Sponge cake for moulds

(9 Posts)
CheshireChat Fri 25-Nov-16 19:34:42

I know it sounds a bit weird, but does anyone a sponge recipe that's less crumbly I guess? I have quite a few gorgeous silicone moulds, but my cakes tend to fall apart (the smaller ones in particular).

I used this recipe for a chocolate sponge, can't remember which one for normal sponge.

Anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it?

SpotTheDuck Fri 25-Nov-16 19:36:11

Could you use a genoa sponge recipe? Or a loaf cake recipe? They're more solid so may work better in a mold.

CheshireChat Fri 25-Nov-16 20:16:06

The genoa cake is a no-go because DP isn't keen on dried fruits, but I could try a loaf cake, never thought of that. Thanks.

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 25-Nov-16 20:18:01

I would go with a brioche type dough.

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 25-Nov-16 20:18:31

or look for madeleine receipies

BrieAndChilli Fri 25-Nov-16 20:24:17

Google cake pop recipe, it has a higher ratio of eggs than normal sponge and keeps the shape better.
Also, wait u til the sponge is completely cool before removing from the mold

PartyCityGhoul Fri 25-Nov-16 20:25:03

Madeira is the best type for a moulded cake, it's sturdier. 2 oz butter and sugar, 3 Oz sr flour and 1 egg (and whatever flavours you like) - multiply as necessary to your mould (it's basically a Victoria sponge with a bit more flour). They can be a bit drier so a drizzle can be nice to add once it's out of the mould, but are not necessary. A one-egg makes one thin 6" sandwich tin layer for reference.

If you have a spray bottle (or get one from the pound shop) spray vegetable oil in the mould first rather than trying to grease with butter.

Also, fridge the cake once cool before you take it out. If it's even a little warm it will crack and break coming out of a shaped mould bitter impatient experience

CheshireChat Fri 25-Nov-16 20:51:44

Woo, cake pops, madeleines and brioche. Now I have to try them all so I can pick the best one for St Nick's wink.

That sponge (not tried the icing) is lovely and moist and completely wrong for what I wanted. Luckily, it did work in my big star shaped mould as it was for my son's birthday. Though he left the cake and ate the fruit the strange child...

CheshireChat Fri 25-Nov-16 21:10:40

Missed the Madeira. This will be quite fun as I wanted to try different flavours and textures anyway rather than lots of cakes that look pretty if I can actually get them out but all taste the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now