Rules for Village Show Victoria Sponge Cake

(607 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Sat 09-Jun-07 21:07:25

So I am taking the plunge and am going to enter a Victoria Sponge Cake into our local village show.

I'm not pussy-footing around with lemon curd. Oh no, straight into the Blue Riband event.

But I am a little afraid as I know there are rules. And these rules are not written down. If you have to ask, well you shoudn't be entering (well that's what I am sensing).

So I'm going to ask in happy annonymity here.

Size (18 or 20cm)?
Butter or marg?
What type of jam?
Cream filling?
Icing sugar or caster sugar on the top?
Doilly? (Sp?)

Seasoned village show entrants (or judges) your help gladly recieved.

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Jun-07 08:42:20

SMS the welsh woman cake won.

MrsFish Mon 18-Jun-07 07:48:20

Thankyou will try that out.

aviatrix Sun 17-Jun-07 22:46:54

mrs fish - 200g plain flour and 125g butter in food processor - pulse until fine. add one or two egg yolks to combine. Voila.

(water is the enemy of pastry)

SlightlyMadScientist Sun 17-Jun-07 22:38:37

Did you see teh cake decorating on the Great British Village show today. The map of wales was Shite. Which one won. When I last saw it they were getting a third jusdge in to deliberate between that tall green thing (not actually sure what it was) and the little lady cakes.

Pidge Sun 17-Jun-07 21:05:44

I'm going to be restricting my baking obsession too - I did the London marathon this year, but now my running shoes are gathering dust somewhat, I can ill afford to eat this quantity of pudding/cake without becoming distinctly blobby!

MrsFish Sun 17-Jun-07 21:00:58

Pastry is one thing I can not get right, so a pastry thread would be good

Slubberdegullion Sun 17-Jun-07 20:58:44

Pidge, no more VSC for me for a few weeks now. I'm starting to smell of them.

Could you not start a pastry thread either, jeans considerably tighter than they were a week ago.

Pidge Sun 17-Jun-07 20:54:22

slubber - feeble I know, I'm just wasn't in VSC mood, and had a requirement for a non-cake dessert for entertainment purposes. Pretty good it was too - though the pastry was somewhat dry and crumbly rather than melt in the mouth - I feel a whole new pastry thread coming on ....

kickassangel Sun 17-Jun-07 14:05:46

ooh slubber was that a bit of a pointed comment towards a certain film star?
do you have a child called blackberry (goes well with apples)

Slubberdegullion Sun 17-Jun-07 08:30:39

My cake and I owe everything to our friends and expert advisors here on this thread.

<yes I have a badly fitting pink satin dress on, and am sobbing uncontrollably>

MintyDixCharrington Sat 16-Jun-07 22:29:15

Oh Slub!
You sifted from a Great Height!

I'm SOOOOO proud. Your cake looks loverly and you even polished the frame on the Blessed Queen Empress

PMSL

kickassangel Sat 16-Jun-07 20:31:58

H, i live in a village but have managed to Not Get Involved so far. i happily wizz off to work every day & politely chat to passers by at weekens. i DID meet people whilst on mat leave, but was put off by comments about arriving early at church to sit with their friends & decided to back off. however, dd atarts school in sep & i am wondering about joing the pta and becoming head of the playground mafia, by virtue of my supreme cake baking skils (splutter, cough)

Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Jun-07 19:55:13

KAA, longish story,
forgot to buy anything for Harvest Festival, but did have bread mix in the house, shoved it in the bread maker on rapid bake.
Smugly took warm bread to church, dd1 walked up aisle and handed it over to vicar (compliments +++, increased smuggery)etc.
So then for the rest of the service the smell of freshly baked bread is wafting around the church esp into the choir stalls, making them drool and loose concentration on their anthem.

Complaints ++ following the service.

I tell you life in a village is harsh and full of hidden pitfalls.

Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Jun-07 19:51:03

Pidge, why are you fiddling around with a Nigella pastry. Come on woman, get your flour & eggs out, make a VSC, take some piccies, put them in the comp.

You know you want to.

Pidge Sat 16-Jun-07 18:45:05

Love the royal touch slubber!

I'm still boycotting the sponge antics I'm afraid. Am mid preparing Nigella's chocolate pastry filled with white choc and mascarpone and topped with fresh raspberries - yum. And had some left over egg white, so whisked up a meringue whilst I was at it.

Dusts flour off hands and remembers she's supposed to be getting dd2 ready for bed!!

UCM Sat 16-Jun-07 18:03:22

It was a night out at a 'greek' restaurant, where they have tambourines and sorta greekish dancing & entertainment. Much wine consumed and feeling a trifle roughish. Good night though.

kickassangel Sat 16-Jun-07 15:35:16

what happened to make the choir so upset?
did you not show your bread an episode of miss marple before serving their ploughmans?

Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Jun-07 14:38:26
Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Jun-07 11:15:13

KAA, nope no bread. there is Irish Brack (fruit bread), cheese scones, savory quiche, ooooh hang on, have just spotted cottage loaf.

People round here know I do bread in my bread maker (after an incident at Harvest Festival and the choir getting upset), I can't afford to be labeled a cheat.

kickassangel Fri 15-Jun-07 21:51:58

Slubber, is there a bread baking section for your village show? can i make things, postr them you & show them. i know of nothing around her like this!

Pidge Fri 15-Jun-07 20:48:36

Oh cripes - one day away from the cake saga and a veritable torrent of baking issues to catch up with.

Personally I have boycotted the whole VSC thing and made a rather fine banana bread today. Just scoffed a piece. Yum. Now washing it down with wine. Double yum.

Slubberdegullion Fri 15-Jun-07 19:51:43

keep up with the fluids then

ChippyMinton Fri 15-Jun-07 19:43:00

[ugh] I shall merely be nibbling on a lettuce leaf between slices of cake.

Slubberdegullion Fri 15-Jun-07 19:37:52

Chiipy, may I politely suggest if that has been/is going to be your menu over the w/e that you add a few bags of prunes and maybe some sennacot to your shopping basket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now