I hereby declare Crumpet Season open!

(7 Posts)
TheKitchenWitch Wed 16-Nov-16 18:08:39

As (almost) every year around this time, I shall be making crumpets because I'm not in the UK and can't get them here (Germany) and I bloody love a crumpet for breakfast on a cold and foggy morning.
And as every year, I invite anyone who'd like to share recipes, tips, crumpet ring experiences (fnar fnar) to join me :D

I've given up on crumpet rings - even the very expensive ones don't stop the batter sticking and I end up battling to get my crumpets out (snigger).
Instead, I am using a pancake pan I got for Christmas last year. It's for making small american-style pancakes, or blinis, has 7 "holes" each of which is pretty much crumpet-sized.
So far I've been pleased with the results - they aren't as perfectly round as perhaps from a ring (there is some overspill), but they are easy to turn and cook beautifully, plus I can do seven at once.

The only thing (as ever) is I still haven't found the definitive recipe which gives me lots and lots of holes.

So, would anyone care to join me?

reallybadidea Thu 17-Nov-16 14:10:54

Ooh, just my kind of thread grin

I've had a number of attempts at crumpets over the years and I think I've perfected my technique. For stopping them sticking I use this stuff. It's really handy to have a jar in the fridge for general use, but it does work extremely well for crumpets. Not even a hint of stickage when used with my non-stick rings. I don't add the batter until the rings have heated up which I think helps.

My new favourite recipe is sourdough crumpets. It does help that I have a great sourdough starter on the go, but it is SO easy because I just feed the starter in the morning, leave it to bubble away during the day then mix 300g of it with 1/2 tsp of bicarb, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tbsp runny honey. I reckon making them not too thick and cooking them really slowly makes for lots of holes on the top so that the top has a chance to dry out before the bottom burns. The holiest (holeyest?) ones I've made were the ones where I started them cooking them on a really low heat, promptly forgot about them for 10 minutes while I played a game of battleships with ds and only remembered them when they were dry on the top grin

Any other crumpet bakers out there?!

TheKitchenWitch Thu 17-Nov-16 15:41:58

Oh I think you're right about v. low heat. I shall do that next time, really really really low heat so they are basically drying out rather than cooking.
I did another batch this morning as they are being eaten very quickly, despite the lack of holes :D

I've given up on the rings, even greasing them didn't work. I'm happy with the pancake pan, plus I get seven in one go, so for a regular batch of batter I only have to cook twice.

I've never tried sourdough crumpets - do they taste different? I don't have a starter at the moment, and am unlikely to have the time to get one going and feed it etc (ds2 is, ahem, "challenging") but I shall bear it in mind for next year.

reallybadidea Thu 17-Nov-16 16:17:46

They do taste a bit different, a little bit tangy like sourdough bread. I mainly like them because I barely have to do anything to make it into crumpet batter. Sourdough pancakes and waffles are also really good.

I might have to investigate the pancake pan - 7 in one go sounds appealing! Although I'd probably just eat 7 in one go grin

FantasticBeasts Thu 17-Nov-16 18:05:13

I made them last week and will probably do so again this weekend - lovely grin. I use the Delia recipe and a fab pan I bought last year - easy glide or something like that.

I do use rings, just the KitchenCraft egg rings .... and have no problem getting them out!

TheKitchenWitch Fri 18-Nov-16 16:52:59

We are getting through rather a lot of them, it has to be said.

Does the Delia recipe add bicarb later?

FantasticBeasts Fri 18-Nov-16 16:58:20

It doesn't include bicarb, only yeast, flour, salt, sugar and milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now