2kg beef slow roast joint for lunch - does this mean getting up very early indeed?

(23 Posts)
AllTheShoes Mon 21-Nov-16 09:31:39

I've got a 2kg beef joint which it says is for slow roasting - fine, I've got a slow cooker and a lovely recipe for brisket which I think will work. BUT, it's for lunch not supper. Does anyone know how early I need to get up to put it in the slow cooker to be done for 1.00? Or whether I can slow cook it a bit faster in the oven instead?

Scarydinosaurs Mon 21-Nov-16 09:32:43

How long does your recipe say to cook it for? Can you put it on overnight and then use keep warm option for the last few hours?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 21-Nov-16 09:33:20

I regularly slow cook beef for dinner yesterday we were eating at 2 so I sealed the beef and out it on low at 6am.....

A good 8 hours on low is needed but you could reduce this to 6 probably on the high setting, or just push lunch back to 2 or 3?

Enelya Mon 21-Nov-16 09:34:58

We put everything in the pot the night before then use one of those timer plugs to switch it on at 6am

MissSueFlay Mon 21-Nov-16 09:35:07

I use a timer for my slow-cooker - one that you plug into the plug socket. Prepare the meat the night before and set it to come on at whatever time it needs to in the morning. Nothing like the smell of roasting beef with your morning toast! grin

RoganJosh Mon 21-Nov-16 09:36:13

If you google pot roast beef then the recipes look more like 2-4hours.

SoupDragon Mon 21-Nov-16 09:39:00

I was also going to suggest putting it on the night before with a timer plug. It's not going to be warm over night whilst it's waiting to come on.

AllTheShoes Mon 21-Nov-16 10:06:25

Thanks, I think I need to go and buy a timer.

My recipe says 8 hours on low, and I can't push lunch any later (1.00 is pushing it anyway, as some of the small visitors usually eat at 12.00), so it's either a timer or put it on overnight. Or get up very early.

I'm reluctant to put it on high, as I think it might be tough - has anyone tried this?

overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 21-Nov-16 10:08:31

I made one yesterday that was nearly 1 kg. Put it in at 8 am and it was ready by 1 (but in a Le Creuset rather than slow cooker). Double the amount of time for slow cooker. I reckon 8 hours.

Please could you share your recipe? I did mine in beer with carrots, onions, worc sauce, and added some chestnuts at the end.

overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 21-Nov-16 10:09:33

To answer your latest question - I would put it in overnight. Go for long and low... Don't go for high, it will be dry (even in the slow cooker)

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 21-Nov-16 10:12:37

I have toddlers so up early anyway hence the 6am start lol!

AllTheShoes Mon 21-Nov-16 10:16:06

I can probably persuade DH to watch a move and go to bed late, and set it going then grin

My brisket recipe is more of a rough guide (so increase / decrease quantities depending on size of joint and what looks right), but it does come out well no matter what I do:
2 onions, in big slices
4 cloves of garlic, minced
5 carrots, chopped
3 tbspn ketchup
2 tbspn red wine vinegar
2 tbspn brown sugar
Salt
Pepper

Put onions in bottom of slow cooker. Add beef joint fat side up on top. Sprinkle on garlic and carrots. Mix ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar in small bowl and then rub into the beef. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the slow cooker.

If you want to make gravy, take out the meat and veg (slotted spoon, or strain it) then turn up the slow cooker / put the juices in a pan on the hob, add 2 tbspn of flour and stir until thickened. Add some Worcestershire sauce if it needs more flavour.

It's nice with mash, to sog up the gravy.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 21-Nov-16 10:32:10

I do mine a bit differently, very simple bit very tasty. onions, carrots and leeks in the bottom, seal my beef in a pan on all sides, beef goes on top of the veg.

Red wine into the beef pan to de-glaze, reduce it then add to the slow cooker. Make up 2 pints of rich beef stock and pour over the top, season and add the lid. Leave on low for 8 hours.

Half an hour before eating, take the beef out to rest, use an ice cube on the top of the stock to remove any fat, add cornflower granules or thickener of choice, turn to high and leave off the lid- this will then turn all the stock into lovely rich gravy smile

AllTheShoes Mon 21-Nov-16 10:33:48

Ice cube? I skim with kitchen towel, I don't know about using an ice cube. How does it work and what do you do?

overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 21-Nov-16 10:45:52

Great! Not wanting to take over the thread, but some great recipe ideas! I wasn't sure if I'd made mine correctly - it was delish! I service it with cabbage braised in fried onion, green beans, & mashed pots, with rich gravy as per PP! Very cheap joint and some left over for sandwiches. WIll be buying more often!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 21-Nov-16 11:29:14

the cold attracts the fat and sticks to it so you are left with just meat juices and stock, a lost rich non-greasy gravy

Scarydinosaurs Mon 21-Nov-16 12:19:25

Freak what an amazing tip!!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 21-Nov-16 12:21:45

It really works! I always have tonnes of gravy left as well so use it later for say bangers and mash or freeze it smile

Scarydinosaurs Mon 21-Nov-16 12:29:49

I could kiss you! No more skimming fat off gravy!!

overthehillandroundthemountain Mon 21-Nov-16 12:45:16

Very clever tip! I'd read about it but wasn't sure how to implement. Sooo clever smile

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 21-Nov-16 12:50:23

I know, I used to dread doing it til a colleague told me. I could never do chicken gravy before with it being so greasy, but now it's a doddle smile

itwillbebetter Tue 22-Nov-16 06:28:26

I cooked a 2.5kg silverside joint this weekend. It went in at 6.30 am high for 2 hours. It only then took 3 hours on low and it was beautiful👍🏻

AllTheShoes Tue 22-Nov-16 19:45:37

itwill That's very reassuring to know, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now