Easy make ahead Christmas starters?

(5 Posts)
Monroe Sat 19-Nov-16 18:42:56

We haven't bothered with starters since having DC's however they are both a bit older now and it is our first time doing Christmas dinner in our new house and I'd like to make one this year.

I'm having an operation mid December though and I'm not sure how I'll be recovery wise by then so I plan on making everything as easy as possible. Plus I don't want to be faffing too much on the day so anything I can pretty much sort the day before with the rest of the prep would be great.

So what are your favourite starters? Ideally something quite light and not too filling and the DC's will enjoy

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 19-Nov-16 22:19:26

I like to keep the starter really light more often go for canapés than a sit down starter, usually things like smoked salmon blinis and little puff pastry bites with Brie and cranberry. At my work Xmas meal last year I had 'melon snow' which was just thin slices of melon with lemon sorbet, it was perfect as so light, so might go for that this year, trying to decide between that and a fig and blue cheese salad although that might not be overly child friendly.Also have a request for caramelised red onion tartlets. Decisions decisions!

Monroe Sun 20-Nov-16 08:26:41

Thank you. The brie and cranberry sounds lovely as does the melon snow. I think that would be a winner all round.
Do you have a recipe can i buy it ready prepared
Something light and refreshing is just what I want

BrieAndChilli Sun 20-Nov-16 08:29:12

One year we had baked camerbert with nice bread and veg sticks. Kids loved and it and all you have to do is chuck the cheese in the oven.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 20-Nov-16 13:28:35

I can't claim to make my own sorbet, but Waitrose do a lovely one! I use honey dew and cantaloupe melons, just cut into slices on the day (would be fine to slice day before and cling film in the fridge) then just plate with a quinelle (or dollop!) of sorbet on the day.
Waitrose sell mini Brie and cranberry filo tarts in their party range or or if you fancy doing it yourself just cut squares of ready rolled puff, score a narrow border round the edges and prick the middle with a fork, pop in the oven for 10 mins, then remove and squash down the middles. Add a piece of Brie to each square and a teaspoon of cranberry sauce. Egg wash the boarder then pt back in the oven for 7 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now