Nutritious meals I can freeze for after baby's arrival?

(13 Posts)
MalbecAndLindt Sat 29-Oct-16 16:39:41

This is probably super early but we'll be moving soon so I'm trying to get prepared, make lists, etc. Our first baby is due in February and I'd like to make a few meals for the freezer for after the birth. So far, I'm thinking beef chilli, mixed bean chilli, 2 different soups, lasagne, and a pasta sauce, but would like to add another 2 meals to the list. Any suggestions on what would be good? Not bolognese as my dad makes a lovely one which he will happily make for us and they live close by so can bring it when they visit baby. Stuck for inspiration!

heyohh Sat 29-Oct-16 16:42:14

no freezer ideas sorry, we lived on m and s chuck in the oven meals, rotisserie chicken and ready to roast veg etc.

CMOTDibbler Sat 29-Oct-16 16:43:56

Make more soup, and things like savoury muffins, calzone etc for your lunch. Reason is, your dp/dh will be around in the evening and can cook - but at lunchtime you'll be on your own and if you have a velcro baby making a nutritious lunch is hard

ChristmasEvePJs Sat 29-Oct-16 16:44:17

A good curry to pair with microwavable rice or a baked potato (frozen ones are fab).

BradleyPooper Sat 29-Oct-16 16:44:24

If you have a slow cooker, google "dump dinners", basically a load of ingredients that you assemble in plastic bags with spices and seasonings etc. You freeze them, defrost the night before and dump them in the slow cooker in the morning. It's an American idea but works really well.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Sat 29-Oct-16 16:45:03

Spag vol sauce
Chilli con carne
Stews
Soup

Utini Sat 29-Oct-16 16:45:53

Cottage pie, casserole, curry.

DarkLikeVader Sat 29-Oct-16 16:52:06

Totally agree with CMOTdibbler - I didn't cook an evening meal until dd was three months old as DH did all of them - but things for lunch would have been very helpful so soups in individual portions, savoury muffins, things like that.

ChristmasEvePJs Sat 29-Oct-16 17:01:50

I also prep smoothie bags and freeze for the month ahead, super easy to fling in the blender and blitz from frozen. Its a good boost.

MalbecAndLindt Sat 29-Oct-16 17:17:52

Thanks for the suggestions already -- okay, so will add a curry to the list for my lunches (BBC Good Food have an awesome one crammed with veg which will be great), plus love the idea of muffins and smoothie mixtures. The latter will be ideal just to throw in our Nutribullet.

I'm after evening meal suggestions as DP doesn't get home until 6-6.15pm, I'd rather he spent time with the baby rather than cooking, but loving the ideas. Any other bits of inspiration? These are already helping!

ChristmasEvePJs Sat 29-Oct-16 17:22:57

Ratatouille is great on ready made puff pastry with feta and pine nuts for instant veg tart with salad.

Ps. Just opened a bottle of Malbec, shall have one for you!

MessyBun247 Sat 29-Oct-16 17:26:26

Stir fry with lots of veg? Then just add microwave rice.

MalbecAndLindt Sat 29-Oct-16 17:40:15

Christmas that sounds delicious, definitely adding to my list! Enjoy the wine, it's one thing I am missing on a Saturday evening. My dad is getting me a bottle of my favourite Malbec for Christmas ready for me to enjoy when I can grin wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now