Veg soup help please! Leftover ingredients need using up.

(24 Posts)
lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 11:10:42

I have the following leftovers :

Butternut squash
Sweet potato
Swede
Pumpkin

I want to make a yummy veg soup and popping to the shops later. What else should I add?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 20-Nov-16 11:17:06

Onion, beans or pulses like chickpeas, something green, spinach?

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 20-Nov-16 11:18:50

onion, garlic herbs (de provence?)
for protein some cheese?

Eminybob Sun 20-Nov-16 11:22:20

Veg wise to what you already have I would just add onion and garlic.
You could make it spiced by adding some cumin and coriander, or curry powder. I made pumpkin soup at Halloween and also added a tin of coconut milk. It was really tasty.

MaureenMLove Sun 20-Nov-16 11:24:03

I'd definitely go for something creamy in it. That's a very sweet selection of veg.

Chelsea26 Sun 20-Nov-16 11:24:07

Yeah but a couple of red onions, chop the lot and roast it in the oven with seasoning, maybe some chilli powder or rosemary/thyme.

Meanwhile cook some yellow split peas in vegetable stock then combine and blitz!

I want some now

indecisivecantdecide Sun 20-Nov-16 11:24:46

Onion, chicken or vegetable stock and dash of mixed herbs and pepper for seasoning. Cream just before serving if you like it creamy, curry powder if you like curry flavour.

ChuckGravestones Sun 20-Nov-16 11:26:15

I'd roast the squash and pumpkin [although I would make 2 soups - one with BNS and one with Pumpkin in it] in chilli and cumin, and add it to an onion base one with the swede and one with the sweet potato.

It is always good to add pulses to soup - for these, lentils would do well. Plus a tin of tomatoes. And the usual garlic and associated spices.

ChuckGravestones Sun 20-Nov-16 11:26:33

And celery is always good in a soup.

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 11:27:39

My mouth is watering now! grin

Yes it is a sweet selection - I was making baby purees with them. Happy to add anything else so the whole family can enjoy the rest though.

WalterWhitesNipple Sun 20-Nov-16 12:13:48

Spinach and Stilton

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 16:51:43

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm currently roasting the pumpkin and swede. I have onions, garlic, cumin, red lentils and coconut milk. I'm thinking of chucking it all in but not completely sure!

I am steering clear of chilli as the 3yr old won't like it.

dementedma Sun 20-Nov-16 16:55:35

I love veg soup and make loads but that all sounds too sweet for me. Not a fan of squashes at all. So can't be of any assistance whatsoever.blush

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 16:57:12

Oh! I have celery too. Does that help demented?

dementedma Sun 20-Nov-16 17:03:00

Erm, not really grin.
Currently in my freezer I have quite a few home made soups ready for lunches at work:
Spicy tomato
Pea and ham
Carrot and lentil.
Leek and potato.

Nary a squash in sight!

Frouby Sun 20-Nov-16 17:03:22

I made a sweet potato and squash soup a few weeks ago. It was very sweet and sickly.

I would definitely add onions and celery. I would probably omit the sweet potato and make chips with that instead for dunking. And add something warm and spicy at the end after taking some out for the non spicy people!

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 17:05:14

Oh good idea frouby thanks. The sweet potato and squash are sitting this one out. It would have been too much for my pot!

Demented your selection sounds lovely.

Penfold007 Sun 20-Nov-16 17:13:56

I make soup with sweet potatoes and squash or pumpkin. Chop an onion and the veg, cook in stock until soft with salt, pepper and sage if you have it. Blitz until smooth and add a tub of creme fraiche, reheat gently. My DC love it

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 17:16:26

Thank you penfold that sounds yum. I'm in two minds about blitzing it. I suppose I'll have to if I'm roasting the veg?

I'm completely winging it re quantities etc. The result will be interesting!

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 17:27:08

Bit nervous.

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 18:46:41

Hurray! It ended up looking (and tasting) like soup! Very nice it was too.

Thanks again everyone.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 20-Nov-16 18:58:39

Well done, it looks lovely

I always wing it with soup too, it's easy to adjust it as you go along

lostindubai Sun 20-Nov-16 20:26:31

Thanks Costa blush Felt like I was eating something healthy too, added bonus! I'll definitely try something different next time and won't be afraid to experiment.

Penfold007 Sun 20-Nov-16 22:02:25

Looks yummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now