I need the perfect Christmas pudding recipe and I need it quite soon, thank you

(18 Posts)
margiebargie Mon 21-Nov-16 12:46:47

My friend and lovely neighbour who also happens to be an amazing cook had her first taste of a Christmas pudding the other day (she's Japanese and we don't live in the UK) - she loved it. She's asked me if we can make one together and of course I said yes; she wants to come over on Friday to do it.

I've never made one in my life and I want it to be GOOD, so could you please share your tried, tested and favourite recipes?! I looked a couple up online but they had average ratings.

Thank you!

margiebargie Tue 22-Nov-16 07:59:24

Anyone? Please?

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Nov-16 09:10:39

marge The best recipe for a traditional one is Delia Smith's. It's very good and alcoholic though you IME have to soak the fruit for a bit longer than she says for a really yummy one grin

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Nov-16 09:11:21

Start soaking it today!

margiebargie Tue 22-Nov-16 09:42:09

ppeatfruit Thank you so much! Will get on it immediately!

margiebargie Tue 22-Nov-16 09:45:56

Delia's classic or traditional?

Also - and I realise I've left this all a bit late - if I can't get suet here, is there something I can use instead?!

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Nov-16 10:22:52

Whichever one you fancy. I don't use suet, (most of the family are veggie) I use butter or almond\ olive oil ( I use the oil because we're dairy free.) It doesn't make any difference to the taste grin

reallybadidea Tue 22-Nov-16 10:25:27

Delia's classic and traditional recipes are exactly the same, just make different size/number of puddings.

margiebargie Tue 22-Nov-16 10:35:12

Thank you!

ppeatfruit Tue 22-Nov-16 10:47:39

You're welcome margei grin It sounds like fun making it with a friend who doesn't know about Xmas puddings.

I live in Fr. for 50% of the time and they have no idea about them too! We gave some french friends an english xmas dinner and they loved it! ( though they couldn't quite believe how you're supposed to eat the pudding AFTER so much food to start with !!)

margiebargie Tue 22-Nov-16 18:55:46

ppeat, I think it will be fun - but am worried we've left it too late. Should we do mince pies instead?!

SweetChickadee Tue 22-Nov-16 19:00:08

you haven't left it too late - as long as you have 8 hours to steam it, and yes you have to soak the fruit overnight (at least) first.

SweetChickadee Tue 22-Nov-16 19:01:34

not sure where you are, but I buy frozen suet in the meat section of the supermarket (Canada)

MissBeehiving Tue 22-Nov-16 19:13:32

Tamsin Day Lewis' recipe is marvellous. Crumbly and delicious. I love it so much that DH makes me one for my birthday in May!!!

thecapitalsunited Tue 22-Nov-16 19:18:56

Substituting the suet will probably change the texture and may change how long it will last for. The suet should coat everything when you steam the pudding and when it solidifies it effectively makes the pudding airtight.

I would probably look at making a Christmas cake instead. Mincemeat will need suet too and a pudding will need most of the work doing the day before which defeats the object.

abdabs Wed 23-Nov-16 07:33:43

Hope I'm not too late.

I actually never really liked Christmas Pud until my MIL made this about ten years ago. I loved it. And I've made it ever since! It doesn't have Suet, which I think makes it lighter. It lasts just as long as Suet ones...but not sure why you'd keep it anyway!

It's a huge one, and actually makes more mixture than it says, so I make two approx 900ml ones.

For cooking times the Lakeland website have great advice on timings for different sized bowls beside their pudding bowl which is very helpful.

And steaming in the oven very stress free as pan doesn't dry out so easily.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8370/christmas-pudding-with-citrus-and-spice

If I'm too late maybe next year. Highly recommend.

margiebargie Wed 23-Nov-16 09:13:09

Thanks so much abdabs, looks like it could be the perfect solution!

ppeatfruit Wed 23-Nov-16 09:38:30

I don't reckon you've left it too late * Margie* mince pies are ,of course, easier. They could be frozen I suppose. thcapitalisunited
I make mincemeat for Xmas too and along with my Xmas puddings I haven't used suet (unless you count veg. suet which I didn't like either it's full of hydrogenated fat) for many years ). Everyone likes the puddings, there are sooo many ingredients that you don't notice. the lack of suet.

IMO and E the 'lightness' is created by the breadcrumbs.

I also gently bake the mince meat, following Delia Smith's recipe. which does wonders for it's keeping qualities , along with the alcohol of course grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now