be using the floor! - so levitation is in order! any cupcakes i make will have to be very light & airy - floaty light!
d'yer think cod will have anything to say about my kitchen if i post pics now - clue, dd keeps running around shouting 'it's very dusty'

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Jun-07 07:56:27

Have a great holiday oliviamumsnet

<hey ladies the boss is going away...heehee...what shall we get up to?>

Welcome jasmineaha

jasmineaha Fri 22-Jun-07 22:43:00

fab will see what i can do.

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 22:37:16

Come on in, no such thing as regulars only! (unless you are a highly talented cake decorating ringer <gives jasmineaha a suspicious look>)

Read down a bit for rules and links.

jasmineaha Fri 22-Jun-07 22:32:31

ooh can i enter i usually lurk but this looks like fun, plus its a friends bday so i can give the cakes to her for a bday cake as well or am i too late to register? or is it regulars only?

FrannyandZooey Fri 22-Jun-07 22:18:59

Jeez you are going to judge my KITCHEN as well?

I am outta here baby

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Jun-07 22:18:05

You were in the newsletter as well ChippyMinton!
Good luck all, I'm on hols from tomorrow so can't assist with the eating, I mean, judging, but hope it's a great competition.

UCM Fri 22-Jun-07 22:12:45

Mickey Mouse cake is wonderful!@!!!!!

UCM Fri 22-Jun-07 22:12:39

Mickey Mouse cake is wonderful!@!!!!!

UCM Fri 22-Jun-07 22:11:35

Excellent, my kinda people

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 22:03:35

Shedloads of black icing.

And there was a food fight - it was nasty!

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 22:01:31

I ended up having to paint it on straight from the bottle in the end as I couldn't get enough black ready to roll icing

It was great watching people eat it, as they all had black teeth and lips

ChippyMinton Fri 22-Jun-07 22:01:03

A warning tale about food colouring - My mum made a brilliant thomas cake with plenty of blue and black icing. The next day the DC's poos were blue too

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 21:57:42

That is one cool mouse. At least one pot of black colouring paste, I am guessing?!

ChippyMinton Fri 22-Jun-07 21:57:32

Just popping in to welcome any newcomers to this thread (thanks Morning Paper for the mention )

Competition is open to all, scroll down to Little Lapin's posts of on Fri 22-Jun-07 08:59:22 for the rules and picture trail link.
Deadline is midnight on Sunday

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 21:57:04

Oh god no, they are a pain! Fiddly fiddly and DS keeps trying to chew them!

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 21:56:59

Another chance to post my best effort mickey mouse

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 21:53:40

I think you should send a rosette to yourself anyway, for being very good at making rosettes.

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 21:44:32

Blimey I was about to disqualify Slubbers, amateurs only allowed!

Here's a better effort of mine from years ago.

I know I said only six, but I meant six different entries... and they are very small... and besides, I do not hold out much hope of winning (or I will have to post a rosette to myself )

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 21:42:01

naaaaaaaaaah, I am still trying to work out how to upload piccies onto the profiles. Then you'll see some I made earlier

Thought a cake Budda would calm you further LL but actually it looks like a turd in tupperware

UCM Fri 22-Jun-07 21:34:48

Blimey Slubs is that one of yours, I may have to call in sick for this one

UCM Fri 22-Jun-07 21:33:37

LL, you said a maximum of 6, now I am not nagging, but............

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 21:31:18
UCM Fri 22-Jun-07 21:24:00

Awww LL don't get hooked in by it. I had death threats last night and I am still here Now, theme is 'in the garden' isn't it

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 21:20:20

LL...more cake love here (acting as an antidote to MN nastiness).

Did you decorate all those one handed (with DS being held by your other arm)? One handed cake decorating earns bonus points.

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 21:16:02

I'm going to make sure I show off my kitchen

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 21:14:39

apologies. why cannot I spell that word properly?

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 21:13:50

Ooooh LL, very pretty! Nice cake-song linkage there. (maybe a few more than 6 there though....... They look very edible!

