Dinner for my dessert?

(10 Posts)
MermaidTears Tue 25-Oct-16 20:58:31

Hi!
I am hosting friends over next weekend for a birthday night, and have decided on a dessert, homemade banana fritters with honey spice ice cream....
Which meal would you put before this?
I know I've done it back to front but this recipe caught my eye!

Does anyone agree that certain foods don't go together? I asked my mum and she looked at me like I was mad!

For example I would never have indian curry then a English style dessert like sticky toffee pudding. I would choose pistachios ice cream or something similar to go after curry.

Thanks in advance!

Blondie1984 Tue 25-Oct-16 21:55:50

Well as that is the dessert you get most often in Chinese restaurants then why not do something oriental inspired?
This braised beef recipe looks nice and is one of those things that you do well ahead of time - and then when your guests arrive you just need to do the rice- so would be less effort intensive that your fritters....

MermaidTears Tue 25-Oct-16 22:02:46

Does sound nice. I actually just remembered last time I went to a Chinese buffet they serves banana or apple fritters, you are right!
Chinese inspired meal it is.
Maybe even a stir fry with spring rolls and seaweed would be nice.
Thanks!

Allalonenow Tue 25-Oct-16 22:11:14

Confit of duck with mashed potatoes and mixed green vegetables eg, broccoli green beans and peas. can all be prepared ahead of time and just quickly cook the vegetable medly while the first course is being eaten.

I'd just do something simple and light for the starter, perhaps fresh figs with parma ham or individual portions of potted shrimps with brown bread and butter.

FledglingFTB Tue 25-Oct-16 22:13:19

Thai curry would be delish

MermaidTears Wed 26-Oct-16 08:31:55

Figs starter sounds lovely!
Also my favourite thing is anything with mash and vegetables, so I may do duck for them. Just need to find a vegetarian alternative for me. I have seen Chinese style things in tesco vegetarian section, so fingers crossed

Allalonenow Wed 26-Oct-16 10:46:51

Here is a vegetarian alternative,
Fresh figs with feta (or similar) chopped walnuts, pomegranate seeds all on some baby leaves with French dressing.
For the main course, keep the mash and veg that you love and have with mushroom vol au vents or an open tart of tomatoes peppers and courgettes.

MermaidTears Wed 26-Oct-16 11:30:45

alla that sounds delicious I've just added it all to my shopping list for next week smile thankyou for your help.

Allalonenow Wed 26-Oct-16 11:42:50

Have a great birthday dinner! smile wine

MermaidTears Wed 26-Oct-16 21:47:23

Thankyou x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now