Steaming Christmas pudding in the oven

(8 Posts)
WerewolvesNotSwearwolves Sun 27-Nov-16 19:14:44

Anyone done it? Did they come out just the same as if you'd done them on the hob?

Chewbecca Sun 27-Nov-16 19:16:03

No but I would expect it to dry it out as you'd be baking as well as just steaming?
Are you short on hob space?

dingalong Sun 27-Nov-16 19:20:51

I've used a slow cooker which has worked well - as I did it overnight

HorraceTheOtter Sun 27-Nov-16 19:23:34

I use a microwave, though always shop bought not home made, so it comes with instructions. Always working in s very well.

MiladyThesaurus Sun 27-Nov-16 19:30:41

It would be fine. Make a Bain Marie, put the Christmas pudding in and cover everything with foil. It'll steam beautifully.

That's actually how the BBC good food mini Christmas pud recipe tells you to cook them. It would work for a full size pudding too.

WerewolvesNotSwearwolves Sun 27-Nov-16 19:43:59

Chewbecca DP has got his knickers in a twist about creating all that steam in the kitchen after I created a bit of a sauna once before, so I was just after a different way of doing it. I thought they'd dry out too, but I have heard that people have done it in the oven. They aren't shop bought ones Horace, I made them yesterday and they take eight hours of steaming! Then another hour or two on Christmas Day.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Sun 27-Nov-16 19:46:44

I use my slow-cookers to steam my puddings.

Chewbecca Sun 27-Nov-16 21:36:50

Why is there so much steam in the kitchen? It should be in the pan, under the lid, not in the kitchen!

I couldn't take the risk with lovingly homemade puddings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now