F&Z. Aplogies. Of course there will be no pity. Your asymetrical cakes will stand strong and proud and they will be welcomed.
All cakes ar equal here.

(Your kitchen though is another matter. If you happen to accidently get any of your kitchen appliances, tiles or flooring into shot, prepare for it to be commented upon and ridiculed as necessary).

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 20:53:36

Probably won't be on MN much tonight... getting very angry on other threads but I will not bring it here to our haven of tranquil cakeiness!

My entry is on the picturetrail

tigi Fri 22-Jun-07 20:14:50

Those rosettes are gorgeous! Must have taken you ages!

FrannyandZooey Fri 22-Jun-07 20:08:42

I don't need your pity

just because my cupcakes are of different stature and consistency to other cupcakes

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 19:55:21

There was an award of pity at the Victoria Sponge comp F&Z.

FrannyandZooey Fri 22-Jun-07 19:54:33

Will people laugh and point if they are not symmetrical and all that? Mine are full of love but not usually very aesthetic

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 19:53:15

cor look at the completed rosette set.

[very very impressed emoticon]LL

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 19:51:42

Ooooooooooooh Ladies, a cake threads gone nasty (LDC one). It was only a matter of time. Let us all stir our stumps and await some horrid person to dare and come and slag off our cup cakes.

<takes up electric handbeater in pose of readiness>

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 19:50:23

Good, I want to see what the competition is like :D

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 19:16:42

No, I will have to be a premature celebrator I think as I am not sure what time I will be home on Sunday.

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 19:15:28

So will you be prematurely uploading again LL?

Or holding back to keep the competition guessing??

Slubberdegullion Fri 22-Jun-07 19:13:42

I'm getting excited again. I will be commencing warm up stretching and mental imagary again tonight.

<see that second rosette on the cork board, see that second rosette on the cork board etc>

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 19:13:05

I have finished mine, but decorating was hampered by a grumpy toddler demanding to be held

littleducks Fri 22-Jun-07 17:54:41

oh, i didnt think of that, im not sure pictures of HALF a banana cake will go down so well, thanks for the advice will come back to use it when i need to upload pictures.

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 17:41:19

I have made my cakes, and attempted to decorate a couple but have a limited colour palette, may need to go out AGAIN and get some more stuff.

ChippyMinton Fri 22-Jun-07 17:37:20

LD take a pic of your banana cake in case we do another competition To post your pictures, log in to the picture trail (details further down the thread), create a new album and click on upload your pics.

I had a fine old time at Woolies pick n mix this morning Just need to start baking.

littleducks Fri 22-Jun-07 15:18:20

ooh, just found this after reading round up, i better start planning, i have just baked banana loaf what a waste that i cant enter that, if i had known i would have done cupcakes, i might need help putting photos on picture trail though

mine are in the oven
i think we should have a re-match on the VSC comp cause i've cracked it! light and airy!!

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 13:45:37

well, I have a design that needs lots... and most of them are tiny ones to be honest

Plus I'm going to see my new niece tomorrow, and my BIL just turned 30, so I am taking them in place of a big cake

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 13:43:14

You only need to do six for the comp, do you need that many for practice?

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 13:41:40

well, decorate YES, eat NO - maybe

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 13:40:33

Blimey, hope you aren't going to decorate and eat all of those

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 13:39:42

well, there are now 64 cupcakes cooling in my kitchen...

MrsFish Fri 22-Jun-07 13:22:53

I haven't told DH what I am up to either luckily he is out all day sunday so I have free reign

FrannyandZooey Fri 22-Jun-07 13:14:27

I can see myself setting the alarm to wake ds up at 11 pm on Sunday evening so we can make them, you know

there is no ruddy way I am entering any adult categories, I will have to pass my work off as a child's effort

i think i have a plan!....
AND DH got paid last night so i can spend a tiny bit of money without feeling too guilty!!

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 10:38:58

Do you go to toddler group etc? Say you are making them for that (DH has given up after seeing me making the rosettes, he already thinks I'm deranged )

i need a reason to be making them...I can't tell DH the REAL reason!

littlelapin Fri 22-Jun-07 09:51:24