Most used recipe book

(11 Posts)
puffinpants Sun 20-Nov-16 10:23:44

Thinking about my Christmas list!

What's your most used cookbook? I'm a by of a geek and have counted how many recipes I've made out of my 'favourites'. I'd have said my favourite is Rick stein far eastern odyssey (8) but the count reveals ts actually The third Hairy Dieters book (21) and the Jamie family classics book is doing well at 18 considering that I've had Rick Stein for a few years and Jamie for a couple of months....

So what books do you actually use the most?

Cookingongas Sun 20-Nov-16 12:43:36

You're not alone. I'm even more of a geek and have eatyourbooks- where I save my favourites, and put a note on all tries recipes and collect my data from there.

My most used cookbook is made in India. I've made almost every recipe and never had a fail. Beautiful book.

Followed by sirocco (which I've only had two months but adore) and jewelled kitchen.

Then whole foods slow cooked , another lovely cookbook.

CaptainWarbeck Mon 21-Nov-16 11:40:18

Mine is Dan Lepard Short and Sweet. All the recipes have been good, there's a mix of savoury, bread and then mostly baking. It's really good, I use it as my go to book if I want to make something I haven't made before and need a recipe.

NickyEds Mon 21-Nov-16 16:53:48

Real food by Nigel Slater- I've got loads of cook books and I think this is the only one that I've made every recipe that's in it.

Good House keeping- I use this like a reference book for basics such as pastry, white sauce etc.

If I could only keep two then these two are the ones but I also like Nigella Express, Jamie at Home and Rick Steins far eastern odyssey. ....

And The Food of Italy....

And The Hairy Bikers Mum Knows Best

This is why I have too many cook books!

BonusNewt Mon 21-Nov-16 16:55:19

Jamie's 15 Minute Meals, Sainsbury's Winter Collection (or Winter something) and one about rice and potato dishes, called something creative like Potatoes and Rice.

Hastalapasta Mon 21-Nov-16 16:56:46

Most of the afore mentioned, also the River Cottage series. Great, no fuss dishes that I make a lot.

CaptainWarbeck Tue 22-Nov-16 03:52:32

Oh God Nigel Slater Real Food is epic just to sit and drool over his discussion of his favourite foods too... chicken, ice cream, cheese, potatoes...

River Cottage Veg Every Day gets used a lot here too.

dannyglick Fri 25-Nov-16 12:06:05

These days, I use Slimming World recipe books and magazines, but the book which is falling to pieces due to frequent use is the original Dairy Book of Home Cookery (70's, I think).
I always look for it if I go into a second hand book shop, as I'd like to pass a copy on to DS, who likes cooking traditional meals.

NannyR Fri 25-Nov-16 12:14:29

Nigella Lawson How to eat is my most used book, it has basic stuff in it like how to make pastry and meringue. It's a good book to read as well as use for recipes although there are no photos.
It's quite dated now though, it must be twenty years old.

ppeatfruit Fri 25-Nov-16 13:30:03

NannyR If you want dated I love Jane Grigson's Vegetable book, it has a chapter for each vegetable in alphabetical order. I think it was published in the 1970s grin. I'll find it and check grin

ppeatfruit Fri 25-Nov-16 13:52:44

Yes it was written in 1978 and apart from a few strange comments, it's great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now