Rules for Village Show Victoria Sponge Cake

(607 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Jun-07 21:07:25

So I am taking the plunge and am going to enter a Victoria Sponge Cake into our local village show.

I'm not pussy-footing around with lemon curd. Oh no, straight into the Blue Riband event.

But I am a little afraid as I know there are rules. And these rules are not written down. If you have to ask, well you shoudn't be entering (well that's what I am sensing).

So I'm going to ask in happy annonymity here.

Size (18 or 20cm)?
Butter or marg?
What type of jam?
Cream filling?
Icing sugar or caster sugar on the top?
Doilly? (Sp?)

Seasoned village show entrants (or judges) your help gladly recieved.

ArtisanLentilWeaver Sat 22-Jun-13 09:23:02

I cried at 'The High sift" grin

Yes, this must go to Classics.

RustyBear Sat 22-Jun-13 09:13:25

While it's here, shouldn't this be in Classics?

gillypanda Sat 22-Jun-13 09:09:00

I've just found this thread by Googling "Baking competition victoria sponge" and have spent an hour reading it all! A brilliant and very entertaining read grin

I'm entering a competition tomorrow which has no rules, except the entries have to be in the marquee by 10:30am. It's 30 years since I entered my baking into any sort of competition and I've had such fun reading through all this.

I guess that, despite "no rules" they won't be wanting cream in my VCS, but if I get there and I'm the only one who hasn't, I shan't be amused! It's being judged professionally, let's hope they agree. I also want to enter the bread section, but that will be such an early start, like a "proper" baker I'm not sure I'll manage that as well. Fingers crossed!

Oi, away with your accusations of resurrecting an old thread! That was yummyyummymummy. I was just showing an interest after I was suckered in to reading an old thead.

<flounce>

grin

A very belated congratulations on your 2nd place, Slubber! grin

<wonders how many others will see this in active convos and not notice it's age?wink>

T has already decided on our scarecrow - but I bet I'll be making it!

Indith Mon 01-Nov-10 13:41:11

Good going slubber.

Yes SPB I did come second and third. Mustn't forget our scarecrow came 3rd. Next year we'll be on a mission!

For the fullness of the record I came first with my cookies and received two further seconds for my jar of 5 fresh herbs and ugliest vegetable.

any anyway I didn't resurrect this, Sacharissa did, a few weeks ago <cough>. and it's only polite to answer when you come across it when you are searching your name to see if anyone missed you while you took a break accidentally.

didn't you come second and third??
I think that's even better

GuyFawkesIsMyLoveSlave Mon 01-Nov-10 13:16:06

I saw that this thread had been resurrected and thought "Oooh, I wonder whether Slubber won in the end?". Glad to see that others wondered the same thing and that Slubber was on hand to answer promptly...

lol Indith. A second is still second even in a field of 4. well done grin

Indith Mon 01-Nov-10 13:04:07

I came second with my Victoria Sandwich <proud> <ignores the old thread bumping competition> <conveniently forgets that only 4 cakes were entered, of which 2 were mine>.

go on then, I will do my best

Trillian rules are no cream, rasp jam, caster sugar dusting. everything else is fully open to personal sponge artistic licence.

SPB do the Robert Palmer is death thread. Someone always falls for that 'really how sad sad' when he has been dead for aeons.

not that you're bitter
Shall I go an resurrect a thread from 2006 and see how many people I can sucker in?

Well done Slubs!

What were the rules in the end? Were they rules or just tradition that a cake with cream in the middle never won?

(didn't actually read whole thread, resuscitating a 'village fete' thread in November is always suspicious)

I lost out to a cake that imvo had a dry looking crust.

Not that I bear a grudge 3 years on or anything.

how odd
well done slubber

I came second (out of a field of 13 or 14 - a BIG field anyway) but a placing nonetheless.

I still have the little certificate somewhere.

SacharissaCryptlock Tue 12-Oct-10 17:03:15

I need to know the outcome. Even though it was 3 years ago!

Well, Slubber, did you win? grin

yummyyummymummy Sun 10-Oct-10 13:56:55

Hi I got a lovely vinatage cake stand at a webiste called www.mrs-cakestand.com and it was free postage!

Get one from Waitrose....bash it a bit. Eh voila! <<takes slummy mummy bow and tit falls out of bra>>

bohemianbint Tue 26-Jun-07 20:09:16

Sorry, latecomer to this fantastic thread but just wanted to say, re doily, that there was a whole programme on Radio 4 the other day devoted to the use and etiquette of doilies. With Janet Ellis. Sorry, I can't remember what the upshot was, other than that you should probably eschew any doilies with Wayne Ronney's face on.

Sorry, not much use after all but fascinated by the kind of person who would buy a Wayne Rooney doily...

Pidge Mon 18-Jun-07 20:51:55

Congratulations!!!!

I made strawberry ice cream today - halving the recipe because we just had some left over strawbs that I was using up - unfortunately I forgot to halve the quantity of sugar. Methinks the kids are going to love it!

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Jun-07 12:53:37

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Village Show here I come!

slubber, have you just won the competition???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now